Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2013, 16:11   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Diff Breathers for Hyundai Tucson

Hi,

I am taking the Tucson to Leh and have been learning about the precautions in general. I am well aware that Tucson does not have much reputation in off-roading world and it's AWD setup is quite basic (no low range, a multiplate cluth based coupling to rear axle, no diff locks, etc) and I will avoid any water crossings as much as I can. But from experience of many who have been to Leh, there may be situations where one may have to go through some water and that's why I want to take the precaution and get breather tubes for the diffs and transfer case for the Tucson. Can someone help me - where can I buy those from? I have convinced my SA that I need this (though I will try my best not to use them) and he agreed to install them for me, but he does not know where to order them from.

Thanks in advance.
Old 21st May 2013, 22:49   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Diff Breathers for Hyundai Tucson

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
I have convinced my SA...
Perhaps you can un-convince him?

It's not as bad as you think it is. Swifts and Lineas have come back with no water in diffs & gearboxes, and here you are, worrying about water getting into diff/TC of your Tucson, which has above-average GC.

Enjoy the drive. Don't worry so much.
SS-Traveller is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st May 2013, 23:36   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Perhaps you can un-convince him?
he he he

It's just that after 2000km of driving, I don't want to get stuck due to some smallish stream flowing across...but yes, that "Leh in Linea" is one of my favorite threads.

Thanks for the encouragement.
Old 27th May 2013, 19:15   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
he he he

It's just that after 2000km of driving, I don't want to get stuck due to some smallish stream flowing across...but yes, that "Leh in Linea" is one of my favorite threads.

Thanks for the encouragement.
Pls let me know when u get these breather tubes. BTW, the wading depth of a Tucson is 388.
K a s h is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2013, 00:16   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by K a s h View Post
Pls let me know when u get these breather tubes. BTW, the wading depth of a Tucson is 388.
Here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3139490

Could not figure out a safe and clean way to install breathers. So just changed all the oils.

The rear diff breather is right at the top of the diff, the SA said he will have to think how to install an extension without damaging the valve, also running it to some place reasonably higher seems challenging.

The transfer case breather - we could not locate, the transmission breather is somewhere below the battery. Soon after all the diff and gear oils were changed, we spotted engine oil leak from the CDR valve so focused on it at a higher priority. Will update on that in the Tucson thread...
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2013, 06:21   #36
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Any idea about the water-wading abilities of the to-be-launched Ecosport? I remember seeing tall claims, but after Madmonkey's episode with his Fiesta, I'd take it with a pinch of salt.
Wading ability upto 550mm is claimed by the EcoSport.
Old 9th June 2013, 16:52   #37
Senior - BHPian

Wading Depth

Hi Guys,

To be on the safe side,in a 2wd vehicle the wading depth can be marked as the height of the running board/below the running board.

This is useful, because 2wd have lesser traction wrt to AWD & 4WD vehicles on rough terrain.

While driving through water, there is additional resistance from water, the higher the water level more the resistance.

Additionally, the the air-intake to the air-filter can be turned away from the direction of travel, and in some cases rotated upwards to get a few inches of clearance.

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2013, 22:00   #38
BANNED

Re: Water Wading Depth of the Safari, XUV500, Duster etc.

My personal experience with Ford Endeavour:

I did almost 2 feet deep of water fording in a street which was flooded with rain water for 2kms, The vehicle managed it flawlessly, no engine stalling, we came out without any problems or harm to engine and drive train.
Old 10th June 2013, 07:41   #39
BANNED

Some questions for All

Suppose we do not have any official figure about the wading depth, then how to determine the approximate (at-least) wading figure ?

How it can be determined if the diffs, Axle, the GB, the clutch case etc are fit for certain level of water wading ? How can one ascertain there wont be any damage even after certain successful water wading ?

What points do I have to check before entering into water ?

Sudarshan
Sudarshan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2013, 14:21   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
Suppose we do not have any official figure about the wading depth, then how to determine the approximate (at-least) wading figure ?

How it can be determined if the diffs, Axle, the GB, the clutch case etc are fit for certain level of water wading ? How can one ascertain there wont be any damage even after certain successful water wading ?

Hi Sudarshan JEE,

Most production class vehicles are prepared to ford mild water obstacles.

i.e Running board height for 2wd & Front Bumper height for a 4x4.

A simple practice of stopping before a water obstacle, and allowing the vehicle to cool down, before entering water, drastically reduces the water fouling the mechanical assemblies.

This is because when water touches hot components (gearbox/differential/t-case/engine sump) IT RAPIDLY cools down the components, creating a vacuum, which sucks in water.

Also it gives you time to think if you really want to drive through a Water obstacle

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th June 2013, 11:21   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post

Sudarshan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post

Also it gives you time to think if you really want to drive through a Water obstacle
To add to what ex670c says and to further answer Sudarshan's query, here are some guidelines from my side:

- Check manufacturers wading depth

- Slow speed is required for most wading

- In deep water, create clean bow wave – this can push the vehicle if it loses traction and helps keep water out the engine. Fixing a tarpaulin to the front helps.

- Test the depth and current strength prior to crossing [knee deep is OK]

- Check the exit point – in fast water have a down stream contingency

- Go with the flow. To avoid a roll, exit vehicle on down current side

- Check the surface for traction and obstacles prior to crossing

- After wading check all fluids for contamination, remove drain plug from bell housing, inspect air filter.

- Oil floats so allow vehicle to stand for some time and then remove water by removing drain plugs [engine and drive train]

- If engine ingests water and gets hydro-locked, do not attempt to restart

- Remove plugs and cycle the engine to remove water in the cylinders

- Dry all electrical components and clean air filter.

- Replace plugs and restart. Replace all fluids as soon as possible

- Add extended breathers and snorkel

- Petrol engines usually stall when they ingest water

- Diesel engine usually get destroyed if they ingest water

- Water wading is the only acceptable time not to wear a seatbelt. This is because in case of a roll, you save precious seconds to extricate yourself. The ideal method is to have a seatbelt cutter clipped to your seatbelt and incase of a roll, you can immediately zip cut the belt and exit the vehicle.

- In fast water open windows

- Going into water is never a problem – its getting back out

- Avoid ravines where flash floods can occur

- Avoid rivers with power station – water releases could catch you

- Fixing a rope to a vehicle before it crosses fast water is advisable

- Do not hold a rope if you are swept down stream – you will be drowned

- Know how to read water – eddies and the holes caused down stream from large rocks

- Back out before if it gets too deep – know, set, and stick to your limits

- Light, low vehicles are a greater risk of being washed away

- Take your time and plan the crossing – this also allows time for components to cool. Sudden cooling can cause a vacuum and sucks water into differentials. Another rule: Inspect your vehicle when it is cold. Check for any oil leaks below your vehicle. Why cold? Because metals expand when hot and this can plug any leaks causing a false sense of security; on sudden cooling when you enter water, this will cause the leak to open up. If you find a leak, avoid water crossings and get the leak rectified ASAP.

- If shifting gear, increase rpm to clear water from clutch

- Avoid crossing flooded rivers or crossing rivers when it is raining

- If a tidal river, know the tide time.

- Disengage the fan if the water level will reach it. As soon as your fan strikes the water, it will snap and may puncture your radiator. Disengagement can be via a mechanical or viscous coupling or by loosening the fan belt. Remember to fix it back once out of the water.

- Do not cross water bodies with lot of debris in it. It can choke up the radiator and snag at brake lines/etc.

- Always tie down all equipment. In deep water, you don't want your plastic boxes and other floatable items to float around and hit you or get washed away.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 11th June 2013 at 11:26. Reason: corrected some typos
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th June 2013, 14:56   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Someone on FB knows his SUV's wading depth, and wants to put it to good use!
Water Wading Depth of the Safari, XUV500, Duster etc.-fullscreen-capture-6202013-21357-pm.bmp.jpg
Old 20th June 2013, 15:38   #43
BHPian

a few weeks ago, there was heavy rain in bangalore. My figo had a swim - was leaving Garuda mall and went up atleast 1 feet of rain water filled magrath road and then some more on brigade road. Then again near Governor's house. The first and last one was a bit scary as I could see auto wheels were submerged. However, what I did was kept the engine revved to more than 3000 rpm to try to keep the engine running and obviously in 1st gear only.
Thanks to the rains and drainage system in bangalore, I can now say, I took my figo for a swim on bangalore roads.
Old 22nd July 2013, 20:22   #44
Senior - BHPian

Its easy to say - Let the vehicle cool down!
But for how long do you let it cool down? Im sure it takes a minimum of 20 - 30 mins for the hot metal to cool down. Given a situation where you have to avoid getting stranded, in a race against time, lets say its getting dark or the water flow is increasing, you better evaluate the situation and just ford straight through.

Also, the fording / water wading ability stated by most manufacturers is most likely the minimum wading depth. Im sure, almost all vehicles (except electric vehicles i guess) can wade much beyond their stated limitations.
Old 22nd July 2013, 22:12   #45
BHPian

The nano has atleast 300 mm wading capability.just saying

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks