Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2012, 18:01   #1
BHPian

How to check the AWD of Mahindra XUV500

Hi,

Is there is any better way to check the AWD functionality of XUV.

To check this I had lifted all 4 wheels of xuv on a lift; 3 wheels were rotating, where as the front driver side wheel was not rotating.

The explanation given by workshop guys is that since the right hand side transaxle is small; it is not offering any friction & the torque is getting transferred to the left front wheel; what you guys think, is it logical ?

Secondly is there any better way to check AWD functioning.

There is also AWD lock button given in XUV, how do I check that torque is getting transferred due to front wheel slippage (since it is on lift) or due to pushing that button; since the behaviour of all 4 wheels were same in both the situations.

Thanks!
Crazy4Power is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th June 2012, 15:07   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: How to check AWD of Mahindra XUV

Easiest would be to take the vehicle to a place with soft soil (sand would be ideal) and try a hard launch? You will definitely know if all the wheels are working or not. The lock is basically to lock front and rear split and not L to R split, hence you might not notice the difference when lifted.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2012, 15:37   #3
BHPian

Push that AWD lock button and take a 360° turn on tarmac with sand or lose mud spread over it. roll your windows down and you will hear wheel rubbing noise or vague steering feedback which you notice even with power steering. or observe one of the front wheels, you will notice the slipping.
star_aqua is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2012, 16:57   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
The lock is basically to lock front and rear split and not L to R split, hence you might not notice the difference when lifted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
take a 360° turn on tarmac with sand or lose mud spread over it. roll your windows down and you will hear wheel rubbing noise or vague steering feedback which you notice even with power steering. or observe one of the front wheels, you will notice the slipping.
And do check vehicle insurance before you take all this advice. Or you can simply assume that it really has 4WD because it says it does.

Car freaks *rolling eyes*. What's next? Checking to see if the airbags are really there?

I'm kidding of course.
Sam Kapasi is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 15th June 2012, 17:52   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

WHen you lift the vehicle, all the 4 wheels should rotate, I checked the same when I bought the Tucson. I am not sure why the front right wheel should not rotate, I think you should check that.

Also, if you ask the technician to disconnect the front wheel speed sensor, the 4WD would stop functioning and the rear wheels will not rotate even if on the lift - happened with my Tucson.

Another possible way could be (and this I have not tried) - I have seen and read about dyno testing equipment - if you place ONLY the front wheels on the dyno, the vehicle will not move forward unless it has 4WD, I guess (again, anyone who has actual experience with the dyno can correct me if I am wrong). May be you can try a 4WD dyno if that's available.

Last edited by anandpadhye : 15th June 2012 at 17:54.
Old 15th June 2012, 18:12   #6
Senior - BHPian

Re: How to check the AWD of Mahindra XUV500

^^^
Tucson --> 4WD
XUV --> AWD

the same steps as described by you may not be applicable.
Old 15th June 2012, 18:32   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
^^^
Tucson --> 4WD
XUV --> AWD

the same steps as described by you may not be applicable.
Acronyms may differ, the underlying mechanicals may be similar. And even if there is a difference in the way power is transmitted to the rear, activation principle may be same (i.e. detection of loss of traction at the front wheels).
Old 16th June 2012, 09:32   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Power View Post
Is there is any better way to check the AWD functionality of XUV.

To check this I had lifted all 4 wheels of xuv on a lift; 3 wheels were rotating, where as the front driver side wheel was not rotating.
Not an impossible thing to happen, because of some extra drag on brake of one side.
Quote:
The explanation given by workshop guys is that since the right hand side transaxle is small; it is not offering any friction & the torque is getting transferred to the left front wheel; what you guys think, is it logical ?
Huh?? Sounds like gibberish. If the drive shaft of one side is smaller, that won't change anything. Unless the CV joint on that side is faulty/tighter than the other side.

Quote:
Secondly is there any better way to check AWD functioning.
As described before, place the front wheels on rollers, and when the drive transfer happens to the rear wheels through the electronically actuated clutch pack (after the front wheels spin a little), the vehicle will push itself off the rollers.
Quote:
There is also AWD lock button given in XUV, how do I check that torque is getting transferred due to front wheel slippage (since it is on lift) or due to pushing that button; since the behaviour of all 4 wheels were same in both the situations.
With AWD lock engaged, the vehicle will push itself off the rollers instantly without waiting for front wheels to spin, as soon as you let out the clutch. The 4wd / AWD lock automatically disengages electronically and the vehicle comes back to front wheel drive mode after reaching a certain speed (IIRC 40 km/h).

Remember that the XUV500 is primarily a front wheel drive vehicle with part-time torque/drive transfer to the rear wheels with electronic control, through a clutch pack (aka on-demand 4wd system). Systems based on similar principles exist in the Tucson / Santa Fe. More info here.
Old 16th June 2012, 11:52   #9
Senior - BHPian

To actually test it, you will need something like this inclined test bench, watch the Video.

dadu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2012, 11:52   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Not an impossible thing to happen, because of some extra drag on brake of one side.
I think this could be the probable reason, as the wheel was trying to move but some kind of breaking was stopping it from moving, it was jamming & momentarily release kind of situation.

I don't know whether this is a problem or the sensors are doing there job
Old 16th June 2012, 13:05   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

It is quite possible, if the unequal length transaxle can cause torque steer, even this can happen.
Old 16th June 2012, 21:23   #12
Senior - BHPian

IIRC, power for the rear is taken from a shaft which is concentric with the front right shaft.
Front left and right drags are likely to be different.

Same experiment as before. Stop the front left. Right should start rotating.

AWD: The rear propshaft should always be powered. So the question is, is the rear clutch engaging or not. Logically (but I don't know), the handbrakes should work on the rear wheels. If so, repeat your experiment, and apply the handbrake. At least one of the rear wheels should continue to turn.

It might be advantageous to connect a telltale to the rear clutch power line. That way, if the electronics are too clever and disengages the clutch, you'll know.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2012, 12:07   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post

Yeah I agree. If the wheel has holes in it, slowly rotate the wheel with an iron bar thru the hole so that the chasis stops the wheel from rotating. The other wheel should then rotate.

The test to see whether there really is a Sam Kapasi is a bit more complex but very fulfilling when the test comes back negative.
DirtyDan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2012, 11:44   #14
BHPian

Quote:

Yes I tried that also, I applied some force on left tire with my shoe shole, the right tire started rotating. But I wanted all 4 to rotate as the car was on the lift.

Thanks!
Old 18th June 2012, 11:57   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
..AWD: The rear propshaft should always be powered. ..
I have read about some AWD vehicles where the default drive is to the front wheels, the rear wheels are powered as required, and may not be connected all the time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks