Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2014, 20:36   #1
Senior - BHPian

Thar CRDe: Suspicious vibrations at ~2300 rpm

At 2300 rpm to 2500 rpm in 1st, 2nd, 3rd gear, I feel a little vibration, a little shudder in my 1 year old Thar CRDe. It has 33,000km on the dial. I have noticed the noise for the last 6000Km or so.

The vibration sounds/feels exactly like the first stages of a universal (cross-over) going bad. I, of course, have had the universals checked. Techs say they are okay. The noise seems to be coming from somewhere between the transfer case and the front differential.

The Thar moves in and out 4 wheel drive okay. But one suspicion I have is that one/both of the hubs or whatever mechanism is there (I am not a Borg Warner expert) is not locking or unlocking properly....don't know. Don't be unnecessarily swayed by my guess....experts, please give me your opinions....and test procedures.

Part Two: Treatment at the Mahindra Dealership.

The first tech guy goes out with me and hears the noise on a test drive and reports back. The service manager then assigns #2 tech, who is senior, and he takes it out on a test drive and reports no noise. I argue vehemently with the service manager and senior techy. The three of us go for test ride #3. Each time I accelerate to 2300-2500 rpm these guys start yelling at me....shift!, Shift! This happens 4 times. They say I am over-revving the engine and that is why I am getting a shudder. I tell them they are very, very wrong...the Thar can rev over 3000rpm without sounding like it is about to come apart. I am getting p*ss*d off because they are deliberately making conversation and noise right when I am reaching the shudder rpm range. They are deliberately fouling the test.
We go back to the dealership and the service manager and I have a "frank and candid" discussion. I tell him he is trying to squirm out of doing the work and that my warranty is almost at an end. He promises that if the noise gets worse, he will fix it passed the 36,000k limit if necessary. I left it at that for now. I kind of trust the Service Manager... to a degree.

If you want a poorly finished vehicle that HAD a lot of potential not realized in production and want to have nasty debates with service people, buy a Mahindra Thar CRDe.

I bought this thing because there was nothing suitable in the market a year ago. I thought I could put up with it until Maruti or somebody comes out with a better product. Maybe a Jimny or diesel Gypsy....or something new and 4x4. I suspect Maruti has succumbed to the Excel-slinging accountants and sundry hangers-on else they would answer the Thar.

So, that's my story. Your comments?
DirtyDan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th July 2014, 10:51   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Thar CRDe: Suspicious vibrations at ~2300 rpm

The Thar can be a daily driver, but the jumpy Gypsy? I guess a 4x4 Bolero is still a better bet.

As for your question, I'm sure you've tried this out, but, still isnt checking the engine, drive train & exhaust mounting worth a shot?
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2014, 22:35   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
The vibration sounds/feels exactly like the first stages of a universal (cross-over) going bad.
Take off the front prop shaft and recheck. Also make sure both hubs are free.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2014, 22:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

Danushs, Sutripta....I will check and recheck along the lines you suggest above...thanks.

Most Viewed