Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2012, 23:22   #1
Senior - BHPian

Optional factory fitment - Mahindra / Force Motors

Just wondering in the Indian context (I have more experience in the American one) how much in the way of driveline options were actually available to Indian customers at the time of ordering / delivery for some of these older models. For example:

1) There's been a lot of talk in the forums re: the Force differential locks and the unavailability except on recent import / export Gurkha's. But when I lived in Andhra Pradesh in 2002, friends of mine took delivery of a brand-new Trax Judo 4x2 whose owner's manual fully outlined the operation and controls for an "optional differential lock" system. Interestingly, there was no mention of any optional 4x4 system in the manual, so the diff lock info would not seem to have been included solely for the benefit of export military customers, etc. Are we absolutely sure these lockers were never available to Indian customers on any older 4x2 Trax models? Seems they'd have been immensely useful in rural markets in monsoon season.

2) I've seen a Marshal DX Royale here locally which, unlike any other Marshal I've seen around, has what appears to be an LSD tag (same as what I've seen on the Army 550's) hanging from the right side of the rear differential cover. But LSD is not one of the features mentioned for the Royale in company literature. Were LSD's simply available as optional factory fitments on certain M&M models?

3) Re: engines: I've seen a '99 2wd Marshal whose RC shows a 2.5L engine, and a '99 4x4 Armada whose RC shows a 2.1L. I'd have expected the opposite - the larger engine in the premium 4wd, and the smaller in the lower-end 2wd. Were both these engines optionally available on either model? If so, how can they be identified visually? And are RC's ever in error?

4) Were there ever gear ratio options for M&M vehicles, or was it fixed according to vehicle model? I've seen lists in the forums which suggest the latter, but just wondering. I'd personally like to go to 3.73's for front and rear. An easy enough change for the Dana 44 rear - but wasn't sure if M&M fronts are Dana 44's. If they're something else, and M&M 4x4's were never available with 3.73's, then am I stuck?
Old 5th June 2012, 11:43   #2
Senior - BHPian

Dana 44 Differential Ratios in INDIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
4) Were there ever gear ratio options for M&M vehicles, or was it fixed according to vehicle model? I've seen lists in the forums which suggest the latter, but just wondering. I'd personally like to go to 3.73's for front and rear. An easy enough change for the Dana 44 rear - but wasn't sure if M&M fronts are Dana 44's. If they're something else, and M&M 4x4's were never available with 3.73's, then am I stuck?
Hi Ringo,

M&M JEEPs use Dana 44 Front and Rear. So you can swap the following diff-ratios.

1) 3.73:1 (41/11) Major/Thar MDI
2) 4.27:1 (47/11) CJ500D/CL550
3) 4.3:1 (43/10) Thar CRDe
4) 4.56:1 (41/9) Tata 3.0L Pickup
5) 4.88:1 (44/9) MM550XD/Bolero/Armada
6) 5.38:1 (43/8) CJ3B/BoleroXLS/CDR750DP
7) 5.88:1 (47/8) FJ460DP

Only the 3.73:1 uses a 3.73 and Down differential carrier assembly.

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th June 2012, 15:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Dana 44 Differential Ratios in INDIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post

Only the 3.73:1 uses a 3.73 and Down differential carrier assembly.

Regards,

Arka
Is that carrier (or any non-LSD carrier) compatible with LSD components (clutch packs, etc), or is there some unique LSD carrier that must be used (if so, was it made in India, especially for the 3.73-down gearsets)? Also, my application would be for the the Marshal/Commander/Armada axle. Any issues re: spline counts, etc?

I read that the Scorpio Getaway has LSD, have seen them in the Army Jeeps, but trying to find out (re: original post) if it was ever available for more mundane M&M vehicles, from which I might salvage one.

I appreciate your reply, that is good news about the Dana 44's being on both ends.

Thanks,
Eric
Old 7th June 2012, 10:50   #4
Senior - BHPian

Carrier Break

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
Is that carrier (or any non-LSD carrier) compatible with LSD components (clutch packs, etc), or is there some unique LSD carrier that must be used (if so, was it made in India, especially for the 3.73-down gearsets)? Also, my application would be for the the Marshal/Commander/Armada axle. Any issues re: spline counts, etc?

I read that the Scorpio Getaway has LSD, have seen them in the Army Jeeps, but trying to find out (re: original post) if it was ever available for more mundane M&M vehicles, from which I might salvage one.

I appreciate your reply, that is good news about the Dana 44's being on both ends.
Hi Eric,

The Dana 44 have 2 Carrier Breaks.
1) 3.73:1 and Down
2) 3.92:1 and Up

The LSD Carrier is for 30 Spline and 3.92 and Up Differential Ratio's.

So you cannot have 19 Spline or 3.73:1 for the LSD Carrier.

Regards,

Arka

Most Viewed