Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2013, 05:11   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Thar CRDe: Wiper hitting the Windshield Rubber Moulding

Mahindra sent an all new wiper assembly out to Krishna Auto World in Pathenkot and they tried to install it all yesterday. The new parts Mahindra sent (It took 3 weeks.) did not work. My wipers still slap the beading....hard! No solution.

I have to say that Krishna Auto World (Pathenkot, Punjab) has been great about all this. That is a pleasant surprise. Their service manager is really making a first rate effort to get this fixed. Good chap, he be.

I have now forwarded B.D.'s information about the wiper motor worm wheel to Mahindra, for the second time, without using his name, of course, along with a nice little film of the wipers slapping the beading... to the factory. We shall see if these ingredients make anything new bubble up in Cauldron Mahindra, as I was a bit more assertive with these fellows this second time.
Old 16th November 2013, 17:05   #17
BHPian

Here are some pics of a 2004 model bolero XL. It a case of wiper hitting and stuck on wind shield rubber.

The right wiper tends to stuck on limit shown by red line).
Our driver shown it to some mechanics. They did some tinkering but no result. Finally a practical solution created by our driver himself. He tied both wipers with a strip of tube. Now left wiper do not allows the right wiper to cross the yellow limit and both wiper doing up and down perfectly.
Attached Thumbnails
Thar CRDe: Wiper hitting the Windshield Rubber Moulding-copy-imag0003.jpg  

Thar CRDe: Wiper hitting the Windshield Rubber Moulding-wiper-tie.jpg  

Last edited by (Alok) : 16th November 2013 at 17:06.
Old 16th November 2013, 18:40   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
...a practical solution created by our driver himself. He tied both wipers with a strip of tube..
I think this will cause a strain inside the wiper motor, since the blade was to move a little more, but you are preventing it by force.

(Open to correction about the extent of damage in such cases)
Old 25th May 2014, 00:33   #19
Senior - BHPian

I went to a large Mahindra dealer in the Punjab yesterday for routine service. They had 4 brand new Thars sitting in their lot. All 4 wiper sets were resting on the bottom beading, clearly not fitting well. This production problem has been going on at least for a year and it seems Mahindra is just not interested in solving it. They recommend switching to Thar Di wiper arms and blades. But these are on back order. The big dealership where I was ordered several sets of Di blades and arms 5 months ago. They have not arrived.

The Thar Di wiper arms and blades are rather light and flimsy. They won't hold up in ice and snow that we get here in the mountains. I am wondering how many of you Thar owners have this wiper problem and what you are doing about it.???

What after market wipers are you using and are you happy with them?
Old 25th May 2014, 21:25   #20
Senior - BHPian

No such problem in my thar.
Wipers work fine without any issues.
Old 10th July 2014, 09:53   #21
Senior - BHPian

Use this they are excellent Wiper blades and the 11 inch version works fine in the Thar not 12 inch.

But this problem of the wiper arm not returning to the bottom of the windscreen remains unresolved in the Thar.
Attached Thumbnails
Thar CRDe: Wiper hitting the Windshield Rubber Moulding-20140710_092841.jpg  

desertfox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2015, 10:29   #22
BHPian

Hi,

Its been long and i just wanted to share that ive crossed over 94,000Kms on my Thar. Its been FUN except for the wiper motor functionality. Need help / advise.
(davidashish@gmail.com)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Ken and all - this time, please permit me to start by LOL.

You guys keep on obliquely mentioning my "Premier Padmini" background in not so good a context, isn't it? Now read this!

Thar CRDe wiper motor is exactly same as that of MM540 which derives its ancestry from the Premier Padmini, which in turn derives its ancestry from the original Lucas 1950s vintage design from England. There are no linkages. There is a cable core on which a wire is wound. This cable oscillates to run what are known as "wheel boxes". There are three conduit pipes fitted inside the dashboard through which this cable operates. The angle of operation of both wheel boxes is same by design because the linear distance travelled by the wire is constant.

There are four variables. The first variable is the offset of the worm wheel, which is the driver of the cable. If this linear dimension is increased (it is like a crank throw), the angle of operation increases. Standard Premier Padmini had 120 degrees offset system with RH side parking, longer RH arm and smaller LH arm. When LH parking was introduced in 1991 (yours truly was the designer, by the way), for using longer blades (from the 118NE) on both sides, the offset was reduced to 110 degrees. This was required to meet the 1991 CMVR for wiping systems to meet what is known as "A,B,C" areas! I am not very sure on this but as far as I can remember, Thar needs 105 degrees. The second variable is the number of teeth on the wheel boxes. Original Premier Padmini had 22 teeth wheel boxes (single speed motor). New ones had 32 teeth wheel boxes (two speed motor). The third variable is the parking position. There is a small cam pressed inside the worm wheel end, which meets this requirement. The fourth variable is the wiper motor mounting bracket. If this thingy flexes, (in MM540, the mounting is not too good), you will have uncontrolled movement. There are two numbers M6*1.0 screws on the cowl RH which holds this bracket.

Dear Ken - please open the wiper motor and take out the worm wheel. "120 / 110 / 105" etc will be punched on it. There seems to be some mix-up of what we call "child parts" as the other vehicle was OK and yours was not! Nothing new, these things happen! Also, please do not fiddle around with the "knurled driver" of the wheel boxes (the part on which the wiper arm sits), or the knurled driver will get spoilt. Check that the wiper motor mounting bracket is rigid enough, it's a "vendor part" after all! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

PS1 - next time, please use the words "Premier Padmini - aka - Fiat 1100" with slightly more restraint! It is the only car where I have not come across a single design issue! And the drawings were made in 1953, when most of us (me included) were not born and "windows" were opened to let the wind in!

PS2 - in 1977, we had used a Premier Padmini wiper motor to turn a small rubber wheel attached to the worm wheel, friction contacting inside a vertically mounted LCV brake drum, on which a wooden base was made, on which a Premier Padmini weighing 890 kg was put for rotating through 360 degrees in an auto exhibition at that time. Wiper motor torque is tremendous! Never thought that a puny wiper motor could do this, did you?
Attached Thumbnails
Thar CRDe: Wiper hitting the Windshield Rubber Moulding-a1.jpg  

Thar CRDe: Wiper hitting the Windshield Rubber Moulding-a2.jpg  

Old 6th July 2015, 10:34   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Davidashish - you have already quoted my remarks. Check them for conformance, you will get the solution to the wiper issue.

It is nice to see that you are approaching the 1 lakh kilometres mark!

Best regards,

Behram
Old 15th April 2018, 08:17   #24
BHPian

Hi, I know this is an old thread but I am seeking help here. Moderators please advise if I need to change or remove this. On my 2016 Thar Crde, the wiper motor failed few weeks back. The b'lore ASC is quoting close to 16,000 for wiper assy since the arm also needs replacement. This is a bit too steep, is there a cheaper alternative?
Old 15th April 2018, 13:20   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spd_tkt View Post
Hi, I know this is an old thread but I am seeking help here. Moderators please advise if I need to change or remove this. On my 2016 Thar Crde, the wiper motor failed few weeks back. The b'lore ASC is quoting close to 16,000 for wiper assy since the arm also needs replacement. This is a bit too steep, is there a cheaper alternative?
See post #13 in this thread. These comments are by the father and senior engineer of the Thar. You should be able to pick up good used wiper motors and sundry parts 2nd hand. Expect labor charges, taking out the dash is a b*tch. They will probably have to take out the dash to get at the wiper motor. Then, they may not replace the A/C duct tubes, or they may screw up the electricals when they reinstall the dash. I been there, done that, bought the T-shirt. Make sure everything works before you leave the shop.

Oh, yeah, and check the fuse, switch and wires to the wiper motor before you
commit to major surgery. Good luck.
DirtyDan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2018, 21:49   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
See post #13 in this thread. These comments are by the father and senior engineer of the Thar. Expect labor charges, taking out the dash is a b*tch. They will probably have to take out the dash to get at the wiper motor. Then, they may not replace the A/C duct tubes, or they may screw up the electricals when they reinstall the dash. I been there, done that, bought the T-shirt. Make sure everything works before you leave the shop.

Oh, yeah, and check the fuse, switch and wires to the wiper motor before you
commit to major surgery. Good luck.
Oh dear, that sounds like a lot of work! I know and respect that Behram sir developed the Thar, and his passionate discussions that I read here was one of the reason behind buying the Thar.

Can anyone here suggest a good independent garage in B'lore where I can fix it. Also, I doubt that the wiper motor is exclusive to the Thar. May be I could buy one new if it is the same part as Bolero or Scorpio. Does the DI have a different wiper motor. Thanks for your support and advise.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks