Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2013, 01:00   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Eaton MLD (M-Locker) now available off the shelf

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
And we have the Eaton E-Locker for passenger cars as well, with a touch of a button Nice
Rockets are also launched at the press of a button. . This one is an electronically actuated locker.
Old 20th December 2013, 08:49   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Found these statements little odd. He is describing open differential here. If MLD worked like that, if one wheel loses traction, both wheels get almost no torque and the vehicle gets stuck. So it doesn't fully become free even at highspeed?
In "Distribute torque equally" , the torque should be, @the propeller shaft. Not the other wheel.
Old 20th December 2013, 09:43   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
In "Distribute torque equally" , the torque should be, @the propeller shaft. Not the other wheel.
Hmm, what do you mean? Propeller shaft doesn't make any torque distribution. It is the job of the differential.
Old 20th December 2013, 14:58   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hmm, what do you mean? Propeller shaft doesn't make any torque distribution. It is the job of the differential.
With this Eaton MLD, the torque available at the propeller shaft, is distributed evenly to both tyres, irrespective of their traction.
Old 20th December 2013, 15:22   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
With this Eaton MLD, the torque available at the propeller shaft, is distributed evenly to both tyres, irrespective of their traction.
This is exactly what an open differential does.

I think Eaton MLD turns both wheels at the same speed irrespective of their traction. But torque would be different, if the traction at each wheel is different.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 17:59   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is exactly what an open differential does.

I think Eaton MLD turns both wheels at the same speed irrespective of their traction. But torque would be different, if the traction at each wheel is different.
Upon actuation the axles, left/right, are locked as one, hence "Locker". Whatever torque there is from the driveshaft is spread to both wheels equally as there is, in effect, one solid axle. "Torque" here is defined as the force needed to turn a shaft.

You only get differing torque if you have some sort of clutch or spooling system. To this might be added sensors and computer chips deciding how much torque goes to each wheel based on slippage similar to ABS. The humvee has this option as do some other high end SUVs, especially, but not necessarily, those with AWD and center differential.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 20th December 2013 at 18:26.
Old 21st December 2013, 20:45   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Ever since I had Hariya (my Scorpio CRDe) with me, I was trying to make him as capable as possible off road (he is a two wheel drive) and was finally able to procure and install an MLD from M&M last year. I have covered around 30k kms with it and it has helped me out of a few tricky situations as well.

However, procuring it was a tall task in itself since it is a "restricted for export" part.

However, I stumbled across some good news today. Eaton is now offering the MLD in the open market through its service centres.

Here is the Link for the Story.

http://www.cartoq.com/cartoq-exclusi...-scorpio-suvs/

I feel it will go a long way in addressing the needs of a lot of people who have been wanting to install an OEM MLD in their vehicles.
What do you think?
Thats a good scoop N.Devdath! Any idea about the costs involved? should be cheaper than getting it fixed on the scorpio through M&M dealers. 1100D has already explained, through a nice video in his 'Marengo' thread, what a clever piece of machinery this MLD is. It seems that no 4x4 is a fully complete offroader without an MLD or some sort of other diff lock. And it will make a 4x2 a quasi 4x4 as well.
Old 21st December 2013, 20:52   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by windiesel View Post
Thats a good scoop N.Devdath! Any idea about the costs involved?
The approximate price is mentioned in one of the posts in this thread.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2013, 21:04   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
The approximate price is mentioned in one of the posts in this thread.
Indeed! in post no. 3. Sorry it escaped my attention.
Old 25th December 2013, 19:08   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by windiesel View Post
An MLD will make a 4x2 a quasi 4x4 as well.
Dear Windiesel - oh my God, I can't stop laughing! Please don't give people such "gyan". "Some MBA types" had already tried to influence the minds of the "powers that be" by saying that "if MLD is there, 4*4 is not required" / "Sir, cost saving Sir"! What happens when you want low ratio? No answer, because many did not even know that low ratio existed! As they say in Hindi - "kehta bhi diwana aur sunta bhi diwana"! . Forgive me, I can't stop laughing so LOL smiley is justified!

Dear all - please note that in any differential, the power goes from the propeller shaft to pinion to crown to cage to star gears to sun gears to axle shafts to wheels. Normally 4*4 application vehicle differentials run 4 star gears, so when the vehicle is driving straight (means when the star gears are not physically rotating on their cage cross pin but transmitting power), the torque is shared by 4 teeth. When MLD is fitted, where does it physically locate? Obviuously in the place occupied by the star gears, because the MLD is basically a pawl and ratchet mechanism, it has to lock something to something else, so it must be next to the locking members only, naa? So, out of 4 star gears, 2 have to go, so that there is place to fit the MLD mechanism. What happens to the torque transmission now? The same torque as before has to be taken by 2 teeth instead of 4. Will this not require use of a higher strength material? Is this confirmed by the manufacturer? Is the material and heat treatment specified in the drawing? Will the metallurgist of the OEM approve this drawing? What is the shear strength of the MLD ratchet locating pin?

Selling something in the market is one thing, engineering it for OE application and evaluating it in the laboratory / track / field out there is a completely different ball game. Market has no warranty, remember, OE gives warranty! Although I am not a metallurgist, I request for a healthy debate on this issue, with material specification, it will benefit all of us, all of us will learn something. I am not looking for "marketing type" replies.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 25th December 2013 at 19:14.
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 25th December 2013, 19:51   #26
Senior - BHPian

^^^
Always wary of power transmission mechanisms which engage (0 ->100) suddenly. The shock loads can be tremendous. Autolockers fall in that category.

However I'm sure that the forces can be accommodated (in say xx% of the cases) in a properly engineered and manufactured item. And this is where the manufacturers reputation comes in. Till (field) proven otherwise. (Much like though FF axles are generally stronger than the SF type, does not mean that the SF type cannot be engineered for a given particular application!)

Regards
Sutripta

Last edited by Sutripta : 25th December 2013 at 20:01.
Sutripta is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th December 2013, 16:48   #27
Team-BHP Support

All the torque generation and distribution posts have been moved to the below thread to keep this thread on topic.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...tribution.html
Old 28th December 2013, 17:16   #28
Senior - BHPian

All the technical guys out here > Will this (E LOCKER) fit on a 2008 Safari 4wd 2.2L ?

http://www.eaton.in/EatonIN/Products..._329340#tabs-2

The link says it is designed for 4WD systems.
Please advise on the pros & cons.
How does this E Locker differ from the Air locker in terms of reliability and performance?
As this thread says the Eaton Lockers are available for the Safari, I would consider installing these. Looking forward for your inputs.

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 28th December 2013 at 17:32.
Old 28th December 2013, 20:19   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
All the technical guys out here > Will this (E LOCKER) fit on a 2008 Safari 4wd 2.2L ?
How does this E Locker differ from the Air locker in terms of reliability and performance?
@jay: Safari uses a clone of the Dana 44 rear axle. So you can buy the fit the Eaton E-Locker made for Dana 44 Axles -30 Spline applications.

With reference to ARB air locker, it has a better reputation in the off-road community, but comes at a high cost. If money is no object then get the ARB air locker. If you want something cheaper then go for the Eaton E-locker.

The locker that we are referring to on this thread is no the Elocker but the Mechanical Locker which gets engaged automatically when wheel slip is detected. The Eaton E-locker can be engaged using a switch.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 28th December 2013 at 20:21.
Old 28th December 2013, 20:34   #30
BHPian

And what would be the cost of E locker, Mlocker is around 25k.
As somebody already mentioned that majority of old school jeeps in our country is 19 spine, so is this E locker also confined to 30 spline?

Andy

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks