Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2016, 00:46   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Eaton MLD (M-Locker) now available off the shelf

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks to Pranav Sharma for sharing the following information!
Was reading the way this statement is worded

"Mahindra has confirmed that they have completed CAD study and based on same present MLD looks to be compatible with New Scorpio's Banjo axle."

Doesn't confirm that Mahindra has actually tested it on the Banjo axle.

Although the real story should come from what they offer in the new gen Getaway for Australia. That is the only "Geography-Product combo" for which they would be interested in testing it (MLD), but somehow we do not know yet, what axle that is going to be productionised with, the old rear, or the new one.

Maybe Eaton themselves should try it out, being the product manufacturer, rather than tempting Mahindra or its customers to experiment.
1100D is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2016, 12:52   #47
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Doesn't confirm that Mahindra has actually tested it on the Banjo axle.
I believe Pranav is getting it . He'll be updating us on how it performs.
Old 24th February 2017, 14:27   #48
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks to Pranav Sharma for sharing the following information!
Pranav drops another email:

Quote:
I have a few updates about the New Generation 2WD & 4WD Scorpio Eaton Mlocker G80 compatibility.

The NG Scorpio differential is in-house custom made - 43 & 10 spline, with an axle reduction ratio of 4.3 (not Dana). Source : Mahindra

Eaton MLD G80 is fully compatible with 4.3 ratio and they have sold many units already to NG Scorpio Owners. Source : Eaton

The MLD costs about 28K and is available from Kohli Motors, Roshnara Road, Delhi.
Quote:
Date: Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 12:07 PM
Subject: RE: Rear Locking Diff for New Scorpio
To: Pranav

Hi Pranav,

Scorpio is not with Dana axle.

Eaton MLD is compatible with NG Scorpio.

Regards,

Ashim

Last edited by GTO : 24th February 2017 at 14:30.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th March 2017, 15:21   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

A friend has installed MLD on his new Scorpio 4wd, he got it installed at a Mahindra dealership on my recommendation. We tested it on weekend, the MLD works great, the car can do stuff that was impossible earlier. Highly recommended for Scorpio owners!

Eaton MLD (M-Locker) now available off the shelf-sc-mld.jpg

Eaton MLD (M-Locker) now available off the shelf-sc-mld-3.jpg

Eaton MLD (M-Locker) now available off the shelf-sc-mld-4.jpg
.anshuman is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th March 2017, 15:53   #50
Team-BHP Support

The Scoroio (as per you) suffers majorly because of less suspension travel. Does MLD solve/help here in any way?
Old 14th March 2017, 16:00   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
The Scoroio (as per you) suffers majorly because of less suspension travel. Does MLD solve/help here in any way?
It cannot make the suspension behave any better, but it does compensate for lost grip levels. Much more capable compared to stock car.

Suspension and weird weight distribution still is achilles heel for Scorpio, at places where cars like V Cross or Fortuner can cross unfazed in 3rd low, Scorpio has to kept slow in 2nd low. Strangely the front end tends to lift up too much on uneven climbs.
.anshuman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th March 2017, 21:00   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sheel, the Scorpio has enough suspension travel for a road going/rough road vehicle. I dont think you'll have any issues with suspension travel, unless you are specifically looking to take the vehicle offroad.

The behaviour of the Eaton MLD is weird and you need to get used to it. Going low on the throttle (read: wheel rpm) doesnt get the MLD locked.
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2017, 21:10   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Sheel, the Scorpio has enough suspension travel for a road going/rough road vehicle. I dont think you'll have any issues with suspension travel, unless you are specifically looking to take the vehicle offroad.
Precisely and thanks for the heads-up. As you guessed right, I am not looking pro-actively to off-road, the 4H serves 80% of my needs.

The suspension has enough travel to clamber over dividers and small culverts with approach & departure path washed off. Haven't really required anything extra for my needs as yet. Yeah, more GC would have been awesome.
Old 14th March 2017, 22:07   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If you compare with the Thar, the Scorpio has less articulation at the back. In cases where the rear wheel loses traction due to lack of articulation, the MLD will surely help. Here are a few pics of the Thar belonging to bhpian Navsjab, when we tried to test the MLD. He had a tough time to get the rear wheel of the ground. In the same place a Scorpio will lift the rear wheel a lot more easily.

Eaton MLD (M-Locker) now available off the shelf-img_20170305_135117.jpg

Eaton MLD (M-Locker) now available off the shelf-img_20170305_135138_2.jpg
BlackPearl is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 07:18   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
A friend has installed MLD on his new Scorpio 4wd, he got it installed at a Mahindra dealership on my recommendation. We tested it on weekend, the MLD works great, the car can do stuff that was impossible earlier. Highly recommended for Scorpio owners!
This is great news. Would you mind sharing the cost of the locker + installation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
The behaviour of the Eaton MLD is weird and you need to get used to it. Going low on the throttle (read: wheel rpm) doesnt get the MLD locked.
True. Selectable lockers are much better, but for casual off-roaders and scorpio types of vehicles, it will be an overkill to install selectable lockers with cables running into the cabin etc...
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 11:32   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
This is great news. Would you mind sharing the cost of the locker + installation?
IIRC, the installation cost was around 2500 Rupees, and MLD costs around 29k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
True. Selectable lockers are much better, but for casual off-roaders and scorpio types of vehicles, it will be an overkill to install selectable lockers with cables running into the cabin etc...
For Scorpio and Thar, E locker might be available at around 45k check with Eaton guys, much better choice for Drivers who know what they are doing.

Last edited by .anshuman : 21st March 2017 at 11:33. Reason: Back to back posts merged
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2017, 00:18   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Biswadeep, a friend of ours, has got the MLD installed in his new gen Scorpio and we took it to the same place where 1100D and I had gone to check the articulation of his Scorpio and my Bolero. The new gen Scorpio has much less suspension travel compared to 1100D's Scorpio. At the same place 1100D's Scorpio went a bit further without the rear tyres losing grip and was able to come back up in 2WD mode without the MLD getting activated. But in Biswadeep's Scorpio, the rear tyre was losing traction and the MLD was getting activated. I will share a few pics and a video.

1100D's Scorpio - The rear right wheel still has traction

Eaton MLD (M-Locker) now available off the shelf-old_scorpio_articulation_sumitro.jpg

Biswadeep's Scorpio - the rear wheel has lost traction as evident from the video

Eaton MLD (M-Locker) now available off the shelf-new_scorpio_articulation_sumitro.jpg

Bolero's articulation at the same place -

Eaton MLD (M-Locker) now available off the shelf-bolero_articulation_sumitro.jpg

I will post comparison pics of the new Scorpio and Bolero at another place where both the vehicles' rear tyres went up. I think the rear articulation of the new Scorpio has been reduced in favour of better on-road behaviour. Experts can confirm.

Eaton MLD (M-Locker) now available off the shelf-new_gen_scorpio_sumitro.jpg

Eaton MLD (M-Locker) now available off the shelf-bolero_sumitro.jpg
BlackPearl is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2017, 21:32   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
The new gen Scorpio has much less suspension travel compared to 1100D's Scorpio. At the same place 1100D's Scorpio went a bit further without the rear tyres losing grip and was able to come back up in 2WD mode without the MLD getting activated.
Its not the new gen only (that looses traction). Somewhere in around 2012 the Scorpio underwent a silent chassis upgrade, mainly to the rear section, to a Xylo based setup (continues on New Gen as well). My Scorpio was a end 2010 one. This new setup has far more planted feel at high speeds on the highway without bobbing too much (reduced sway).

The downside was that the stiffness between the wheels of the rear axle went up also, for which the possibility of one rear wheel lifting up (reduced reaction) is also increased. The suspension travel though, might still be very similar. However this is a non issue.

With MLD one needs to learn the activation technique. I usually dont go hammer and tongs to activate it. When I need it, I just try to loose a little traction on one side and gently throttle progressively to the point of MLD activation. There is a distinct jerk that indicates activation. Once in that mode, I generally do not cross 20kmph (within threshold of deactivation at 23kmph).

Last edited by 1100D : 3rd April 2017 at 21:34.
1100D is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th August 2017, 21:26   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Can anyone who has installed the Eaton MLD (assuming that this is what M&M is using on the TUV as its compatible with NG Scorpio) comment on its performance over 50-100K kms lifespan? Asking this as I am sitting on the fence on the MLD replacement that M&M is offering free for TUV owners with wheelspin issues.

I havent really had wheelspin issues and I have taken the TUV up some narrow & moderately steep inclines. The only reason I want to get the MLD is because it will make the TUV a very good soft roader and I wont have to think a lot while taking those relatively less know narrow roads in the rains.

Any feedback on performance over time and usability would be highly appreciated.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2017, 00:14   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Can anyone who has installed the Eaton MLD (assuming that this is what M&M is using on the TUV as its compatible with NG Scorpio) comment on its performance over 50-100K kms lifespan? Asking this as I am sitting on the fence on the MLD replacement that M&M is offering free for TUV owners with wheelspin issues.

My Scorpio has done more than 1 lakh kms after MLD fitment, no issues at all. However, is it really true that M&M is offering free installation on TUV, If so, its really some news.

Generally, many people are of the opinion that locking differential on a 2wd is hardly of any use. But I do tend to think otherwise. To me, it can sometimes be more effective than a 4wd with open differentials at both ends!
1100D is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed