Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2012, 02:30   #1
Senior - BHPian

Damper (shock absorber) recommendation for Jeeps?

Thinking of replacing the front (and maybe rear) shocks on our Marshal 4x4, as the damping is compromised on at least one of them and they've been on there so long the lower eyelets have nearly worn through the metal itself!

We don't do hard-core offroad, so things like extra extension are not probably an issue - but up here near Manali, we do drive on really rough roads every day of the year. The Marshal's CG is pretty high and it tends to rock and roll quite a lot, calling for harder damping to control that - but on the other hand good ride quality would be a plus, indicating softer tuning. Like most other things, a compromise is required. What kind of shocks have forum members used / found to be good under similar (or other) conditions?

Many Thanks,
Eric
Old 3rd December 2012, 03:13   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Damper (shock absorber) recommendation for Jeeps?

Hi,

I had composed this list sometime back, specifically useful for M&M Jeeps. Might be of some use to you, just check.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post2221669

Spike

Last edited by GTO : 3rd December 2012 at 10:25. Reason: Adding the linked image to your post
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th December 2012, 01:06   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Damper (shock absorber) recommendation for Jeeps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Hi,

I had composed this list sometime back, specifically useful for M&M Jeeps. Might be of some use to you, just check.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post2221669

Spike
I don't even know much about what brands are available. I've seen Gabriel, which I guess has always been a decently designed / constructed shock. What else is out there that's decent and not particularly expensive?

-Erik
Old 12th December 2012, 01:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

Re: Damper (shock absorber) recommendation for Jeeps?

Erik, all the above are decent (depending on your usage) and not at all expensive. I will be surprised and happy to see better, less expensive ones. I guess others can chip in if they have own experiences.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks