Team-BHP - Indian Diff-Lock for the Dana44 19 & 30 Spline Axles
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Technical (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-technical/)
-   -   Indian Diff-Lock for the Dana44 19 & 30 Spline Axles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-technical/140727-indian-diff-lock-dana44-19-30-spline-axles-2.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by svsantosh (Post 3218472)
Hi Arka,

Couple of obervations, Questions (to Lamda & Viji sir may be). I know a few answers, but this post could be a FAQ for the uninformed if you could write up the answers.

1) The pumpkin guard from Viji takes a small cut to accomodate the new custom-diff-cover from Lamda I suppose?

2) Is the cable a commonly available part, looks like a clutch cable from some jeep?

3) If the cable snaps in a OTR (Looks exposed, viji potential for a custom cover plate?), is the default 'cable-fail' position 'diff-lock' or 'diff-open' position? (pic depicts open is default, spring loaded is lock position)

4) Could you please post pics of parts removed from the Jeep to understand the mod better? Looks like the old housing with 4 spiders are the only removed parts, right?

5) Is the Entire box contents fabricated/manufactured in Lamda's facility from a block of metal (/M&M Spares like cable) ? Or is even 1 small % imported? (Servicability and ease of spares POV)

Lamda -- As few voiced here and in the past, cost is currently the only deterrent, please try to make it a little more affordable (volume vs niche)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sutripta (Post 3222444)
Hi,
To add to the points mentioned above

1) What is the cost of the Eaton Autolocker? (Lets not get into Autolockers vs MLDs here)

2) Views of anyone (with shopfloor/ manufacturing experience) visited/ taken a walk through Lambda's facilities.

3) Lambda manufactures all parts or some are bought out. Imported or otherwise.

3) The modified diff cover: Supplied by Lambda, or modified at users end?

4) Selector fork: actuating shaft has positive detents?

5) Selector fork: Apart from water resistance, what are the chances of it rusting and freezing?

6) What is the force necessary to engage? While running engaged, how hot will the fork get?

7) Showcased/ trialed in any OTR?

Hi Guys,

I'm answering the question in points.

1) The Swastik Fab Diff-Guard has to cut to fit over the Diff-Lock Cover.

2) The Actuating Cable is from a Maruti Omni Clutch Cable.

3) The Default position is OPEN,; if the Cable Snaps, then the Differential Lock, will unlock and function as an open Differential.

4) The Lambda Differential Lock is a Carrier Replacement, the entire carrier assembly and spider gears are replaced. The Crown Gear is bolted on to the new Carrier(Diff-Lock) and Differential Ratios from 3.92 to 5.89 can be used.

5) All Parts are manufactured locally, once volumes increase spare parts will be available.

6) The Eaton Locker COst in the range of 40K

7) The Modified Diff-Cover is provided as part of the Kit.

8) AFAIK The Actuating Shaft does not have detents.

9) Rusting - If the vehicle is in regular use, then rusting will be negligible.
Freezing - If differential Oils Freeze, then the Locker will Freeze.
If the Actuating Cable can Freeze, then the Diff-Lock may not be engaged/dis-engaged.

10) The Force required to engage, similar to getting off an armchair, using your hands.
How ever dis-engaging the locker takes a bit more effort, but it is not uncomfortable.

11) The Lambda Locker equipped MM550XD was used as a Marshal Vehicle at TPC2013, Participated in the Bangalore Off-Road Jamboree October 2013. The vehicle is being used daily and frequent off-road recce in Chennai.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ex670c (Post 3322654)
Hi Guys,

I'm answering the question in points.

1) The Swastik Fab Diff-Guard has to cut to fit over the Diff-Lock Cover.

10) The Force required to engage, similar to getting off an armchair, using your hands.
How ever dis-engaging the locker takes a bit more effort, but it is not uncomfortable.

Arka, could you elaborate on what you mean by #1 above? I don't quite understand what you mean. Sorry 'bout that.

Also, #10, do you think the mounting position of the cable and handle is okay or would it work better if it was moved to over the rear wheel well or some other place to get more mechanical leverage directly on it?

Quote:

6) The Eaton Locker COst in the range of 40K

For 30 spline applications, I feel better to go for a proven product like Eaton.

For 19 spline there is not other options in India now...

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyDan (Post 3323031)
Also, #10, do you think the mounting position of the cable and handle is okay or would it work better if it was moved to over the rear wheel well or some other place to get more mechanical leverage directly on it?

It will have to be accessible by the driver while operating the vehicle. So I guess, this is the only place to install it in the jeep.

More details of Eaton MLD in this thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...off-shelf.html

The advantages of the Eaton Unit in my opinion is.

1) No drilling of diff cover or floor to run cables.

2) Self engaging when required.

3) Priced about 15K to 20K cheaper than Lambda one.

4) From a proven manufactuer of differentials/locks/LSD.

Disadvantages:

1) Guess you miss the ability to engage and disengage when required.

However, for the front axles, I think best to go for something where the engagement/disengagement of the locker can be handled completely manually.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4x4addict (Post 3323206)

Disadvantages:

1) Guess you miss the ability to engage and disengage when required.

A manually selectable locker is a great advantage up here in the cold mountains where you have to contend with snow at times. In snow and/or ice you often DO NOT want a locker engaged. The locker itself, clutch-type, spool-type, can cause slippage on icey, slippery road surfaces. Deep snow can really clog up your undercarriage and make a mess of cable linkages. This is why I would consider alternative handle positions, even if it means stopping briefly and reaching around to the rear.

Quote:

Hi Guys,

11) The Lambda Locker equipped MM550XD was used as a Marshal Vehicle at TPC2013, Participated in the Bangalore Off-Road Jamboree October 2013. The vehicle is being used daily and frequent off-road recce in Chennai.

Arka,
Long term feedback of Lamda diff lock will be great !
I know at least 6-7 prospective customers who can jump in to buy a set if long term report is positive.

Shubhendra

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shubhendra (Post 3515273)
Arka,
Long term feedback of Lamda diff lock will be great !
I know at least 6-7 prospective customers who can jump in to buy a set if long term report is positive.

Shubhendra

Hi Shubhendra,

The Lambda Diff-Locks have been working great, over the past one year.

The installations has to be perfect to get the most out of the locking and unlocking system.

Regards,

Arka

Quote:

Originally Posted by neon (Post 3226089)
Guys is it possible to fit this diff to Gypsy ? mine is a MG410W and would like to get this

Hi Neon, as far as I know the 410W diff ratio is 3.73 as well, so my guess is no. Also the spline count (22 / 26) is different. Gurus could you kindly advise if in error?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ex670c (Post 3218339)
Hi Guys,

Recently 19 & 30 Spline Selectable; Cable Actuated Differential Lock, made by Lambda Engineering and marketed by Swastik Fabs were released in the market

Arka

Dear Arka,

Thanks for the detailed pics and explanation.
Could you kindly advise on the following (newbie) qurries:):

1. Where the cable enters the differential housing, could there be an issue with regards to water ingress. Have these been tried and tested off road during water fording?

2. In certain cases / vehicles, I heard that the bottom part of the pumpkin may be shaved off 1-2" to gain additional ground clearance.In the case of our Jeeps, and Gypsies, would there still be enough room to play with with the lockers installed or is it already quite a tight fit? I have attached before and after pics downloaded from Google.

Kind Regards,
Ronnie

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump-Stop (Post 3518885)
Dear Arka,

Thanks for the detailed pics and explanation.
Could you kindly advise on the following (newbie) qurries:):

1. Where the cable enters the differential housing, could there be an issue with regards to water ingress. Have these been tried and tested off road during water fording?

2. In certain cases / vehicles, I heard that the bottom part of the pumpkin may be shaved off 1-2" to gain additional ground clearance.In the case of our Jeeps, and Gypsies, would there still be enough room to play with with the lockers installed or is it already quite a tight fit? I have attached before and after pics downloaded from Google.

Hi Ronnie,

The Locking mechanism is fitted on the diff cover, so there is no need for additional plumbing on the diff housing.

Since the Lockers/Diff-Locka are usually Diff Carrier modifications or replacements, shaving the diff casing will have no impact on the lockers.

Shaving the diff is useful in bigger differentials like Dana 60, GM 14 Bolt etc.

Regards,

Arka

Quote:

Originally Posted by ex670c (Post 3519692)
Hi Ronnie,

The Locking mechanism is fitted on the diff cover, so there is no need for additional plumbing on the diff housing.

Since the Lockers/Diff-Locka are usually Diff Carrier modifications or replacements, shaving the diff casing will have no impact on the lockers.

Shaving the diff is useful in bigger differentials like Dana 60, GM 14 Bolt etc.

Regards,

Arka

Dear Arka,

Many thanks for the clarification.

Brgds
Ronnie.

Here's a quick video we made for a friend. Very crude editing, but, does the job of illustrating the purpose of a differential locker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYr2cr5DnUc

Hey guys, I'll soon get my new Scorpio S10 4x4 Intelli Hybrid.
I wanted to get this Eaton E-locker installed on it.
Has anybody tried this before?

I've dropped couple of mails to the eaton folks, but no replies yet.
I'm planning to visit their Pimpri, Pune office in person to get details.
However, wanted to get advice from the experts first.

Please advise.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ienem (Post 4073824)
Hey guys, I'll soon get my new Scorpio S10 4x4 Intelli Hybrid.
I wanted to get this Eaton E-locker installed on it.
Has anybody tried this before?

I've dropped couple of mails to the eaton folks, but no replies yet.
I'm planning to visit their Pimpri, Pune office in person to get details.
However, wanted to get advice from the experts first.

Please advise.

You can buy the Thar locker and fit it. From Mahindra showroom. Or there are many aftermarket sellers for lockers. PM me, I'll let you know.

Isn't the rear diff of the new scorpio different than the previous generation/thar?
I don't think the thar/previous gen scorpio's MLD would fit the new scorpio Dhanush.