Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2015, 14:09   #31
BHPian

Re: How to get Snow Chains in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
For tensioner, instead of bungee cord, go to new holland tractor shops, and buy rubber tensioner for tractor links(MRP 80rs/piece). You will need 2 per wheel, and these come with S hooks on end. Excellent tension and very durable.
That's an awesome revelation, will give a pro look to my otherwise crude tension-er clips and cord. Regarding making the chains, I thought the photograph itself was self explanatory followed by the write-up. If anyone is making them, please shoot me any number of questions and I will be glad to help.
himadrimondal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2015, 20:37   #32

This is my first post, so if there are any posting mistakes, please point them out and my apologies in advance.

My car is a Honda City ZX Gxi, fwd, shod with Michelin XM Energy 2, of size 175/65 R14. Need traction over a mud track of about 300 meters, to reach my home. In the dry season its about 2 inches of powdery mud, and post rains becomes slippery slush/mud, which in places can sink upto 4 inches. The depressions and ruts, which are not many, I will have filled and leveled.

Came across a review below;
http://bestreviews.com/best-snow-chains

The SCC Super Z6 is rated best, followed by a Glacier model. The Thule model is also highly rated. Lower down in the review, under the sub heading “Type”, the word ‘mud' is also mentioned against the SCC chain. So I am hopefully keeping my fingers and toes, crossed.

http://www.scc-chain.com/tire-chain-...tirechains/653

Above is the chain identified for my tyre size, viz., the SZ115 Super Z-6

However, while reading the 1 to 2 star reviews on Amazon.com, came across people having fitment problems. From India, can't ship back, also huge freight loss. Moreover, I need successful traction. In this context, paras 1 and 2 of the document below are critical I think, to avoid fitment problems;
http://www.scc-chain.com/wp-content/...Z6_install.pdf

To have a better idea of fitment, the link below are my tyre specs from Michelin India;
http://www.michelin.in/Home/Products...rCar/EnergyXM2

Can somebody help me make the right traction choice. For the last 6 months, I have scoured the Net and TBHP but no solution, except buy another vehicle, which I can ill afford and just does'nt make any sense for 300 mt. Need some serious help here. If this product is OK, then I propose to visit the ASS, lift the car and cross check with the workshop service manual, and put in writing on the job card (the clearance), since the owner manual does not specify clearance, though it says that fine limbed chains can be used, provided they don't fowl anywhere.
Thanks in advance and apologies for this long post.

Last edited by anra : 6th April 2015 at 21:04. Reason: To improve clarity.
Old 6th April 2015, 21:08   #33
BHPian

Hii ,

i did purchase the following Super Z6 SZ123 , the USP being that they are slim fit . I also have the R14.

The fitment as per me is simple enough , did not actually have to test the chains till date but yes i did try fitment and removal and even drove for about 10 mts or so .. everything looked fine to me .But i seriously wonder do you need snow chains for slushy mud tracks because i dont think that they will give grip in wet slush .

Regards
Sumit

Last edited by swsumit : 6th April 2015 at 21:09.
swsumit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2015, 21:23   #34

Thanks swsumit,

If ever you happen to drive in a muddy track, would be nice to know your experiences and feedback.

Actually, my track is not really watery slush, but wet clayey mud.

I have also today sent an e mail to SCC, US and hope to hear a resolution to my use.
Old 8th April 2015, 12:39   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anra View Post
Thanks swsumit,

If ever you happen to drive in a muddy track, would be nice to know your experiences and feedback.

Actually, my track is not really watery slush, but wet clayey mud.

I have also today sent an e mail to SCC, US and hope to hear a resolution to my use.
Is dumping a truck load or two, of medium sized stone chips, on those 300 odd meters, such a bad idea in your particular case?
Old 8th April 2015, 13:44   #36
Team-BHP Support

Do not use snow chains in Mud, esp on low clearance vehicles. Mud will stick, bulk up and then break something.
Snow chains are flow snow.
Yes, people use chains in mud during offroading, but those are SUVs with good clearance where things won't break.
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2015, 19:39   #37

Greatly appreciate thoughtful and prompt advices.

1. Will cost about Rs. 75K to dump material and then some annual maintenance. Had planned to look at this option more closely and see if costs can be pared, but presently looks difficult.

2. Sad to hear that chains won't work for me, though traction is possible, but clearance would be the problem, if I am right. Can something be worked out? If the cables are tensioned tightly, and fixed properly; for a short distance, bulking can't be avoided? .

Just to chisel further; is it possible get suitable AT tyres for eg., the many sedans that are used on the Indian rally circuit - is there something workable? I know I am going off topic from this thread, which I want to avoid, but I tried extensive searching on TBHP and did not find anything for this kind of an option.
Old 9th April 2015, 11:29   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Greatly appreciate thoughtful and prompt advices.

1. Will cost about Rs. 75K to dump material and then some annual maintenance. Had planned to look at this option more closely and see if costs can be pared, but presently looks difficult.

2. Sad to hear that chains won't work for me, though traction is possible, but clearance would be the problem, if I am right. Can something be worked out? If the cables are tensioned tightly, and fixed properly; for a short distance, bulking can't be avoided? .

Just to chisel further; is it possible get suitable AT tyres for eg., the many sedans that are used on the Indian rally circuit - is there something workable? I know I am going off topic from this thread, which I want to avoid, but I tried extensive searching on TBHP and did not find anything for this kind of an option.
How theft prone is your area. If not much, do this. Buy plastic sheet. Tarpaulin type. Cover the worst spots with it. Just drive over.
Will cost you around 1000-2000 for the worse spot coverage. Even if you have to do it once a year, its fine.
Old 9th April 2015, 12:42   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can somebody help me make the right traction choice.
Google tracgrabber. I've use it abroad and it's wonderful and very easy to use. Perfect for your issues. You will need one pair to tie on both your powered wheels (one each per wheel).

EDIT: Just googled for you:

http://www.tracgrabber.com

A few screenshots from their site:

How to get Snow Chains in India-screen-shot-20150409-12.45.jpeg

There are videos too on the site. The below one is just a screenshot of the video:

How to get Snow Chains in India-screen-shot-20150409-12.45.35-pm.jpg

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 9th April 2015 at 12:50.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2015, 19:57   #40

Extremely thankful for time spent trying to help me out. Shall look at them closely and report my experience.
Old 26th July 2015, 21:29   #41
BHPian

I have tried for an entire day on various online pages including Amazone to get two pairs of SZ429 chains and two pairs of SZ441 chains shipped to India. No luck at all. They don't even offer an option to pay shipping and get it delivered to India. Then I tried checking other available chains for tyre sizes 31x10.50 R15LT and 235/75-15. Once again not much of a luck. Finally I am trying to get the chains delivered to one of the clearing agents in US and use them to ship it to India.

I tried OLX.in, Flipcart, Wallmart, Ebay, Snapdeal etc also but results were the same. I tried calling few contacts listed in India mart and one facebook page mentioned in earlier posts. The snow chains remained elusive.

Do anyone have contacts of someone who could supply snow chains within one month please?
Old 26th July 2015, 23:30   #42
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renjith_Mani View Post
I have tried for an entire day on various online pages including Amazone to get two pairs of SZ429 chains and two pairs of SZ441 chains shipped to India.
Not sure if the chains you mentioned are available, but there are a lot of options available at Aliexpress.

Check them out:
http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?...ext=snow+chain

Cheers
gthang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2015, 00:20   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have tried for an entire day on various online pages including Amazone to get two pairs of SZ429 chains and two pairs of SZ441 chains shipped to India. No luck at all. They don't even offer an option to pay shipping and get it delivered to India. Then I tried checking other available chains for tyre sizes 31x10.50 R15LT and 235/75-15. Once again not much of a luck. Finally I am trying to get the chains delivered to one of the clearing agents in US and use them to ship it to India.

I tried OLX.in, Flipcart, Wallmart, Ebay, Snapdeal etc also but results were the same. I tried calling few contacts listed in India mart and one facebook page mentioned in earlier posts. The snow chains remained elusive.

Do anyone have contacts of someone who could supply snow chains within one month please?
Which vehicle? What's the tire size
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 is shipped to India
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2015, 11:40   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Which vehicle? What's the tire size
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 is shipped to India
Hi Tanveer
Thanks in advance once again for your usual support.

We have got two cars. But the tyres that came with the car from manufacturer were replaced by another set of tyres.
Car 1 - Mahindra Thar CRDE - the tyres now being used are 31x10.5 R15 LT
Car 2 - Bolero 4x4 - the tyres now being used are 235/75 R15
I am attaching couple of pictures so that you could see the clearance etc.

I also saw the chains you have suggested on Amazon but I was not sure if it would fit my car tyres. This was not the size suggested for the tyre sizes for my car by Amazon's guide.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
How to get Snow Chains in India-img20150330wa0009.jpg  

How to get Snow Chains in India-img20150725wa0014.jpg  

Last edited by Renjith_Mani : 27th July 2015 at 11:59.
Old 27th July 2015, 14:29   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi Tanveer
Thanks in advance once again for your usual support.

We have got two cars. But the tyres that came with the car from manufacturer were replaced by another set of tyres.
Car 1 - Mahindra Thar CRDE - the tyres now being used are 31x10.5 R15 LT
Car 2 - Bolero 4x4 - the tyres now being used are 235/75 R15
I am attaching couple of pictures so that you could see the clearance etc.

I also saw the chains you have suggested on Amazon but I was not sure if it would fit my car tyres. This was not the size suggested for the tyre sizes for my car by Amazon's guide.

Cheers
So you need one pair for Bolero and one pair for the Thar? If so, give me some time, I fill find something. What is your preference, chains or cables? If you are doing medium snow, cable will be good enough, but if you want to do some serious deep stuff, you have to go for chains.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks