Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2012, 11:05   #1
BHPian

Ford Endeavour 4x4 - Noise when steering is locked to the left

Vehicle: Ford Endeavour 4x4
Stock tyre size: 245/70R16, purchased Jul '11
Current size: 31x10.5x15, Upgraded: sometime in Oct '11

Action: Twist steering complete left till the end and move vehicle. E.g., reversing in tight spots, left hand u-turn.

Observation: a grinding or rattling noise of metal, from the front right hand portion of the vehicle. Same doesn't occur when done on the right (which I do pretty often for u-turns).

Further information: no load whatsoever, only two occupants including me (driver) in the front seats.

Occurrence pattern: started observing this two days before when my vehicle as at a garage for lights fitment, and had to be reversed and straightened multiple times in order to park at some spots in the work area. Observed yesterday when reversing/parking into tight spots. With > 95% confidence, I can say I've never observed this before this weekend.

Dear Gurus, what could be wrong? Where should I take my vehicle: to the wheel alignment garage or the ASSC?
Old 12th March 2012, 11:16   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Grinding/rattling noise from front on complete twist of steering to the left

Grinding noise(at standstill) when Hydraulic power steering is held at complete lock is normal for most cars. You need to compare it to another car of same make to check if it is any different, check with your service advisor.

As a precautionary measure, check Power steering fluid and any leaks in engine bay.

Last edited by .anshuman : 12th March 2012 at 11:20.
.anshuman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2012, 11:17   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Grinding/rattling noise from front on complete twist of steering to the left

Most probably, the front the CV joints are shot. Check for tear in boot covering it, or else I don't see why it should fail in one year.

P.S: Might be expensive to repair.

Last edited by dhanushs : 12th March 2012 at 11:19.
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2012, 11:46   #4
Senior - BHPian

To add to anshuman's point, the FEAD (Front End Accessory Drive) Belt would experience certain amount of slippage and vibrations because the Hydraulic pump of the power steering is under full lock, while the steering is fully turned. But the intriguing point here is that the sound occurs only when rotated to the left!
Old 12th March 2012, 11:47   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Most probably, the front the CV joints are shot. Check for tear in boot covering it, or else I don't see why it should fail in one year.

P.S: Might be expensive to repair.
dhanushs, that's over my head and away

Not asking for too detailed explanation, but slightly more so I can understand please?

CV Joint?
"shot"?
Boot covering it: is it that vaccum cleaner pipe like this which I see on the front axles?
Old 12th March 2012, 11:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh1979 View Post
Vehicle: Ford Endeavour 4x4
Stock tyre size: 245/70R16, purchased Jul '11
Current size: 31x10.5x15, Upgraded: sometime in Oct '11

Action: Twist steering complete left till the end and move vehicle. E.g., reversing in tight spots, left hand u-turn.

Observation: a grinding or rattling noise of metal, from the front right hand portion of the vehicle. Same doesn't occur when done on the right (which I do pretty often for u-turns).

Further information: no load whatsoever, only two occupants including me (driver) in the front seats.

Occurrence pattern: started observing this two days before when my vehicle as at a garage for lights fitment, and had to be reversed and straightened multiple times in order to park at some spots in the work area. Observed yesterday when reversing/parking into tight spots. With > 95% confidence, I can say I've never observed this before this weekend.

Dear Gurus, what could be wrong? Where should I take my vehicle: to the wheel alignment garage or the ASSC?

Hi ssh1979,

Please check the following.

First Check if the vehicle is in 2WD or 4WD, then.

1) Fender Lining/Wheel Arch

2) Rack & Pinion Steering Clamp

3) TRE

4) Suspension Bushing

5) Wheels Nuts

6) CV Joint

7) Disc Brake Shield is not bent or scraping.

Regards,

Arka

PS - You are showing off-road wear, even with out off-roading

Last edited by ex670c : 12th March 2012 at 12:02.
ex670c is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2012, 11:55   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh1979 View Post
Not asking for too detailed explanation, but slightly more so I can understand please?
Hi ssh1979,

Please find SirAlec's excellent article in driveshaft's. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ntainance.html . You can find all the info in detail there.

Sorry, for not being clear.

I believe the rattling/grinding noise when the steering is on full lock and you move the vehicle is a 'khat-khat-khat' ?
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2012, 09:08   #8
BHPian

Update: took the vehicle to the ASSC. After a test drive, the technician said this happens every time and not a major issue.

The job card finally said: REPLACE DAMPER CAP/BUSH.

I tried asking him to tell me what that means and in what followed, I could only catch the words: LOWER ARM, JOINT, DAMPER CAP.

They were very casual about the whole affair and said that they would have replaced it anyway when I come in for the 20K service which is just 1500kms away (they replace it during every service it seems).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
PS - You are showing off-road wear, even with out off-roading
That either speaks volumes about my driving "style" or the roads I have been through. I think it is the former, as there is always scope for improvement.

OT: Can the Avinashi-Walayar stretch be considered off-road rather than on-road?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks