Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2013, 12:30   #31

Re: Mahindra Thar : Bimbra FRP Removable Hard-Top

After installing Hundreds of FRP Hardtops and based on the feedback from the TBHP Community and our customers, we have designed a new FRP Half Cabin which is more focused on Offroad purpose and being as sturdy as possible. It is still under final stages of development and is being extensively tested.
Some key points of this particular hardtop are:
-Two piece FRP Body in Matte Black Finish.
-No water leakage & rattling sound.
-Dual finish; the Hardtop is 2 pieces of FRP with PU filled inside for Heat/Sound Insulation.
-It requires no alteration to the original body, no cutting of the B-Pillar or any extra holes.
-Has fixed toughened glass on the rear side.

TBHP Community has been extremely supportive and has helped us to continuously focus on R&D and develop new and improve existing products. Once again we request for your suggestions & Opinion (+ve or -ve). I will keep on posting more pics in coming weeks and post details regarding the pricing and launch date. I would like to thank all our customers and those who supported us, hope you continue to do so

PS : For anyone who feels that the height should be lowered, we have not done so because it requires cutting down the B Pillar and we truly believe that this hardtop should be easy to install so that anyone can do it themselves.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Bimbra FRP Removable Hard-Top-1012309_10200517863362461_1811068993_n.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Bimbra FRP Removable Hard-Top-7300_539107049458511_509676391_n.jpg  

Taran Bimbra is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 28th June 2013, 13:25   #32
BHPian

Hi Taran,

This is definitely a good move, especially for off-roaders and occasionally for the individual who doesn't mind losing the two rear seats.

-The rear roll bar and glass looks absolutely fab, is the custom roll cage a standard fitment along with this semi hard top?

- Currently the upper top is fixed above the B-Pillar and the rear portion fits from underneath. This I believe is to eliminate any cause of leakage from joints at the B-Pillar, if it was to merge with it. But then this is also creating an unnatural boxy look, and looks like an add-on rather than merging with the overall body contour.
If the design could be altered with the upper part, starting from the windshield till the B-Pillar only and the rear portion coming up from behind and sealed with the B-Pillar again.
Rubber Beading and appropriate sealants could be used to ensure water proofing.

This I believe would give a more streamlined look and blend well with the overall look of the vehicle, while providing the added safety.

-Can the hard top be removed/refit as a DIY exercise
Trojan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2013, 18:31   #33

Sir thank your for your input and suggestions. We are aiming to build this specific HT as tough as possible and at the same time eliminate any chance of water leakage or rattling what so ever. Based on the suggestions we got from our customers, we knew that this HT should be designed such a way that anyone can install or remove it themselves. This meant to focus on a minimalistic design so that no one faces any problems in installation, therefore we minimized use of silicon or nuts and bolts. Result was a HT which is just 2 pieces, fairly easy to install/remove and based on the current tests, absolutely zero chance of water leakage. While designing this, we even were considering the design as you have suggested but this meant that every time you remove the top portion, you would have to put sealant back on and test if there is leakage or not. Whereas in current design, absolutely no sealant is required to seal joints and it takes hardly minutes to remove the top.
The roll cage is an add-on and is customizable.
Taran Bimbra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2013, 14:58   #34
Senior - BHPian

Taran, I have moved the front stock seats of my Thar back 3 inches on each side because I am tall. (I just simply moved the white metal tracks the seats travel in front to rear) Will this new half-cap clear the head rests, do you think?

Last edited by DirtyDan : 1st July 2013 at 15:04.
Old 1st July 2013, 16:41   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Taran, I have moved the front stock seats of my Thar back 3 inches on each side because I am tall. (I just simply moved the white metal tracks the seats travel in front to rear) Will this new half-cap clear the head rests, do you think?
Yes, there is plenty of room on the back. Its designed keeping in mind that front seats can be reclined as well, so the head rests or your head wont touch the Cabin.
Taran Bimbra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2013, 15:31   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taran Bimbra View Post
we have designed a new FRP Half Cabin which is more focused on Offroad purpose and being as sturdy as possible.
is this HT present at your workshop?? By when do u plan to start selling it??
Old 21st February 2014, 11:18   #37
BHPian

Mahindra Thar : Bimbra FRP Removable Hard-Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taran Bimbra View Post
Yes, there is plenty of room on the back. Its designed keeping in mind that front seats can be reclined as well, so the head rests or your head wont touch the Cabin.

Nice work Taran. Please PM the price of the hard top and roll bar.
Old 6th April 2014, 13:01   #38
BHPian

Hi Tarun
am a Thar owner and keep following the hardtop threads on T Bhp. My thar has a Hyd hard top by Fazal bhai/ Prabhu which is very nice. However I am a great fan of your 3/4th top, gives the thar a very rugged look, Kudos
amar
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Bimbra FRP Removable Hard-Top-sand-offroading-11230.jpg  

maverick56 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2017, 01:53   #39

THAR CRDe (2015) Hard Top

Hello to all the Team-BHPians out there !
While I have been following this platform for a long time for everything connected to automobiles, this is my first post.

I am looking to convert my THAR CRDe (2015 edition) to Hard Top. While there has been a thread on this, and I have gone through that, the last post on that thread was about 4 years ago. The Thar has since undergone a major revamp, and another significant change is that the Mahindras themselves are into the customisation game.

Please help me with resolving the following queries:

1. Which Hard Top is best value for money (Mahindra vs New Mars vs Bimra vs Performance vs others)

I am based in Hyderabad and the usage is primarily non-offroading

variety. I would like to continue with the slanting rear-stance of Thar.

Also, am looking at having openable windows in the side panels

2. Should I go for triple sun-roofs or the passenger cabin roof is adequate ?

3. What's the approximate impact on Fuel Efficiency on moving to Hard Top?

Looking forward to your responses.

Thanks,

Naqi Abbas
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks