Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2017, 13:06   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Feedback on Ironman Suspension?

Let me be frank here. I've tried TJM , Ironman, OME and now I'm on Bilstein! I've wasted a lot of money and my slow speed ride is still the pits!
I'm in the same boat you are and my advice is not to spend any money on shockers and springs.
I think we need redesigned softer springs to handle to slow speed ride.
jyobeb is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st October 2017, 15:22   #17
Senior - BHPian

Hi all,

Anyone tried ironman leaf spring setup on a Gypsy? If so, any feedback would be highly appreciated. My primary requirements are a good lift and a slightly better ride comfort, both of which - I am told - will be met by the ironman setup.

thanks in advance for your inputs...
Old 28th October 2017, 20:40   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Hi all,

Anyone tried ironman leaf spring setup on a Gypsy? If so, any feedback would be highly appreciated. My primary requirements are a good lift and a slightly better ride comfort, both of which - I am told - will be met by the ironman setup.

thanks in advance for your inputs...
I have it in my Gypsy. The leafsprings; Shocks; Steering damper and PU Bushes - all by Ironman.

The ride is phenomenal to say the least. Worth every rupee spent for the setup.

Will i recommend it. A big YES. This is the single best investment a Gypsy owner can do.
harshavardhan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th October 2017, 07:25   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The leafsprings; Shocks; Steering damper and PU Bushes - all by Ironman.
Can you share approximate costs and did you also checked ARB? Can you post some pictures of your ride?
Old 29th October 2017, 08:38   #20
Senior - BHPian

Even if I could fix the ride at just the Gypsy rear without giving up on reliability, I would be a customer. The front does not trouble me anywhere like the rear does - that one does serious damage to driver/ passenger backs. And not playing with the front set up would be good for peace of mind for safe driving on highways.

For the rear, I am not interested in marginal improvements, those would not be worth the trouble and can be replicated by just loading the rear with a couple of hundred kilos of load.

Last edited by Sawyer : 29th October 2017 at 08:49.
Old 31st October 2017, 06:04   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Can you share approximate costs and did you also checked ARB? Can you post some pictures of your ride?
My gypsy with 235 / 70 R 15 wheels and Ironman Suspension.

I have PM'ed the costs. Thanks.

Feedback on Ironman Suspension?-1509410037735.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 8th May 2019 at 17:56. Reason: Image inserted in-line.
harshavardhan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st April 2019, 22:25   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harshavardhan View Post
My gypsy with 235 / 70 R 15 wheels and Ironman Suspension.
How has this affected the ride quality on-road and off-road? Is the articulation increased? Considering the pathetic OEM suspensions of the Gypsy, I have almost decided to go for CFLs at the rear but I am worried about the reliability and performance off-road. However, I would definitely be ready to spend more to improve the suspension of Gypsy if it is worth. Would you please mind sharing the cost with me as well?
Old 7th May 2019, 14:43   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsi View Post
How has this affected the ride quality on-road and off-road? Is the articulation increased? Considering the pathetic OEM suspensions of the Gypsy, I have almost decided to go for CFLs at the rear but I am worried about the reliability and performance off-road. However, I would definitely be ready to spend more to improve the suspension of Gypsy if it is worth. Would you please mind sharing the cost with me as well?
My suggestion for this:

# CFL, just at rear will not solve much and for all 4 are no longer cost effective.
# From what I have heard: Ironman are a bit more stiffer and OME are a bit less stiff. However, both are equally good and it just depends on your preference.

Now, do bear in mind that NOTHING ever will give you a car or even a Thar like ride in a Gypsy. So, please calibrate your expectations accordingly or you will end up disappointed.

All of above will be 'marginal to reasonable' improvements in the ride quality of Gypsy and that itself is good enough for most folks.
khan_sultan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2019, 16:56   #24

Hi,
Can anyone provide inputs for Ironman suspension on Thar?
Although Mrs is very fond of the vehicle, she finds the seating uncomfortable. I am unable to plan for long distance (Hyd-Leh / Hyd-Sandakphu) due to this.
Is there any way to make the ride less bouncy for That other than upgrading the seats/seat covers?
Usually it is only the two of us without any load with 90% city driving (tarmac).

Last edited by aah78 : 8th May 2019 at 17:57. Reason: Post fixed - spacing.
Old 8th May 2019, 22:49   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusteinstein View Post
Hi,

Is there any way to make the ride less bouncy for That other than upgrading the seats/seat covers?
Usually it is only the two of us without any load with 90% city driving (tarmac).
1. 100 Kg sandbags at the rear.

Easy.
Simple.
Who cares if it's stolen.
Drastic ride improvement.

2. Air down to 26 for city driving. Vast difference in ride quality. Ofcourse long runs, always air up to 30 at least.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2019, 13:25   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
1. 100 Kg sandbags at the rear.
2. Air down to 26 for city driving. Vast difference in ride quality. Ofcourse long runs, always air up to 30 at least.
Well I need to try the sandbag trick that many have mentioned. I'll update my findings here once done.

Thanks
rusteinstein is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2020, 15:09   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well I need to try the sandbag trick that many have mentioned. I'll update my findings here once done.

Thanks
Did you try it ?
Old 20th January 2020, 20:18   #28
KMT
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
Can anyone provide inputs for Ironman suspension on Thar?
Although Mrs is very fond of the vehicle, she finds the seating uncomfortable. I am unable to plan for long distance (Hyd-Leh / Hyd-Sandakphu) due to this.
I have been using Ironman on my Thar for 5 years now. The handling is brilliant but the ride is cactus.

It will corner flat in the ghats and does not rock and roll on the highway, it really inspires confidence.

However after 3 years of enjoyment, it stuffed up my back so bad that I have stopped driving my Thar completely. When I go back to stock dampers I find the ride all wobbly and loose.

So if comfort is what you are after, forget Ironman.
If you want good control offroad and a firm feel onroad, its great.
KMT is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th September 2021, 12:26   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
So if comfort is what you are after, forget Ironman.
If you want good control offroad and a firm feel onroad, its great.
Can you share more details on which Ironman shocks you had opted for? Was it comfort with Foamcell or the hard variety?
Old 6th November 2023, 13:32   #30
BHPian

Hello guys,

I'm in the process of purchasing a new Mahindra Thar petrol AT 4*4, I'd like to know if someone has installed IM suspension and would like to get a feedback for the same.

Also what is the part number for the IM set up for the Thar? IM website doesn't show up for Thar, there's only the older Scorpio for some strange reason.

Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks