Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2012, 14:24   #1
Senior - BHPian

Dependable 57" axles, diffs and lockers

Where can I get DEPENDABLE 57 inch axles(2) with 4:88 or above ratio differentials. ? Also maybe a manual locker for the rear. This would be for a brand new Thar DI which I have not booked yet. Your answers may decide the purchase. This would be for use in the Himalayas. Therefore they have to be stone-reliable. Coming back home via yak caravan may set my neighbors' tongues wagging but I can do without the life experience.

One paramount concern is obtaining same with the differential gear lash (back lash) set correctly. Any ideas? I would like to get something more reliable than used Army stuff if possible.
Old 13th November 2012, 18:50   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Dependable 57" axles, diffs and lockers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Where can I get ----
DD, I cannot tell you where you can get this stuff. But when you get hold of one and have reached to the backlash setting stage, let me know if you have any queries.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2012, 20:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
and have reached to the backlash setting stage, let me know if you have any queries.
Hi,
It will be great if you can educate us on what happens if everything is not spot on. Contact patches and all. A sensitivity analysis, if you will.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 7th December 2012, 23:54   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One paramount concern is obtaining same with the differential gear lash (back lash) set correctly. Any ideas? I would like to get something more reliable than used Army stuff if possible.
1. If you want to bring your axles/gears up to Manali for a weekend, we can play around with a dial indicator and bluing solution and online how-to guides... but you'll have to wait till the weather gets warmer - lots of cold steel there.

2. IMO, with the relatively low power output of the engine in question and the relatively high strength of the Dana 44's, I really don't think that even with less-than-great backlash / contact patch settings you're going to be coming home by yak caravan. Too little backlash at high speed=heat buildup, but so long as we err on the side of a too much clearance (backlash), from what I understand you're really only looking at longer-term wear issues, not breakdowns. Re: contact patches, it's not too hard to discern (this is where the bluing solution comes in) whether your gears are meshing nearer the center or nearer one edge or the other. Keep it nearer the center and I think everything's going to be fine. We're not dealing with 300hp here. I too live in the Himalayas, and with wife/baby/wild travel plans am likewise supremely concerned about reliability in "the outback" and honestly would not have any concern over the diffs in our DI Marshal so long as I knew they were set somewhere in the ballpark, had fresh fluid, and were not making funny noises.

3. What would be the advantage to the DI Thar over your Invader... and will the latter be up for sale if you can be convinced for the former?

4. How many people in the forum (or elsewhere) have actually have catastrophically broken rear diffs in Himalayan tours? Less-than-perfectly-maintained Sumo taxis manage with 11 people and all their luggage day after day, year after year. Nubra, Zanskar, Pangong, etc. Haven't seen one broke yet. I guess if you're going solo out to Changthang for hard-core offroading, that might be a different thing... but then I'd have to ask, "Why?"

-Erik

Last edited by ringoism : 8th December 2012 at 00:14.
ringoism is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th December 2012, 10:03   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
1. If you want to bring your axles/gears up to Manali for a weekend, we can play around with a dial indicator and bluing solution and online how-to guides... but you'll have to wait till the weather gets warmer - lots of cold steel there.

2. IMO, with the relatively low power output of the engine in question and the relatively high strength of the Dana 44's, I really don't think that even with less-than-great backlash / contact patch settings you're going to be coming home by yak caravan. Too little backlash at high speed=heat buildup, but so long as we err on the side of a too much clearance (backlash), from what I understand you're really only looking at longer-term wear issues, not breakdowns. Re: contact patches, it's not too hard to discern (this is where the bluing solution comes in) whether your gears are meshing nearer the center or nearer one edge or the other. Keep it nearer the center and I think everything's going to be fine. We're not dealing with 300hp here. I too live in the Himalayas, and with wife/baby/wild travel plans am likewise supremely concerned about reliability in "the outback" and honestly would not have any concern over the diffs in our DI Marshal so long as I knew they were set somewhere in the ballpark, had fresh fluid, and were not making funny noises.

3. What would be the advantage to the DI Thar over your Invader... and will the latter be up for sale if you can be convinced for the former?

4. How many people in the forum (or elsewhere) have actually have catastrophically broken rear diffs in Himalayan tours? Less-than-perfectly-maintained Sumo taxis manage with 11 people and all their luggage day after day, year after year. Nubra, Zanskar, Pangong, etc. Haven't seen one broke yet. I guess if you're going solo out to Changthang for hard-core offroading, that might be a different thing... but then I'd have to ask, "Why?"

-Erik

My Invader is no longer in production and soon some parts will be very hard to find even though it shares a lot of parts with other Mahindras. The Invader's rear end suspension is a little shoddy, design-wise. The Thar DI is a bit smaller and easier to maneuver in tight places...if you have the 57 inch axles.

Your comments on the low HP coupled with the high reliability of the Dana 44 are well taken. I don't want to go thru the bluing bit.

One break down on the north side of Rohtang is one too many for me.

There have been exactly 3,245,672 breakdowns on Himalayan Tour vehicle's differentials in the last 5 years. It's a Bermuda Triangle kind of thing. In fact, I hear some Navy pilots recently were found walking around in a daze at the Yak concession on Rohtang.

Do you actually have some good Mahindra mechanics in Manali? They are a precious commodity. Lock them up at night.
Old 10th January 2013, 16:19   #6
BHPian

Guys

I have a couple of queries regarding axles.
-What is the width of the semi floating rear axle that comes in a non NGCS mm550 XD 4wd?
- Is there a FFRA to match the width of the semi floating one?
- If so, can the differential gears from the existing semi floating axle be fitted in the FFRA so that I can retain the LSD?

Regards
W_C
Old 11th January 2013, 12:15   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Where can I get DEPENDABLE 57 inch axles(2) with 4:88 or above ratio differentials. ? Also maybe a manual locker for the rear. This would be for a brand new Thar DI which I have not booked yet. Your answers may decide the purchase. This would be for use in the Himalayas. Therefore they have to be stone-reliable. Coming back home via yak caravan may set my neighbors' tongues wagging but I can do without the life experience.

Hi DD,

I'll Get you the Front 57" OKBJ and Rear 53" FFRA with properly set 4.88:1 (44/9 Diff Ratio), but you'll have to ask one of your Girlfriends to carry the Locker Down from the States.

Or if all of them decide to visit you at once you can get the entire running gear from a JEEP Wrangler Rubicon,

And if you really want to impress the SoCal & NoCal girls order something custom, and no "JUGAAD"

Regards,

Arka

PS - Come down south, the cold, rarified air and the proximity to Dharamshala is getting to you

Last edited by ex670c : 11th January 2013 at 12:19.
ex670c is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th January 2013, 08:58   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi DD,

I'll Get you the Front 57" OKBJ and Rear 53" FFRA with properly set 4.88:1 (44/9 Diff Ratio), but you'll have to ask one of your Girlfriends to carry the Locker Down from the States.
I had almost given up on this idea. I may take you up on it. Let me reappraise and get back to you. Mahindra service and spares situation seems to be getting worse instead of better around here...have to find a shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
PS - Come down south, the cold, rarified air and the proximity to Dharamshala is getting to you
It's colder than a well digger's rear deck right now....another good idea by you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks