Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2015, 15:52   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Thar CRDe: Switch to Manual Locking Hubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Haven't they stopped putting auto lock with Ver 2 Thar onwards? I thought all of them came with fixed assembly?
They Switched to fixed flanges on thar's manufactured between August and December 2013; but again went back to Auto locking hubs in Jan 2014.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2015, 15:50   #62
BHPian

Manual hubs are working well.

I would like to mention here that I visited Autolock Hub manufacturer and happen to see autolock hub in detail - its mechanism and components. I am convinced that these autolock hubs are very good. But literacy of Mahindra ASC may end up in declaring good auto lock hub as DAMAGED. I just saved INR 40000

And this credit goes to one gentlemen called Gajanan Chitale.

So now I have redundancy for locking hubs.
Floating Axle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2015, 21:38   #63
BHPian

Manual hubs are working well. Faced some heating issue on day 1 of fitting, but later vanished.
I would like to note that Lamda service is excellent. The service guy Mr. Azeez took pain to visit local Mahindra service centre to answer my questions.
Floating Axle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2017, 23:26   #64
Team-BHP Support

Old thread but I picked up an Oct 13 made Thar with fixed flange and it used to make vibration and noise at over 80-90kms. A friend offered me used Lambda in exchange and I installed it about 2 years ago. Best decision, yes one needs to manually lock the hub when you go Offroad, but that 1 minute job is worth it. Working flawless the Lambda manual hub locks. No noise or unpredictable slips.

I understand the auto lock hub needs servicing every 10k kms or so and the amount of grease is critical. Too less or too much they just start giving you headaches.
Jaggu is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 11:38   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I understand the auto lock hub needs servicing every 10k kms or so and the amount of grease is critical. Too less or too much they just start giving you headaches.
That's the point - NO GREASE PLEASE. Lubricate the hubs with ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) by filling them up for 20 minutes and drain the oil for another 15 minutes. Do not forget to use sealant when putting them back.

Grease to be used only for the two taper roller bearings.
KkVaidya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 18:34   #66
Senior - BHPian

I have a late 2018 Thar. I want to put hubs on it. Is there exactly one Lambda hub that will work on this vehicle? I want to get the right one, of course.

My understanding is that it is a simple bolt on and you keep the Lambda hub in "Free" mode as you install it. Correct?
Old 30th December 2022, 10:56   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
I have a late 2018 Thar. I want to put hubs on it. Is there exactly one Lambda hub that will work on this vehicle? I want to get the right one, of course.

My understanding is that it is a simple bolt on and you keep the Lambda hub in "Free" mode as you install it. Correct?
Hey Ken, I'm seeing this late. Did you ever get your manual hub locks on? Noticed they actually sell them on Amazon now, at reasonable price, so it's never been easier. I have a supplier in Delhi who offered me secondhand at half that price, PM me if interested. Installation (for me) literally takes ten minutes for both, have had them on the Marshal (with different spline count) since we've had it, they occasionally do get tight due to grit ingress around the locking knob... probably not an issue with fresher units. Kind of a pain to get out and lock when you need 4x4, but another option is to keep them always engaged and only unlock for highway runs, when potential vibes might make the disconnect especially desirable.

Honestly for those who never leave the hills and who can afford the (maybe) 1/2 kmpl hit, I'd say the solid flanges might be even better. Set it/ forget it basically forever. People speak of additional driveline wear, but as all such components are unloaded except when 4x4 is engaged, I believe that's a non-issue. They're unbreakable, have less water-entry points, and you can shift-on-the-fly.

The Getaway has the standard auto-lockers which seem to be refurbs and as of now (usually) work fine. I know they are considered problematic, and occasionally make rude noises but will stick with them till any headaches outweigh the benefits. I picked up a working spare for a paltry ₹3500, so that I have a quick solution if ever one fails in the field. I at any rate would rather have these than the next-gen electronic module & actuator.

As an aside: Have any of our 4x4 tech gurus seen or used these units?

Thar CRDe: Switch to Manual Locking Hubs-img_20221228_15332301.jpeg

I never had till a couple days ago, a used parts dealer has one here in Aizawl, and I'm told it came on the early Tata Telcoline. Seems an auto-locker with a manual lock option via the bolt and an originally supplied key to turn it.

These are larger in diameter than the Divgi-Warner (?) units used later, but are lighter on account of being aluminum. Scoured (worldwide) images online searching for similar but couldn't find them.

Anyone experienced know whether they are any more or less reliable than the later supplied? Who made them? Any info anywhere?

They physically fit in place of the originals, not sure whether they require any other changes to support engagement (OE has that tabbed washer behind the wheel bearing locknut that mates with the castellated cage on the hub and "informs" the hub of speed differentials between axle and wheel that indicate the need to lock). Do they support shift-on-the-fly?

Just curious. I like them for their uniqueness, they look cool IMO and the manual lock option seems great as a fail-safe.

-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 30th December 2022 at 11:21.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks