Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2012, 15:36   #46

Re: Mahindra Thar - *Converted* Independent Front Suspension to Solid Axle

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Hi TharPlus:

I am interested to know what other parts were broken apart from the 5 Axles. Is your clutch still OE?

Cheers
2 Set Of 4X4 gear box.. 3 Hub locks.. 1 set of clutch.. 1 Accelerator paddle (went in water , the sensor malfunctioned)..

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Last 2 pics - Why is 1 wheel in the air?
Because i came in fast and this was a boulder crossing challenge , so the front Tyre took the brunt of it and jumped
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar - *Converted* Independent Front Suspension to Solid Axle-425595_10151288475331419_385379329_n.jpg  

TharPlus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2012, 16:09   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Last 2 pics - Why is 1 wheel in the air?
If you hit an obstacle at the speeds with which Mr. Bali drives, I am surprised that all the four tyres are not in the air

Basically he hit the boulders a bit too hard and jumped over then rather than drive over them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
That's quite a demonstration man. Kudos to you and the owners. Just shows sometimes even our hard learnt science can be trumped by creative thinking. This was the purpose of this machine and it has achieved it. Perfect.
Thanks navpreet318, I too am quite impressed with the way the Thar performed. In some of the obstacles, this Thar was one of the only couple of vehicles which cleared these obstacles. Great driving by Karan.

Regards

Jaskirat
Jaskirat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2012, 20:14   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TharPlus View Post
And for your information i have also brocken atleast 5 axels and many more things
[quote=TharPlus;2940408]2 Set Of 4X4 gear box.. 3 Hub locks.. 1 set of clutch.. 1 Accelerator paddle (went in water , the sensor malfunctioned)..[/quote ]
TharPlus,

I am not understanding this even after reading it a few times.
Did you break all the above mentioned, in just one event??

Jaskirat,

So many things that didn't make it through in TharPlus.
But your solid axle mod/ conversion made it through a heavy footed OTR drive, that is a litmus test in real time conditions, Congratulations!

What were the advantages of the solid axle on this Thar over IFS Thar's in the same conditions?

Was the solid axle responsible in any way and have a domino's effect on the other damaged parts? (Most unlikely but just need to know).
Regards,
fazalaliadil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2012, 21:57   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations on the event Tharplus!

Quote:
2 Set Of 4X4 gear box.. 3 Hub locks.. 1 set of clutch.. 1 Accelerator paddle (went in water , the sensor malfunctioned)..
Well, I cant help but ask.. I can understand hublocks, clutch, TPS etc.. But, how did you manage to break 2 BW TC's in such a short time?

Could you please elaborate on what really went wrong? So that it needed replacement?
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2012, 22:42   #50
BHPian

[quote=fazalaliadil;2940661]
Quote:
[b]

I am not understanding this even after reading it a few times.
Did you break all the above mentioned, in just one event??

Jaskirat,

So many things that didn't make it through in TharPlus.
But your solid axle mod/ conversion made it through a heavy footed OTR drive, that is a litmus test in real time conditions, Congratulations!

What were the advantages of the solid axle on this Thar over IFS Thar's in the same conditions?

Was the solid axle responsible in any way and have a domino's effect on the other damaged parts? (Most unlikely but just need to know).
Regards,
Dear Mr. Fazal, let me first clarify this, the Thar Plus completed this event without any damage, breakage or failure. Probably the first for Karan and his Thar

All the damages listed by Karan have happened during the course of his owning this Thar, which is about one and a half years now. He was responding to svsantosh's earlier question in the post.

The transfer case, hubs, clutch etc. broke / got damaged before the solid axle modification. How they last now is for time to tell. I hope the solid axle stems the frequent failures that Karan has experienced with the IFS.

As for the advantage that Solid Axle offers over IFS, it is very evident from the way it handled the vertical incline (more of a straight 4'6" wall) and the boulders. With IFS the Thar tends to sink down and bottom out, whereas the SA ensures it clears the obstacle without sinking. Its my opinion that with SA it also handles the articulation obstacle very well ... better than IFS. (Picture No 7).

You are correct Mr. Fazal, this OTR was a litmus test for Thar Plus.

Regards, Jaskirat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post

Well, I cant help but ask.. I can understand hublocks, clutch, TPS etc.. But, how did you manage to break 2 BW TC's in such a short time?

Could you please elaborate on what really went wrong? So that it needed replacement?
Dear dhanushs, please see my reply to Mr. Fazal above. The parts listed by Karan did not break during this event, but over the course of one and a half years that Karan has owned this Thar.

I am sure Karan will have his tales to tell about each breakage.

Regards, Jaskirat
Jaskirat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2012, 22:58   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaskirat View Post
Dear dhanushs, please see my reply to Mr. Fazal above. The parts listed by Karan did not break during this event, but over the course of one and a half years that Karan has owned this Thar.

I am sure Karan will have his tales to tell about each breakage.

Regards, Jaskirat
Hi Jaskirat, I know these many parts cannot break in a single event. (or can they? ). I was just wondering how the 2 TC's got damaged?

May be due to driving in 4WD in very grippy surfaces at speed and ending up with a transmission windup?
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2012, 23:37   #52
Team-BHP Support

When I commented negatively about solid axle mod, I was mostly speaking from an on road POV.
However, seeing it in person, all the apprehensions are gone. With those tractor tires, this vehicle is not designed for road. Its a pure offroad machine
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2012, 08:22   #53
BANNED

Quote:
Just one Question
I cant see a Rear Axle in the List , is it still original ? Usually its the Axles that perish before Transmission , so I am curious .

Many ( Including Me ) are doubtful about the SFRA in the CRDe Thar , whats your experience ? can you share please ?

BTW , I guess you are the first person to convert & test such thing with Thar , a Daring experiment many had not done ( & shared too )
Thanks for sharing secrets

Suadrshan
Sudarshan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2012, 12:17   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
Just one Question
I cant see a Rear Axle in the List , is it still original ? Usually its the Axles that perish before Transmission , so I am curious .

Many ( Including Me ) are doubtful about the SFRA in the CRDe Thar , whats your experience ? can you share please ?

BTW , I guess you are the first person to convert & test such thing with Thar , a Daring experiment many had not done ( & shared too )
Thanks for sharing secrets

Suadrshan
I am very comfortable with the semi floating rear Axel . It never gave me problem .. the only modification i made was installing MLD (mechanical lock differential).
I had no option but to modify my thar crde because by the time i realized that it was not a hard core off road vehicle , i had already spent a lot over it and there was no point in selling it and then preparing a second hand 550 for my off roading....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
When I commented negatively about solid axle mod, I was mostly speaking from an on road POV.
However, seeing it in person, all the apprehensions are gone. With those tractor tires, this vehicle is not designed for road. Its a pure offroad machine
Thats right my main purpose was to prepare a hard core offroading vehicle .. and i only take it out when i go for off roading ... but when you put normal AT Tyres , it runs perfectly as a normal Thar

Quote:
Hi Jaskirat, I know these many parts cannot break in a single event. (or can they? ). I was just wondering how the 2 TC's got damaged?

May be due to driving in 4WD in very grippy surfaces at speed and ending up with a transmission windup?
Quote:

This Thar Crde is not at all a offroad vehicle .. Infect when i broke the Gear box and went to the Dealership they said that that there was water in it .
I told them That a week before Mahindra Great Escape was organised and i participated in it and your Mahindra people told us to cross water bodies , then how can you say that its my fault ...I also pointed out to a poster that was on the wall where we were having this discussion and it was showing The Great Thar Crde going through slush ..
They had no answer

Going Down ,,,uncaged 2012 Part 2
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar - *Converted* Independent Front Suspension to Solid Axle-560798_479965898709603_1922898720_n.jpg  

Last edited by Jaggu : 23rd October 2012 at 12:28.
TharPlus is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st November 2012, 14:19   #55

Another Proof of the suspension working Flawlessly.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar - *Converted* Independent Front Suspension to Solid Axle-249253_10152214900450414_767294132_n.jpg  

TharPlus is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th November 2012, 12:58   #56

In series of Going on problem of Thar CRDE , here is one more crucial and very disastrous flaw .

My diesel pump malfunctioned and it was my luck that the engine did not Cease.

When the pump was taken out I found out that the GERARI of the pump had broken.

and i was more furious and amazed that it was made of plastic ...

The diesel pump is the heart of the Engine and how and who suggested the makers of Thar CRDe to chnage from the existing Iron Gerrari to plastic one ..

I am attaching 2 Photos for reference
TharPlus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2012, 17:10   #57
BANNED

Quote:

My diesel pump malfunctioned and it was my luck that the engine did not Cease.
Pics have not come yet ,btw do you mean oil pump ? that failed because of the non metal gears ?

Sudarshan
Sudarshan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2012, 23:35   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan

Pics have not come yet ,btw do you mean oil pump ? that failed because of the non metal gears ?

Sudarshan
Hi Sudarshan, you are correct, it's the oil pump that failed. I'll post the pictures on Karan's behalf.
Regards, Jaskirat
Old 11th November 2012, 23:43   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaskirat

Hi Sudarshan, you are correct, it's the oil pump that failed. I'll post the pictures on Karan's behalf.
Regards, Jaskirat
Here are the pictures of the failed oil pump.
Attached Images

Old 12th November 2012, 09:05   #60
Senior - BHPian

Jaskirat,

Plastic would not work at all, it seems to be made of teflon, am I right?
Still it would not break unless there there was an obstruction that opposed the rotation to the point it broke.

Behram Sir, kindly enlighten on the material and reason.
Regards,
fazalaliadil is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks