Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2012, 14:52   #46
BHPian

Re: Hyderabad Hard Top (Thar)

How does one go about booking it....and what would be the lead time for delivery along with the anti roll bar setup. Excellent and practical design by Prabhu. Can the costs as well as booking order process be shared for the top and the anti roll bar

Regards....
Old 28th January 2012, 15:55   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick56 View Post
The design of the hardtop is spot on, good job guys
BTW am a fam of New Mars designs by Prabhu/Fazal bhai, love the Rubicon replica....
Questions about the HT
- can it be made without the roof rails, too short for my liking
- can the two roof panels be avoided in the front, leaving only the back one for, photographers
Quote:
Originally Posted by vj_k2001 View Post
How does one go about booking it....and what would be the lead time for delivery along with the anti roll bar setup. Excellent and practical design by Prabhu. Can the costs as well as booking order process be shared for the top and the anti roll bar

Regards....
There will be different versions of the HT made available for sure.
The roof rails are an add on for the sun-roof version alone. This is actually a grab rail for people standing (not a luggage rack one)
The anti roll bar setup is independent of the HT. I've not looked into the actual design,but I'm guessing you would have to send your jeep over for it to be custom fitted.

Rest of the details shall follow post the corrections/modifications made after the HT's first OTR @ Bangalore. I suppose 1st/2nd week Feb would be the right time for Prabhu to start answering the commercial queries .
Old 28th January 2012, 20:53   #48
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
What is the thought process behind not having rectangular cutouts for the roof panels?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 28th January 2012, 21:12   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Hi,
What is the thought process behind not having rectangular cutouts for the roof panels?

Regards
Sutripta
An aesthetic touch that looks good from outside. The Thar front roof is sloped forward naturally and this feature adds to the design instead of looking plain.

Last edited by absynthguzzler : 28th January 2012 at 21:13.
Old 28th January 2012, 21:27   #50
Senior - BHPian

^^^
Form before function!

My take:
The protrusion will dig into the torso of the person standing.
Will make implementing a 'tilt/take out' scheme that much more difficult. I feel the tilt function will be very useful. For venting out hot air trapped in the car (when stationary). And as a vent when moving. Remember our practice of driving with the windscreen slightly open.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 28th January 2012, 22:07   #51
BHPian

Quote:
^^^
Form before function!

My take:
The protrusion will dig into the torso of the person standing.
Will make implementing a 'tilt/take out' scheme that much more difficult. I feel the tilt function will be very useful. For venting out hot air trapped in the car (when stationary). And as a vent when moving. Remember our practice of driving with the windscreen slightly open.

Regards
Sutripta
Surely any sane person would use the front sunroofs for standing only whilst vehicle is stationary. In that case digging of the protrusions is negated and not sharp edged to feel uncomfortable even. Tilt design is still viable , I don't see how the protrusions hinder it. Of course these are features that can be implemented ....as long as its guaranteed to be leak proof in the long run. When producing items in small numbers, it just not viable to go through extensive trials and ensure a part open roof to be successfully implemented considering the speeds a THAR can do. Function does come before form. And when it doesn't ....be creative ! .

Last edited by absynthguzzler : 28th January 2012 at 22:11.
absynthguzzler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2012, 09:29   #52
Team-BHP Support

During the Annual Bangalore OTR I was able to check out this hard top. Even though it is still a prototype, the fit and finish look very good. I suspect it will be impeccable once fully finished. I rode the Jeep in a very rocky terrain and I could hear nothing, not a squeak from the hard top. I was even more impressed by the roll cage that is right under the hard top.

This will be a great product.

PS: Sorry, I couldn't shoot any photos from inside since I thought we still had 1.5 days to do it. But I never got to see it after that.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2012, 10:33   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
During the Annual Bangalore OTR I was able to check out this hard top. Even though it is still a prototype, the fit and finish look very good. I suspect it will be impeccable once fully finished. I rode the Jeep in a very rocky terrain and I could hear nothing, not a squeak from the hard top. I was even more impressed by the roll cage that is right under the hard top.

This will be a great product.

PS: Sorry, I couldn't shoot any photos from inside since I thought we still had 1.5 days to do it. But I never got to see it after that.

Cheers on the feedback , very encouraging !

Last night, Ravs popped by to light the chimney before crashing out after the long drive . I had 2 mins to go around the car and look at the after effects of the OTR.

1. Quite a few scratches on the HT -whether its caused by extremely narrow trails with strong thorns on both sides or just normal branches is to be concluded . Probably a different finish is to be provided to the hard core OTR buyers lol.

2. some minor mods were already accomplished during the highway drive to suit the Thar speeds and suppression of road noise - these are to be incorporated into the design.

Shall await feedback and more pics before we list out the mods.

Rest i suppose
Old 29th January 2012, 12:02   #54
BHPian

I had a chance to look at the top as well during the OTR. Amazing fit and finish and have learned a few things from it! It looks compact and neat and all the vehicle had the bad scratches on them including mine...lots of brush and scrub on the trail.

I did not get a chance to ride in it, but had a chat with Samurai about it as well during the OTR and he is very justified in his statements about it being silent.

Regards,
Manas
manasm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2012, 14:07   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasm View Post
I had a chance to look at the top as well during the OTR. Amazing fit and finish and have learned a few things from it! It looks compact and neat and all the vehicle had the bad scratches on them including mine...lots of brush and scrub on the trail.

I did not get a chance to ride in it, but had a chat with Samurai about it as well during the OTR and he is very justified in his statements about it being silent.

Regards,
Manas
Manas,

Very gracious of you.

The top was on test on highway and off road terrain, (reason the Rubicon type had to be dropped at the last moment for this OTR).

On the highway there was wind whistling from above the A pillar at 80-120 kmph, the leak was identified and pasted with fevicol.

No problem on the OTR and zero rattle and squeaks after it though the Thar articulated at its max as stated by Sharat to you, he rode as the front passenger midway of the OTR.
Regards,
Awaiting pics from Ravveendrra.
Old 29th January 2012, 19:02   #56
BHPian

Thanks Fazal, for the pictures of the HT. I must say that it is very tastefully done ! The design of the HT also seems to gel in very well with the natural contours of the jeep.Is the MRP fixed yet?
Old 29th January 2012, 20:53   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
Surely any sane person would use the front sunroofs for standing only whilst vehicle is stationary. In that case digging of the protrusions is negated and not sharp edged to feel uncomfortable even.
I think the 'spotter' worked from a moving vehicle.

Tilt design is still viable , I don't see how the protrusions hinder it.
The base on which it tilts is now narrower. One corner now essentially unsupported. Might flutter/ create noise under wind loads. As I said, just that much more difficult. Not impossible.
Hi,
Don't get me wrong. I think it's a great effort. But better to think through as much as possible. Because once production starts, it is very difficult to change anything.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 30th January 2012, 01:15   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
Don't get me wrong. I think it's a great effort. But better to think through as much as possible. Because once production starts, it is very difficult to change anything.

Regards
Sutripta
Ah! well , i get your point now Sutripta sir. I was thinking of a back side opening tilt so that we avoid too much air gushing in and stressing the joints whilst your suggestion is of a front opening.Yes indeed, in your case, there would be a "loose end" .

It would have to be back side opening , similar to all ventilator modes as provided in auto sunroofs. This would remove the case of a loose end as described cause the lift-hinge would be centrally placed ( or two on either sides)

PS: Never got you wrong , its what this forum is for and thats why Prabhu's HT is being discussed.
Old 30th January 2012, 09:53   #59
Senior - BHPian

All the reports so far seem very encouraging. Just a small querry. Would there be a top without the openings whatsoever ? Then the question of leakages of water etc are not going to have to be addressed at all :-) Would also bring down the cost I guess..

Looking forward to the pics & further details

Cheers
Old 30th January 2012, 11:03   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
All the reports so far seem very encouraging. Just a small querry. Would there be a top without the openings whatsoever ? Then the question of leakages of water etc are not going to have to be addressed at all :-) Would also bring down the cost I guess..

Looking forward to the pics & further details
Ricky,

Planning two variants, with the opening panels a must for outdoor guys, wildlife enthusiasts, photographers and also without the top opening panels for guys who don't need it.

There will, should be no leakages on either models.

Further pics are awaited from Ravveendrra's camera.
Regards,
fazalaliadil is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks