Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2014, 11:15   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: How to get Snow Chains in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by swsumit View Post
Hello ,
Could some information be shared on which product based on company performance is better " Thule CB 12 Snow chains " or " SCC SUPER SZ-6 SZ123 "

Regards
Sumit
No idea.
I just tried out glacier and SCC. Both were good enough. You can go through amazon reviews for the cables/chains and then decide. Which vehicle are you planning chains for?
Old 4th April 2014, 22:29   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
No idea.
I just tried out glacier and SCC. Both were good enough. You can go through amazon reviews for the cables/chains and then decide. Which vehicle are you planning chains for?
Hii,
Am planning for the Logan , they will be a back up in case i get stuck at Wari La or Zanskar , planning in last week of September/first week of October

regards
sumit
Old 5th April 2014, 10:39   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hii,
Am planning for the Logan , they will be a back up in case i get stuck at Wari La or Zanskar , planning in last week of September/first week of October

regards
sumit
You need only one pair of chains for the front 2 wheels. Get simple Z pattern cables as your's is a small car and clearance is limited.
SCC Z cable is about 60 USD in that size I think, but do check on SCC site.
Old 6th April 2014, 11:24   #19
BHPian

Quote:
You need only one pair of chains for the front 2 wheels. Get simple Z pattern cables as your's is a small car and clearance is limited.
SCC Z cable is about 60 USD in that size I think, but do check on SCC site.
I was thinking of the super SZ6 , which is latest frm SCC .These meet the S classification and as quited by the company need 6.3 mm of operating space in the inner side wall area.

Regards
Old 7th April 2014, 00:54   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I was thinking of the super SZ6 , which is latest frm SCC .These meet the S classification and as quited by the company need 6.3 mm of operating space in the inner side wall area.

Regards
Yes, you can take those. But you need only one pair, that's it.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2014, 20:38   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Normally, ordering stuff from amazon.com means a hefty shipping charge for heavy items, but amazon.com has a scheme where orders above 130-140$ per order qualify for free shipping to India.

Customs clearance is charged upfront, and costs about ~40-45% of your order price.
Due to low initial cost, you can get snow chains for a little more than the local stuff even if you buy the high end stuff

I tried ordering recently from amazon.com. Total cost of 8 items comes to $173. I chose the AmazonGlobal Standard Shipping option. During checkout, I see they imposed a Shipping & Handling charge of $139, and Import fees deposit of $96. I am ok with the Import fees, but I was hoping for free shipping, so the $139 is a bummer.
So I have backed out for now, still trying to figure out how to get the free shipping to India.
Any other suggestions?
Thanks.

EDIT:
This is what I found:
"
Why didn't I qualify for free shipping?

Your Amazon Export Sales, Inc. items:
Shipping to: Abh.., Kolkata, WEST BENGAL, 7000.. India

Not Eligible:Items shipped to addresses outside the United States are not eligible for FREE Shipping.
"

Maybe they do not offer free shipping to India any more :-(

Last edited by mr.sinha : 5th July 2014 at 20:44. Reason: Adding new info to previous post, instead of creating new post.
Old 5th July 2014, 20:39   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.sinha View Post
I tried ordering recently from amazon.com. Total cost of 8 items comes to $173. I chose the AmazonGlobal Standard Shipping option. During checkout, I see they imposed a Shipping & Handling charge of $139, and Import fees deposit of $96. I am ok with the Import fees, but I was hoping for free shipping, so the $139 is a bummer.
So I have backed out for now, still trying to figure out how to get the free shipping to India.
Any other suggestions?
Thanks.
Unfortunately, from July1, Amazon stopped global saver free shipping to India!
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2014, 20:50   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately, from July1, Amazon stopped global saver free shipping to India!
Gosh ! I feel like kicking myself now. I have had the items in my cart for over a week, thinking over, doing more research etc. and finally when I went to checkout yesterday, I miss the free shipping. Arrrgh.
Old 14th August 2014, 17:44   #24
BHPian

Excellent stuff and thanks for sharing.

I need to look for options to procure one for my XUV.
Old 11th October 2014, 20:41   #25
BHPian

I am also looking for chains for my XUV can we do some thing together? whats your location I am in Goa but going north so need to pack chains.

Ken
Old 30th January 2015, 11:22   #26
Team-BHP Support

With no free shipping option
If you order 4 pairs of chains it comes to about 8500/pair
If you order 6 pairs its 6700/pair
Old 30th January 2015, 11:53   #27
BHPian

Another option is to make them, expenditure Rs3000/- max for a pair. Have to buy steel cables, steel chains, steel cable clamps. MS cables and chains wont help as the welded joints on the chain may break away in rocky and ice terrain. A set for my thar.

How to get Snow Chains in India-158387678.bcx9se9d.158387678.54o3eyhk.20141111_160627.jpeg

Last edited by himadrimondal : 30th January 2015 at 11:54.
himadrimondal is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 30th January 2015, 12:32   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal View Post
Another option is to make them, expenditure Rs3000/- max for a pair.

A set for my thar.
That looks real nice! You should probably provide a detailed list with the components, material (SS 304?) and the quantity. More like a BOM (bill of materials). I could spot dog clamps and a carabiner - very innovative and thoughtful I'd say. Someone did his homework real well.

Will help others who are looking for a DIY set instead of importing them.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2015, 15:06   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Will help others who are looking for a DIY set instead of importing them.
Honestly I did not document or preserve any receipts and neither do I remember the price of the individual items. A gross estimate after finishing the job summed up to a little less than Rs 3000/- per pair. All steel used are SS 304 grade. Note the circumference of the Tyre three inches down from the outside circumference. The finished chain along with the carabiner should be exactly one inch more because of the locking mechanism of the carabiner.
List of items requires:
1. Steel cable, minimum 8 mm thickness. I choose cables over chains on the sides as chains won't keep its shape while putting the set on the wheels. The cable will hold its shape and locking both sides of the wheel real time will be far easier.
2. SS clips - 4 on each wheel
How to get Snow Chains in India-steel-rope-clip.jpg

and How to get Snow Chains in India-ss_thimbles.jpg

I choose the SS clips over this kind of finished loop as some antimony alloy was used to hard press the loop but it did not inspire confidence in me.
How to get Snow Chains in India-loop.jpg

3. 8mm diameter bolts (min 24 on each wheel). With the cable looped on one side, a nut followed by the ss chain with the exact number of links were inserted followed by another nut from the other side. The nuts on either side of the chain were then pressed on a hydraulic press.Almost all lathe workshops have them. With the nut hard clamped on to the cable, the chain is locked in position.

4. Carabiner - 2 per wheel
How to get Snow Chains in India-carabiner.jpg
Depending on the number of traction one requires, repeat step 3 and the close the loop on the other side followed by a carabiner, 1 ton capacity. Job done, get hold of a good quality bungee cable, standard size available at bike accessories shop to clamp the outside wheel chain.

Last edited by himadrimondal : 31st January 2015 at 15:21.
himadrimondal is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2015, 12:31   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal View Post
Another option is to make them, expenditure Rs3000/- max for a pair. Have to buy steel cables, steel chains, steel cable clamps. MS cables and chains wont help as the welded joints on the chain may break away in rocky and ice terrain. A set for my thar.

Attachment 1334389
Excellent DIY
As others have said, can you also give some instructions on making these.
One suggestion.
For tensioner, instead of bungee cord, go to new holland tractor shops, and buy rubber tensioner for tractor links(MRP 80rs/piece). You will need 2 per wheel, and these come with S hools on end. Excellent tension and very durable.
Most self made chains I saw on a recent snow drive were using these. My OEM glacier chain rubber tensioners snapped, but these ones are very very tough(Tractor links you see!)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks