Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2012, 10:05   #1
BHPian

Mahindra MM550's rear starts shuddering at 60+ kph

Lately I've been noticing a strange, but worrisome issue with my 550. This has not happened in the past 2.5 years since she was rebuilt.

At speeds greater than 60+ kmph, 4th gear engaged in 2wd, regular tarmac driving, the rear of the Jeep starts to shudder, and acceleration does not go beyond 60 (hovers around that).
The problem shows up quite frequently (although erratically)
I did get the leafs serviced most recently [2 months, ago]

Needed help and guidance in diagnosing and fixing this issue - and would greatly appreciate folks to chime in ... The Jeep is my daily driver.
Old 9th March 2012, 10:14   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Help - 550 rear shudders at 60+ kmph

Lugnut,

The shuddering and vibration from the rear end points to a misaligned, rear propeller shaft, this also happens at higher speeds as the shaft rotation increases and vibrations are more pronounced.

Also check the GB and aux GB foundations if old and change them.
Regards,
fazalaliadil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2012, 12:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut View Post
At speeds greater than 60+ kmph, 4th gear engaged in 2wd, regular tarmac driving, the rear of the Jeep starts to shudder, folks to chime in ...

Universal joint, maybe, also known as the cross over. That's the thing attached to the propeller that allows rotation at an angle. Also check spindle and O-ring going into the rear differential.

Do you notice any slap, clank, clunk or shudder when you alternately accellerate and decellerate in relatively quick succession at around 40-60? If so, check crossover and spindle.
DirtyDan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2012, 13:04   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut View Post
Lately I've been noticing a strange, but worrisome issue with my 550. This has not happened in the past 2.5 years since she was rebuilt.

At speeds greater than 60+ kmph, 4th gear engaged in 2wd, regular tarmac driving, the rear of the Jeep starts to shudder, and acceleration does not go beyond 60 (hovers around that).
The problem shows up quite frequently (although erratically)
I did get the leafs serviced most recently [2 months, ago]

Needed help and guidance in diagnosing and fixing this issue - and would greatly appreciate folks to chime in ... The Jeep is my daily driver.
Hi Lugnut,

Please check the rear Leaf spring U-Clamp.

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2012, 18:05   #5
BHPian

Check if the tyres are seated on the rims correctly, I had a shuddering in my fiat that was ultimately solved by reseating the bead.
boeuff is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2012, 15:41   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
U
Do you notice any slap, clank, clunk or shudder when you alternately accellerate and decellerate in relatively quick succession at around 40-60? If so, check crossover and spindle.
Yup - slap/clank-clank - heard it - thanks DD.
Old 15th March 2012, 18:25   #7
BANNED

Re: Mahindra MM550's rear starts shuddering at 60+ kph

Just a thought ,
Does this vehicle has a LSD ?

Arkaji -- please comment ( since you know this well ) -- you know what I am pointing at

Sudarshan
Old 15th March 2012, 19:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
Just a thought ,
Does this vehicle has a LSD ?

Arkaji -- please comment ( since you know this well ) -- you know what I am pointing at
Sudarshan JEE,

The LSD will not cause the rear to shudder, at worst it chirp or squeal, on a straight line.

Even an Auto-Locker will not cause the rear to shudder, provided you are doing 50-60-70kmph on a straight line.

Regards,

Arka
Old 16th March 2012, 13:00   #9
Senior - BHPian

Universal joints wear out. This is common and normal. Considering the work they do and the friction involved, they do a pretty good job. But they will go away sooner or later. When they start to wear out the joint is no longer tight or maybe one of its sides is locking up and it will resist rotation. At certain speeds the harmonics of rotation will produce a shudder. With a little more wear the joint will 'clank' or 'clunk' upon accelleration/decelleration all the time because the joint has worn some slack into it. You have all probably seen big trucks on the side of the road from time to time with the driveshaft laying on the ground. This is usually because the universal failed completely. Universals are not too expensive. To pre-empt trouble on the road, when one of my universals shows signs of wear, I usually change both universals on that propeller because the other one is probably about ready to wear out, too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks