Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2013, 22:27   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Im sure, almost all vehicles (except electric vehicles i guess) can wade much beyond their stated limitations.
Mr. Chetan Maini assured owners of the e2o at a recent interaction at New Delhi, that the car can easily ford through 18"-24" of water without any problem, because the electronics and electricals are sealed against water ingress.
Old 4th August 2014, 14:37   #47
BANNED

Re: Water Wading Depth of the Safari, XUV500, Duster etc.

Hi all
Monsoons are here.
Any new water wading adventure or tips by the BHPians.
Please share.
Old 19th August 2014, 19:03   #48
BHPian

Could someone please reconfirm the wading depth for a (stock) gypsy? Seem to remember having read somewhere it was 600mm?
Old 3rd January 2015, 02:06   #49
Senior - BHPian

Can someone tell me how this is possible?

Ok, Air intake can be over the cabin, but what about exhaust?

Is that engine enclosed in a water tight chamber?

Cheers!
Old 3rd January 2015, 08:31   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
Can someone tell me how this is possible?

Ok, Air intake can be over the cabin, but what about exhaust?

Is that engine enclosed in a water tight chamber?
Hi Myavu,

For short stints like this, you don't need the engine enclosed in a water tight chamber. However, it is 100% necessary for the intake to be above water. It is recommended that the exhaust be above the water level also, or there will be slight power loss.

Water Wading Depth of the Safari, XUV500, Duster etc.-10644159_10152875029316963_2209923375583483000_o.jpg

In the above stage, there was water till the Mahindra lettering, and my Jeep was there for atleast 3-5 mins. I didnt have the exhaust extension. Not a single drop of water entered my engine, or fuel pump.
dhanushs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2015, 09:52   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Hi Myavu,

For short stints like this, you don't need the engine enclosed in a water tight chamber. However, it is 100% necessary for the intake to be above water. It is recommended that the exhaust be above the water level also, or there will be slight power loss.

In the above stage, there was water till the Mahindra lettering, and my Jeep was there for atleast 3-5 mins. I didnt have the exhaust extension. Not a single drop of water entered my engine, or fuel pump.
That's the outcome - what did you specifically do in the absence of the exhaust extension - rev the engine like no tomorrow? really curious!

Fascinating! btw - How short a stint are we talking about? 5 min? 10 min? 1 min? Is there any way to gauge this?
Old 3rd January 2015, 11:58   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
That's the outcome - what did you specifically do in the absence of the exhaust extension - rev the engine like no tomorrow? really curious!

Fascinating! btw - How short a stint are we talking about? 5 min? 10 min? 1 min? Is there any way to gauge this?
Hey, Diesel cars due to their higher compression ratio do not need to be revved even while the exhaust is underwater. The gases that are exiting at the exhaust end have enough pressure to keep the water at idle even while the exhaust is submerged underwater.
humyum is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2015, 14:47   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Safari, Scorpio: 350 mm
Has water wading capacity gone up in the new Scorpio? Can we find out?
Old 3rd January 2015, 18:46   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Has water wading capacity gone up in the new Scorpio? Can we find out?
Should it? Logically I don't see why. 17" tyres instead of 16", what is the difference in diameter? Hubs, diffs, gearbox, engine inlet, exhaust pipe, all remain at pretty much the same level. Would also expect the ECM to remain in the same place (inside the cabin, under the dashboard, ahead of the left front door).
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2015, 17:57   #55
BHPian

Recently (2014 rainy season) had to wade thru water with my THAR. Its underpass on Pune Mumbai highway at Chinchwad. Water level was quite higher than tyres. Vehicle did it - felt proud also. But at later stage it result into rusting of bearing.

Lesson learnt - however attractive and satisfying it feels to wade thru water, AVOID.
Floating Axle is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th May 2015, 18:54   #56

Let me add a few words here. In the fist place, as mentioned many times over, avoid wading at any cost. Better marry good fairy along with her magic wand, than to submerge your 4x4.

Many SUVs can go through the water at some depth but it is utterly bad for the vehicle, especially for new SUVs full of electronics.

My experience goes for Pinzgauer 710M and 1100 cm (a meter and ten) depth of water without any damage. I had that one case where I had to pass a river after flood, and my Pinzgauer did it without a hiccup. Once! Before and after that I generally avoided wading.

With Safari, I had several moments where we went through 50-60 cm of water but immediately ABS lamp went on, and check engine lamp was on. After drying under the sun, everything was back to normal. After a month, I had to change left front wheel bearings due to water and grease mixture. Very unhealthy for any car.

My other experiences with driving through the water brought costly repairs on Fiat Campagnola (electrical starter and alternator), UAZ (Wheel bearings and drive shaft-cardan shaft joints), etc...

So, better don't go wading to avoid drying your wallet
scuba is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th November 2015, 17:47   #57

Heavy rains in Chennai meant that I was forced to drive in water (in the Storme). The water depth must have been about 45cm in some stretches (perhaps a bit deeper in short stretches). The engine check light eventually came on (not immediate) but the ABS lights stayed dark. The effectiveness of brakes reduced though the ABS did help with control, it seemed to activate even at relatively low speeds when it detected skidding.

The engine check light went out after an hour or so.

Needless to say I drove very slow and will get the car serviced. I agree with all the advice on avoiding water.

However, I came to this thread looking for information on wading/fording depth. The manual does not seem to address it directly and obviously people have driven the Storme in water that is deeper than 30cm (which appears to be the accepted official fording depth).

Anyway, I was very glad to find out that the Storme can survive more than 30cm of water when I needed it to. Only hope that the long term damage is not much.

Make that 2 feet/60cm of water that I had to drive through for short periods; the 4x4 system and all other systems worked fine. Now the service centres are full so won't know about damage till later. Can't say the same about the city. It's obviously been hurt pretty bad.

Last edited by Zappo : 30th August 2016 at 18:12.
Old 29th July 2016, 21:47   #58
BHPian

Recently, I had to take my Swift through the water as the city was lashed by heavy rains.

I generally avoid taking the car over stagnated pools but this time, I was left with no option but to drive through it...

The traffic was unusually slow and some cars did not try to venture forward and were waiting for the rain to stop and water level to come down.

But the rain continued [ for almost 30 more minutes] and as I was aware of the road, the water level would only increase.

So I ventured forward to take the risk and prayed that the car shouldn't stop.

Though I thought it wouldn't be too tough, I realized it was not too easy either. As my Swift slowed for a second, panic bit me and I tried to pedal the car.

Nevertheless, the car came out unscathed but I thought the risk was too much to bear !

Old 30th July 2016, 08:33   #59
Team-BHP Support

It just not affects your wheel's bearings but also your differential oils. Water went inside the front differential of my 4X4, I had anticipated this and got both diff oils changed.

The only positive with a 4X4 [usually] is, you can wade through a bit of high water, available on streets thanks to our municipality.
Old 30th July 2016, 09:04   #60
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

While the Yeti can take quite a bit of abuse, with all its electronics, I would worry a bit if I took it into water and tried to wade through something like 30cm etc.

By contrast, in my Bolero, Gypsy etc, I ve happily waded through water which came up halfway up the doors without a problem.

The Scorpio on the other hand, once almost floundered when I tried the same thing, but a bit of consistent first gear and light accelerator pressure got me out.

Basically if you're forced to go through water, then do so in the lowest available gear and keep a constant pressure on the accelerator. Don't for any reason whatsoever, try and change gears etc while the vehicle is wading - that is absolutely foolish.

But the best advice of all - if it is raining so much and if it is so flooded as all that, just sit at home with a good book and a cuppa tea!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks