Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2014, 17:16   #1
BHPian

Feedback on Ironman Suspension?

I drive a 2009 Mitsubishi Montero Automatic 3.2 DiD and I am considering installing Ironman Suspension on it. However, am worried that the ride may become unduly harsh. I am unlikely to use it offroad; my usage will predominantly be in Mumbai (which has relatively crappy roads, to be honest) and on inter-city highways.

If anyone has a full-sized SUV such as a Land Cruiser / Montero / Pajero / Fortuner with Ironman Suspension installed and wouldn't mind giving me a short ride in their vehicle, that would really help. Would really like to experience it before I plonk down the dosh to buy it.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Ravi

Last edited by ravi_xx : 21st February 2014 at 17:18.
Old 21st February 2014, 20:35   #2
Senior - BHPian

Just got myself a full set of Iron Man suspension for my Montero. Will let you about the ride and handling after I get it installed on Monday, 25th.

Last edited by jyobeb : 21st February 2014 at 20:36.
jyobeb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2014, 14:51   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Feedback on Ironman Suspension?

Would've understood if you were looking at a lift or increasing it's offroad ability. But since you aren't, why Ironman? The Montero's stock suspension setup is superb for Indian driving conditions and I'd personally stick with that only.

@ Jyoyeb: Look forward to your review.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2014, 16:59   #4
Senior - BHPian

Ironman suspension components come in a few options. Notably, their springs can be for Comfort, Performance or Constant Load - each of these have different behaviour. Since your use is primarily in city, you might want to opt for Comfort springs, with Foam Cell Shocks that do a really good job of damping - I use these on the rear of my leaf-sprung LC76 (with Ironman performance leafs), and the change was good enough to make the rear seat usable.

I believe the comfort series makes vehicles more comfortable than stock if paired with the Foam Cells, but I wonder how you find the soft Pajero springs harsh? If its damping you want to improve, don't bother changing the springs just replace the shocks with Ironman FoamCell.

EDIT: Pajero catalogue here: http://www.ironman4x4.com/html/mitsubishi/42.html

Last edited by Steeroid : 22nd February 2014 at 17:01.
Steeroid is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2014, 10:33   #5
Senior - BHPian

I had the older Montero (2007 model) which was an absolute delight. I loved that car and enjoyed 1,25,000 kms of motoring on it. Infact I liked it so much that I decided to replace it with the new Montero 2010 model, which in hindsight, was a crappy decision.
The new Montero automatic, is powerful with 200bhp, has a much more modern dash and more airbags, but the guys just lost it in the ride department.
The car wallows too much when taking curves fast, but still manages to crash into potholes and generally gives a hard ride inside town. How the Mitsubishi guys managed to screw up the low speed ride and the high speed ride at the same time, is a mystery indeed.
I installed a set of TJM heavy duty springs and shocks which I removed in two weeks. The ride, which was far too firm, made the handling great but was terrible on anything less than perfect roads.
Hence now, my trial with the Ironmans. I told Zac that I needed a firm ride which removed the boatlike handling but that I needed a certain level of comfort also.
I will know soon!

Last edited by jyobeb : 23rd February 2014 at 10:35.
jyobeb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2014, 17:01   #6
BHPian

@jyobeb - look forward to your feedback. that will frankly determine whether i keep the montero or sell it.

thanks
Ravi
Old 23rd February 2014, 17:19   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb View Post
How the Mitsubishi guys managed to screw up the low speed ride and the high speed ride at the same time, is a mystery indeed.
Thats strange, because the suspension components are exactly the same (at least abroad for the Petrol models) for all the Pajs post 2001. Or so we're told....
Old 23rd February 2014, 18:04   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The car wallows too much when taking curves fast, but still manages to crash into potholes and generally gives a hard ride inside town. How the Mitsubishi guys managed to screw up the low speed ride and the high speed ride at the same time, is a mystery indeed.

I am going to tell you something which you may at first think is stupid...considering the author, you may be right...

You might try tinkering a bit with the air pressure in your tyres. Take note of the suggested air pressure. Add 5 lbs to that and test it. 5lbs can make all the difference in the world. Often "wallow" is not a spring/shock problem, it can be a problem of radial tyres sidewalls flexing too much under the centrifugal force. 5lbs can stop the over-flex to a degree that can surprise you.

Also, a set of top quality tyres can make a world of difference....Michelins, Continentals, etc.
DirtyDan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2014, 18:41   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post

I am going to tell you something which you may at first think is stupid...considering the author, you may be right...

You might try tinkering a bit with the air pressure in your tyres. Take note of the suggested air pressure. Add 5 lbs to that and test it. 5lbs can make all the difference in the world. Often "wallow" is not a spring/shock problem, it can be a problem of radial tyres sidewalls flexing too much under the centrifugal force. 5lbs can stop the over-flex to a degree that can surprise you.

Also, a set of top quality tyres can make a world of difference....Michelins, Continentals, etc.
Dan, pretty much tried every trick in the book to no avail.
The issue was pretty much the same on the other similar model Monteros.
The suspension part numbers for the pre-2007 are different from the post-2007 Montero which makes me assume that they did indeed tinker with the suspension parts post 2007.
jyobeb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2014, 21:57   #10
Team-BHP Support

Have you tried just replacing the shocks? Sometimes that is the cheaper and gives best of both worlds performance.
Old 23rd February 2014, 22:54   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Have you tried just replacing the shocks? Sometimes that is the cheaper and gives best of both worlds performance.
Nope! I'm a sucker for punishment! The bilstein dealers wanted 55k only for the shocks, hence decided to try the IronMan! Zac will live upto his promises I think!
I actually tried stock shocks and TJM springs, then TJM shocks and stocks springs, and ended up pissing off my dealer with my shenanigans !!
Old 24th February 2014, 10:08   #12
Senior - BHPian

I accidently got sent 2 sets of rear springs. Waiting for Zac to send me the front springs. Installation will happen after they arrive.
Old 28th February 2014, 13:37   #13
Senior - BHPian

I just drove my Montero back after the IronMan set was fitted.
First impression was that there seems an appreciable lift of almost 2 inches.
The ride on the highway was good with minimal swaying and very good high speed grip.
When I went into potholes, I still felt it was not as good as a Toyota, but it was far better than it was with the stock shocks.
On the whole, I am very happy with the Ironmans. I could have been happier with a softer ride but not if it meant compromising my high speed ride.
In my opinion, a definitely worthwhile upgrade.
jyobeb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2014, 16:57   #14
BHPian

Hey do keep us informed as to how it works. Have a 2011 montero with the same problems that you are talking about, wallowing at high speed turns. would be interesting to know if the IM's work for this
Old 25th January 2017, 12:09   #15
BHPian

Quote:
On the whole, I am very happy with the Ironmans. I could have been happier with a softer ride but not if it meant compromising my high speed ride.
In my opinion, a definitely worthwhile upgrade.
I realize this is an old thread but am trying to get a long term evaluation of the Ironman.

I have a 07 Montero (new model with the added weight) and though I find the handling to be acceptable, the low speed ride is not. Handling had improved when I changed from earlier Maxxis Bravo HT to Michelin Cross Contact AT tyres. It crashes through pot holes and is most unsettled on short sharp ruts and ridges. Deeper potholes or undulations are not that much of a problem.

Jyobeb, what is your long term evaluation of the Ironman setup? What springs (comfort/performance) and dampers (Nitro/foam cell) combination did you go for?

Gears,
Red-One.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks