Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2013, 13:57   #1
BANNED

Eaton MLD (M-Locker) now available off the shelf

Ever since I had Hariya (my Scorpio CRDe) with me, I was trying to make him as capable as possible off road (he is a two wheel drive) and was finally able to procure and install an MLD from M&M last year. I have covered around 30k kms with it and it has helped me out of a few tricky situations as well.

However, procuring it was a tall task in itself since it is a "restricted for export" part.

However, I stumbled across some good news today. Eaton is now offering the MLD in the open market through its service centres.

Quote:
- Eaton India now offers the MLD for SUVs such as the Tata Safari, Storme, Aria, Xenon and the Mahindra Scorpio and Getaway models. The MLD will be fitted onto the SUVs at Eaton’s service centers across India. Cost of each MLD will come up to about 23,000-25,000 rupees (variation on account of INR-USD exchange rate as the MLD is imported).

- Note: The Eaton MLD is compatible with Tata and Mahindra SUVs with an axle ratio/final drive of 4.1. For Tata SUVs, the axle ratio/final drive is indicated by the gearbox’s specifications: G-76,5/4.1, where 76 stands for gearbox type, 5 for number of gears and 4.1 for final drive/axle ratio.

- For more details on the MLD, you may get in touch with Mr Ashim Dhar, Eaton India, at ashimdhar (at) eaton (dot) com.
Here is the Link for the Story.

http://www.cartoq.com/cartoq-exclusi...-scorpio-suvs/

I feel it will go a long way in addressing the needs of a lot of people who have been wanting to install an OEM MLD in their vehicles.
What do you think?

Last edited by Rehaan : 26th December 2013 at 15:00. Reason: Adding some excerpts from the article.
n.devdath is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 18th December 2013, 20:57   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Eaton MLD (M-Locker) now available off the shelf

I think for Thar owners, this is probably the best option.

I wish we can convince them to to a 19 spline version also. Their market will increase drastically if they can do 19 spline also since majority of jeeps in India has 19 spline rear axles.

Dev, Any idea about the price ???
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2013, 22:39   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Dev, Any idea about the price ???
Yes Tini. It will cost around 25k INR depending on the USD value at the time of import.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2013, 22:45   #4
Senior - BHPian

I guess we have a member Fiat Tarun who is from Eaton. Anyway this is indeed great news for Thar Owners, as such I am very very happy with the MLD on my Marengo (4x4 scorpio)
Old 18th December 2013, 22:50   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
I feel it will go a long way in addressing the needs of a lot of people who have been wanting to install an OEM MLD in their vehicles.
What do you think?
The article says "The MLD will be fitted onto the SUVs at Eaton’s service centers across India". Where can one get a list of these service centers? Their website just lists the distributors/city.

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 18th December 2013, 23:39   #6
BHPian

So what is the difference between LSD & MLD?
Old 19th December 2013, 01:35   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
So what is the difference between LSD & MLD?
LSD = Limited Slip Differential. It allows some amount of slippage in the differential and doesn't lock both axles completely. Since LSD is less intrusive, it is also installed in some 2WD Cars like Skoda Ocatavia etc.

MLD = Mechanical Locking Differential which when engaged locks the differential completely without allowing any slippage between the axles. i.e power is transferred 50:50 between the axles.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 19th December 2013 at 01:38.
4x4addict is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th December 2013, 10:28   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Behram has done a lot of work with this locker i believe. He can shed more light on it.

I think, (not sure), that there was some problem with this locker in the international market. Some issue being not engaging and or being fragile (the g80s). I'm not sure though and could be wrong.

Here's a nice video explaining the MLocker:

Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th December 2013, 11:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

Eaton MLD (M-Locker) aka GOV-LOCK

Hi Guys,

The Eaton MLD is essentially a G80 differential or GOV-LOCK.

Unfortunately these unit are not known for their ruggedness.

In TPC2013, one of the Gerrari Thar's busted the MLD, and had to drop out of the event at the end of second day.

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th December 2013, 11:24   #10
BANNED

Re: Eaton MLD (M-Locker) aka GOV-LOCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Some issue being not engaging and or being fragile (the g80s).
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Unfortunately these unit are not known for their ruggedness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
I am very very happy with the MLD on my Marengo (4x4 scorpio)
I too am very happy with it on Hariya(my scorpio) for the past 30k kms and it has pulled him out from a lot of sticky places without any issues so far, so I guess the reports of it being fragile are more of one off cases.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 19th December 2013 at 14:19.
n.devdath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2013, 11:44   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I too am very happy with it on Hariya for the past 30k kms and it has pulled him out from a lot of sticky places without any issues so far, so I guess the reports of it being fragile are more of one off cases.
For me this has gone for more than 40k now, without any instance of non-engagement. However, my usage has not been as extreme as some extreme OTR events, mainly to allow me an opportunity to self-extract when one side wheels are dug.

One more aspect of choosing this was that, I had got this done at Mahindra by Mahindra and thus not having to resort to aftermarket or have warranty issues.

To participate in extreme OTR competitions, there could be better options available.
1100D is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th December 2013, 14:37   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I too am very happy with it on Hariya(my scorpio) for the past 30k kms and it has pulled him out from a lot of sticky places without any issues so far, so I guess the reports of it being fragile are more of one off cases.
I think Arka/Tejas are referring to the performance in offroad events, where they are severely tested.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2013, 20:39   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I think Arka/Tejas are referring to the performance in offroad events, where they are severely tested.
Any product including the ARB air locker will have negative feedback from some people on the internet. End of the day these are mechanical components and could fail like any other part of your car.

The Thar Seems to be surviving beatings with semi floating rear axles and IFS. Secondly, there is not assurance that a devise manufactured by Lambda should be 100% reliable. Given the choice that we have in the Indian market, it is 45K for Lambda or 25K for Eaton. End of the day, it is upto the buyer..
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2013, 21:33   #14
Team-BHP Support

Found these statements little odd.

Quote:
The MLD’s function is to distribute torque evenly to both the rear wheels of an SUV.
He is describing open differential here. If MLD worked like that, if one wheel loses traction, both wheels get almost no torque and the vehicle gets stuck.

Quote:
At higher speeds, the MLD functions as a light bias Limited Slip Differential (LSD).
So it doesn't fully become free even at highspeed?
Old 19th December 2013, 23:41   #15
BHPian

And we have the Eaton E-Locker for passenger cars as well, with a touch of a button Nice

quadra is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks