Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2013, 22:48   #16
BANNED

Re: Water Wading Depth of the Safari, XUV500, Duster etc.

I remember in my childhood a TATA motors, then TELCO, brochure showing a tatamobile 207 pickup at the TELCO test facility, wading through what looked like waist deep water. The wading depth was also mentioned but I do not remember it now. So if a manufacturer advertises a product then surely they would have taken care to seal the electronics and gearbox vents etc which is likely to be submerged. Also back then the engines used bosh pumps and there were hardly any electronics, only electrical components. All that made it somewhat belivable.
But I guess now with all the sensors etc taking a SUV into more than tyrewall height deep water would be calling for trouble, and I guess it is the same opinion I get from all you folks out there.
Old 1st March 2013, 10:23   #17
BHPian

Unfortunately, in the NCR area particularly around newly built highways with no drainage (like the service lanes of NH8), deep water is a common occurrence, even with minimal rain. I frequently see Boleros trudge through this, and even Omnis and Wagon Rs, and have seen many a Skoda pack up on these roads. It seems like the lower the electronic content of your car, the better it is for wading through water.

Im in the market for a new vehicle - for this reason only, I am not considering the XUV. I too am looking for the 'right' car that can tackle this water which ranges from about 100 mm to 3-400 mm sometimes. Unfortunately, we cant avoid driving through this - an alternate route would mean a detour of over 30 minutes.
Old 1st March 2013, 10:44   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Some good points here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...kel-mm540.html

and here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...tant-they.html
Old 2nd March 2013, 19:59   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
As GTO has rightly put it, water needs to be avoided if avoidable. If not avoidable, one must take all the due precautions as water damages the electricals, mechanicals and even the body shell.
Stalling on water logged roads is a common sight and even with the advancement in automobile technology, water continues to remain the enemy no. 1.
Just to refer to the Mumbai floods of July 2005, SUV's fared the unprecedented floods and the more than knee deep waters much better than cars, on the affected parts of the metropolis.That evening, many traffic users abandoned their cars, walked home and reported substantial damages. A Mercedes Benz car had water affecting its power window functioning and even its mechanicals suffered damage.
I had driven Mahindra, Willys and Jeep 4X4 MUV's many a time through rivulets, nullahs, water logged and even muddy patches, but luckily came out safe and sound - thanks to their ground clearance and rugged build! These had nothing much on them that could be affected ! The older Willys CJ 3B's with the Hurricane engine and Carter fuel systems were among the best to withstand the rugged conditions. I believe even the CJ 4A's were a bit delicate as their Indian made bodies would rattle and develop cracks at some specific places - viz. body - chassis mountings that were stressed during rugged runs.Their floors were victims of rusting as the rubber foot mats would get wet after moving through water logged areas and retain moisture underneath. The CJ3B's bodies were less prone to rusting.
About two years ago, the place where I live in had heavy rains. I was driving through a water logged road at about 50-60 kmph on my new Scorpio. Water splashed all around. I was'nt so lucky this time around. The Lumax headlamp and fog lamp to the left were affected and it showed. Moisture had gathered within these two units and even after exposing it to sunlight, apparent drying was visible but soon after, the moisture reappeared. I took the SUV to the dealer who agreed that these two units had a two year warranty and these were replaced free of cost for me. Even after pressure washes of my SUV, water had never left its trace within the headlight and fog light units till then.
So this is among the many pranks water can play.
Thanks Mr Anjan.(Thats my younger brothers name too).
So the so called tough SUVs are just bigger sedans when it comes to waterproofing the sensors or electrical etc. They are better merely by size.
I was going through the TATA SAFARI STORME review and saw the pic of the four wheel drive engaging mechanisms wires and all exposed to the elements. Now that component sitting so low in the vehicle should deserve better covering and sealing by way of rubber gaskets of rubber shrink tubes.
Also what about water getting in the differentials and gearbox through the air vents? This could be taken care by some tubing I guess.
Why I am so interested is because every monsoon somewhere or other I, and I am sure a lot of others, am faced with water logged roads and that’s when you feel that if the manufacturer had put a little extra tubing on air vents or some extra lip seals and O rings on some parts I can actually go through without any fuss.
If the maker gives some tangible data on that front the taking a chance part can be reduced by some degree when driving through such situations and not to mention the damage we would be causing our vehicle.
Thank you all and please keep the data coming
Old 7th March 2013, 19:44   #20
Senior - BHPian

How does Range Rover feature on this? Its amazing how it can nosedive into waterworld and take it head on and over the bonnet. Ofcourse it is leagues apart from anything in question

Was just watching this, skip past 5 min.

Last edited by parsh : 7th March 2013 at 19:50.
parsh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2013, 19:56   #21
BANNED

I found the brochure of FORCE GURKHA and guess what no water wading depth given.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf GURKHA.pdf (2.31 MB, 506 views)
Old 7th March 2013, 21:26   #22
Senior - BHPian

Any idea about the water-wading abilities of the to-be-launched Ecosport? I remember seeing tall claims, but after Madmonkey's episode with his Fiesta, I'd take it with a pinch of salt.
Old 9th March 2013, 13:31   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
How does Range Rover feature on this? Its amazing how it can nosedive into waterworld and take it head on and over the bonnet. Ofcourse it is leagues apart from anything in question
The Range Rover has 900mm of wading depth - the highest, if not the highest among luxury SUVs. Still, the Range Rover is also vulnerable to water - and I am not sure that in the long run a Range Rover would fare better with regular water immersions than a Land Cruiser or a Patrol.

The thing is, I am sure the service team took proper care of the Range Rover after its bath. The problem in India: the ASCs don't do a proper job with a 4WD after it has gone through water or bad slush. None of the ASCs are trained to deal with proper 4WD maintenance - one has to chase them to get things done (e.g. prop shaft greasing).

Those few minutes of water fun have to be followed by a lot of maintenance effort to undo the effects of water. IMO, not worth it. Unless the situation really calls for it e.g. that lovely forest rest house awaits at the end of the trail (and you can only reach that FRH after crossing a stream).
nilanjanray is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2013, 15:02   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
The Range Rover has 900mm of wading depth - the highest, if not the highest among luxury SUVs.
Just a small correction. The Range Rover has a wading depth of 700mm as per their official e-brochure : that too with the Offroading mode selected in the Terain Response System. I, however agree that its the highest among Luxury SUV's. Do check out this extract from the e-brochure of Range Rover.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Range Rover Brochure.pdf (73.2 KB, 398 views)

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 9th March 2013 at 18:20. Reason: Fixing quote
Percy N P is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2013, 16:30   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
The Range Rover has 900mm of wading depth - the highest, if not the highest among luxury SUVs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percy N P View Post
Just a small correction. The Range Rover has a wading depth of 700mm as per their official e-brochure : that too with the Offroading mode selected in the Terain Response System. I, however agree that its the highest among Luxury SUV's. Do check out this extract from the e-brochure of Range Rover.
Well the brochure does say 700mm. But don't know where it is from. I knew it was 900mm from their site and I think Nilanjan too may have referred somewhere there. Check out the part of their website at http://www.landrover.com/in/en/lr/al...lore/vogue-se/, unless they have mistakenly put wrong figure there, which shows the below specifications:

Water Wading Depth of the Safari, XUV500, Duster etc.-range-rover-capabilities.jpg

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 9th March 2013 at 18:26. Reason: Fixing quote
parsh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2013, 17:41   #26
BANNED

Just a short note ; I remember reading Range Rover owners manual stating recommended wadding depth of half a meter & this includes Evoque too .

Also remember seeing the above 900 mm thing in one of their brochures , this is confusing

will post detailed reply after a check .
Old 9th March 2013, 18:02   #27

My Apologies to Nilanjanray

900mm is the wading depth of the new 4th Generation Range Rover whereas 700mm is the wading depth of the outgoing 3rd Generation Range Rover.

@Parsh : You are right. All the Land Rover / Range Rover models have wading depths from 500mm to 700mm and only the recently launched 4th Generation has upped it to 900mm
Percy N P is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2013, 01:53   #28
BHPian

Hi guys I'm from Guwahati and seen many floods in my life. Thankfully my father is one the best drivers I have ever seen and taken a few driving tips from him. I have seen him ride a bike through 2 ft of water many a times and driven many a cars ( not SUVs) through similar water but he has never stalled. The best way is to drive behind a bus or a truck.

As for my personal experiences. I have driven my alto through water where the depth was till the top of the headlamps. Drove a MM 540 through 2 ft deep muddy slush and once drove a MG 413 in water which was till the windows. Better still in Oct I drive my Manza through waist deep water.

No a single time did any of these vehicles deceived me and left me stranded. The only probable problems I could notice was, my alto's silencer had to changed within a year after that and in the Manza, once a Jeep had Bolero had stalled in front of me, which is when some water must have seeped in and eventually damaged the clutch switch, which did not allow me start the vehicle.

1st gear constant rev and sufficient speed is the secret - no 4x4 needed.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 19th March 2013 at 07:07. Reason: Typo corrected.
Junaid42465 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2013, 11:48   #29
Team-BHP Support

Any info as to if the Pajero Sport's water wading capabilities against that of the Pajero SFX?
Old 19th March 2013, 13:38   #30
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

2005 - My Safari TCIC was parked in office at the Epicenter of the Mumbai Floods at Kalina Santacruz East, just next to Mithi River. The car drowned under water - higher than the bonnet. The inside Music Deck had to be thrown away, the Speedometer level suff though was fine. In short everything electrical was replaced.

Was wondering about the point of getting an SUV which itself is no match against the force of nature.

2007 - This time there were heavy rains in Thane and Thane was flooded like Mumbai in 2005. I was racing against time to get home before the full area was flooded. Drove the Safari through almost bonnet level water - (the Extra Hella 1000 fog lights mounted in front of the Radiator Grill were half filled with water when I checked in the morning). This implied almost 700 mm of water level. But yes the Beast was fine.

This restored my trust in the value of owning an SUV. The vehicles can do a lot more than the offically mentioned values but lets leave it for an emmergency only situation.
ACM is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks