Old 28th August 2012, 11:54   #16
BANNED

Re: All about Trail Flags

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
What happens when you don't have a flag:

ATV Hits Dude In Face*Video

Here's a horrible ==
I dont think a trail flag would have avoided this incident ,even if it was 15 feet high . This particular 'hill' was so steep & long , only one way traffic could have avoided it . In other words things could have been avoided with better organization & understanding within riders / drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
It's a wild idea, but if you are off-roading in open, could you use helium filled balloons?
But > Can a Strobe light ( Available Locally ) be fitted at the end of the bar/rod or even at the top end of the flag , this will solve the Night driving issue at trails & people will be easily detected on trails at night . I remember small strobe lights of red color fitted on some cars which were visible from quite a distance at day time also

Good thread this is

Sudarshan

Last edited by Sudarshan : 28th August 2012 at 11:56.
Sudarshan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2012, 14:10   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Why do i need a trail flag?

Usually, trail flags are most essential in dune bashing where high speeds also come into play increasing the chances of inadvertent collisions. Many offroad parks abroad insist on trail flags as a rule.
Exactly

Have lost many a flag poles to the sands & finally came with a cheap and simple solution for easy fix & remove.

When I was drving pajero due to its design issues I had to buy a clamp & fix the flag pole. it did its job fine.

But when I started using the jeep it failed miserable. I remember driving hard with the convoy & upon reaching a temporary halt I was disgusted & Sad when I looked back, there was no flag anywhere to be seen, no idea when & where it fell off.

On a sad note also Lost the flag & the pole u see in my Avatar on the Patrol

I started wondering what happens to the poor flag pole while we go flat out & jump high & low. Answer was simple physics The entire load rests upon one particular point & its flexibilty/Ability/Strength to withstand the stress asserted by again the lenght/width/weight of the flag its carrying.The energy collected the motion Has to reach the bottom.

Behold The Drop in Type Flag Pole

I thought to reduce stress/eliminate the load bearing point by splitting the flag pole Found a curtain rod of just enough width & opening to accomodate the Flag pole+ allow free movement of the FP inside it.

The Curtain rod I took is around 45- 50 cms, one end I kept open & the other I welded a bolt which can be easily fixed & removed to the available holes in the jeep. Now either I can leave this rod fixed to the jeep Or I can remove it easily, I did the earlier.

Whenever we would go for a drive I would drop it in the hollow of the curtain rod, (No time required for fixing) & remove it when done. As its not allowed to drive on roads with flag poles.

Now on the patrol I drilled a hole in the spare tyre case just the size of the FP & inserted it works brilliantly.

How It works.

The stress from the speed,Wind & Jerks collected by the FP Has to reach the bottom & as it tries to do so its dessimated for there is no bottom for the Flag Pole its merely gliding,rotating,while moving freely in a restricted but constrained space, What prevents the FP from flying off is the 50 cms length of curtain rod . Below is a demonstration me of me speeding down a big dune & yet the FLAG POLE ALMOST REMAINS STRAIGHT .

Quote:
Shibu send me these offroading masts which are 7 feet long and do not flex as much from Dubai. Will soon be installing one in my vehicle. Kept one as a back up in case of breakage.
Its the same one I am using I just saw'ed out the bottom part.

U MEAN "SHIBU NAIR" who drives an white Heavly Moded FJ ?

Here's the Demo in sequence
Attached Thumbnails
All about Trail Flags-1.jpg  

All about Trail Flags-2.jpg  

All about Trail Flags-3.jpg  

All about Trail Flags-4.jpg  

All about Trail Flags-5.jpg  

All about Trail Flags-6.jpg  

All about Trail Flags-7.jpg  

All about Trail Flags-stand.jpg  

zeemmee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2012, 16:59   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Picked up an adjustable antenna mount for my jeep. My garage ceiling would have interfered with the trail flag.

Thus, got these stainless steel mounts from a marine depot. Swing the handle to drop the flag down.

All about Trail Flags-img2012120800298.jpg

All about Trail Flags-img2012120800299.jpg

All about Trail Flags-img2012120800300.jpg
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks