Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2013, 13:29   #16
BHPian

re: Propeller Shaft Greasing for Off-Roaders

Adi,

I feel over lubrication of closed front knuckle may lead to wobbling of the steering.

Am I remotely right Sudershan ji?

Andy
Old 5th August 2013, 13:48   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
Thanks Sudarshan Bhai.

Any way you can put up pics of the exact locations? Would be great and very helpful for someone like me.

Cheers,
Adi
For CJ.
http://www.film.queensu.ca/cj3b/Phot...ekChart800.jpg

genesis is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th August 2013, 14:49   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks Sudarshan Bhai.
Any way you can put up pics of the exact locations? Would be great and very helpful for someone like me.
Easy, sleep under the Jeep

Quote:
Can you elaborate why and what are the downsides of over-lubrication?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace View Post
Adi,

I feel over lubrication of closed front knuckle may lead to wobbling of the steering.

Am I remotely right Sudershan ji?

Andy
Andyji; Nope sir

Guess why ? Lets wait & see if genesis has something to add

Ok Jokes apart

## Aditya; the diagrams provided by Soymya are great, check them in detail along with vehicle on ramp. They are quite relevant even today.

## AndyJi & Aditya; if you overfill it (the closed knuckle), the grease-oil mixture will find its way around the axle into the front Hub & load & fail hub oil seals & then get in to the brake Drum, you can imagine the results. Been there done that, learned the hard way [ kya kare koi forum nahi tha ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis View Post
For CJ.======

Great material, I almost overlooked it . Thanks for adding .

Last edited by Sudarshan : 5th August 2013 at 14:57.
Sudarshan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2013, 15:50   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortopilot View Post
Sir, you got them from Bangalore or Hosur?

and where if I may?
I am from hosur and I get them at a shop called Qutbi Hardware (when coming from blore, left side of where hosur flyover starts).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
My Jeep has ,6 steering linkage points + 6 Prop shaft points + 12 points on leaf springs ( shackles & all that ) + a point on the T case shifter rod pin
Can I add a few?

2 points for rear axle (SFRA) bearings, since they are only 1 per side better to lubricate them adequately.

2 points - Cluch pedal and Brake pedal (old floor mount type pedals) Made the pedals a HELL lot smoother!!

2 (not exactly nipples) large holes in front Closed knuckle to check and top up if needed (a big square head bolt that can be opened up with a pipe wrench).

Quote:
Any way you can put up pics of the exact locations? Would be great and very helpful for someone like me
As bhai said below - best place is to sleep and crawl on your back to and forth (unless you have access to a ramp), also you get to check and feel the play/wearout of the Star joints yourselves, and also avoid costly yoke/pinion replacements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
if you overfill it (the closed knuckle), the grease-oil mixture will find its way around the axle into the front Hub & load & fail hub oil seals & then get in to the brake Drum
Isnt the job of the oil seal to avoid this mess. Anyways, a CKBJ is supposed to only house grease right? Not a mixture? I think I had to previlege of opening up a factory sealed CKBJ on my AG after 12 years and I was surprised how less grease the front knuckle had - just enough to cool the star joint, no excess stuff messing around.
svsantosh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2013, 08:48   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post

2 points for rear axle (SFRA) bearings, since they are only 1 per side better to lubricate them adequately.
Remember my post on sharath's jeep thread ?(the old one mostly). I have put a scanned pic from the CJ manuals.

Here
Propeller Shaft Greasing for Off-Roaders-scan0004a.jpg

Quote:
2 points - Cluch pedal and Brake pedal (old floor mount type pedals) Made the pedals a HELL lot smoother!!
Oh ya forgot to mention

Quote:
== also you get to check and feel the play/wearout of the Star joints yourselves, and also avoid costly yoke/pinion replacements.
More than the costs its a menace if you drop it (severe breakdown case) on the road while running , it happens to have a capacity to topple the Jeep if the wrong end hits & then digs in to the ground . Remember those truckers who put a chain below it to catch the dislocated prop shaft ?

Quote:
Isnt the job of the oil seal to avoid this mess. Anyways, a CKBJ is supposed to only house grease right? Not a mixture?
If you need perfection here; you will need No. 1 & No. 0 Universal Joint grease here.

Let me remind you a similar case, why we fill grease oil mixture in the STD RE 350 Gear Box ?? -- originally they have recommend No. 00 grease -- now where do you get that easily ? same with the Jeep its an alternative.

Similarly in old (series) Land Rovers, where there is a similar setup, they have recommended 90 EP oil , but in practicality it surely leaks (sealing not being perfect in old knuckles). Again grease oil mix is to be used.

Sudarshan

Last edited by Sudarshan : 8th August 2013 at 08:58.
Sudarshan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks