Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2012, 22:34   #1
BHPian

Thar turbo inter-cooler query

Hello,

Is it possible to change thar's intercooler to a pajero's or mhawk's? ( to a intercooler thats mounted on top of the engine).Will it make any difference to the performance ? Any other engine mods that can be done to increase power? the thar already runs on petes

Didn't find any threads that answered the query directly. Thank you
Old 30th March 2012, 22:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Thar turbo inter-cooler query

In theory it should be possible to change the intercooler. The catch of course is that the other intercoolers will most likely not fit stock onto the Thar engine which means you will need to find a good mechanic who will need to make the necessary modifications and mount the intercooler accordingly.

Only go down this route if you have a good mechanic who knows exactly what he is doing.

If not you are better off doing other types of mods.

A better and more efficient intercooler will lead to more power though you will need to change the settings a bit to take advantage of it.

Unless the present intercooler is really bad, the difference will not be huge though.
Old 30th March 2012, 23:09   #3
BHPian

Hello Karthik
M&M have matched the intercooler with the existing engine and turbocharger. It is designed to give optimum performance. If your intercooler passages are clear, and heat transfer is good, I don't think, changing it will improve the engine's performance.
nozzlering is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2012, 00:56   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

IMO, the inter-cooler upfront, as in the current set up, is the most efficient, much better than the top mounted ones.

Also, in my opinion, a Thar with Petes, should have enough power for 99% of the mud ploughing and highway drives. More power, and you will need to seriously alter the suspension/steering/handling of Thar, to positively experience it.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2012, 06:16   #5
BHPian

A K&N air filter + snorkel will let the engine take in cooler air from outside the engine bay and also a larger volume due to the air filter. Apart from this the turbo waste gate can be adjusted to increase the boost pressure.
Old 31st March 2012, 06:41   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik123 View Post
Hello,
Is it possible to change thar's intercooler to a pajero's or mhawk's? ( to a intercooler thats mounted on top of the engine).Will it make any difference to the performance ? Any other engine mods that can be done to increase power? the thar already runs on petes
Doubt you would get better performance [read power] by intercooler swap. Best is to get a Remap - Contact the ever friendly M&M guys

Do you think the THAR has the chassis / suspension to handle the power?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavour333 View Post
A K&N air filter + snorkel will let the engine take in cooler air from outside the engine bay and also a larger volume due to the air filter. Apart from this the turbo waste gate can be adjusted to increase the boost pressure.
What if the Turbo has no WasteGate?
Old 31st March 2012, 10:34   #7
BHPian

DB sir would be the best person to answer this, and he'll be happy to tell you the pros and cons - PM him I suggest.
Old 1st April 2012, 00:02   #8
BHPian

So changing the intercooler will not give any advantage over the stock one? Basically changing this will clear up some space for the AC condenser too. Just an idea wanted to know what will it be like.
Old 7th April 2012, 13:54   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik123 View Post
Is it possible to change thar's intercooler to a pajero's or mhawk's? (to a intercooler thats mounted on top of the engine).Will it make any difference to the performance ? Any other engine mods that can be done to increase power? the thar already runs on petes. Didn't find any threads that answered the query directly. Thank you
Dear Karthik123 - my friend, now you are trying to enter uncharted territory. . Take my sincere advice, DON'T!

If the only reason is condenser mounting, then it is not a reason as the factory fitted AC vehicle also has the front mounted intercooler. If you want to increase power, there is a correct way to do it. The end result is that your vehicle will become like MH01V521. Many have asked, I have given umpteen hints on how to do it but nobody has actually done it, so best of luck to you, may you be the first one to match 521, I'll be very happy if it happens. And for God's sake, don't mess around with that air cleaner. The engine air induction system in Thar CRDe is on critical design path.

Dear madnish30 - thanks. I appreciate.

Dear pganapathy - changing an intercooler is not a "mechanic's job". Just for your information.

Dear Vikram - Thar "as a platform" has the "chassis and suspension set-ups" to handle much more power than what it puts down now. 521 may be the real Thar but it is still not the ultimate Thar. That "monster" is still in my mind, let's see. .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 7th April 2012 at 13:56. Reason: add info
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2012, 18:30   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Vikram - Thar "as a platform" has the "chassis and suspension set-ups" to handle much more power than what it puts down now. 521 may be the real Thar but it is still not the ultimate Thar. That "monster" is still in my mind, let's see. .
Dear DB Sir,

I never disputed the THAR cannot handle much more power than what it puts down. Also IMO power is not the solution to a great off road vehicle, and neither is ON ROAD SPEED.

HOW it puts down the power in a situation is what matters. Also, the feedback from the vehicle [steering, chassis, suspension etc] to the driver is very important - This is a compromise in the THAR!!

BTW, having said that, You have achieved phenomenal rear suspension setup for the THAR CRDe I only hope the same can be said about the the vehicle as such.

PS: To all others : The THAR is a great vehicle for first time buyers - No nonsense and extremely peppy to drive - Please do not take the above post in negative

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks