Team-BHP - Thar CRDe: Improving its low-end torque
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Technical (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-technical/)
-   -   Thar CRDe: Improving its low-end torque (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-technical/156710-thar-crde-improving-its-low-end-torque-7.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Safari_Beast (Post 4460836)
I don't get it whom you are referring to ...Let me know if you need contacts for any of these guys , i will be happy to assist. :D

I just tried one number from a shop you mentioned. Speedsport. It was wrong as posted on their web site. The number they gave turned out to be a horse race betting number.

If you have a good number from them or better yet, a number in the Punjab, I sure could use your assist.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rahul Rao (Post 4458113)
If your car is out of warranty try extending the wire to the sensor, and adding a switch for it on the dash. use the switch to disconnect the sensor while taking a graded start, and run with the sensor connected in normal conditions.
Rahul

This is a nice idea. Could anyone highlight which of the wires from that sensor do i bring inside the dashboard? Or may be bringing one of them should serve the purpose. I am seriously thinking of this. 90% of my start is grade as i live in Gangtok.

Hello everyone,

I have escalated this issue with Mahindra, let's see what they will do. We are facing this issue of climbing hilly roads which is possible thru massive clutch slippage only. The vehicle has considerable drop in performance at high altitudes as well as is unable to climb the hilly roads properly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_MNC_SK (Post 4474370)
This is a nice idea. Could anyone highlight which of the wires from that sensor do i bring inside the dashboard? Or may be bringing one of them should serve the purpose. I am seriously thinking of this. 90% of my start is grade as i live in Gangtok.

If Mahindra is unable to solve this issue, then I will do the state of the art workaround for this issue, have already found the solution. The MAF sensor gives the proportionate voltage on the scale of 0-5V. When we disconnect the terminal, the ECU sees full 5 V which equates to high air volume density and thus rich mixture results in power boost. The workaround is to make an adaptor which sits between MAF sensor and the terminal harness and fortunately the connectors used are TYCO automotive 5-pin types which are easily available. One has to wire it in such a way using the relay, So with a flip of switch the ECU sees full 5V to give the boost and in off position the ECU will get default reading.

Today evening, a real-time test was demonstrated at Shimla under the supervision of Snow View Automobiles , a Mahindra authorised showroom and workshop. Vehicles involved were my own Thar along with other Thar CRDE provided by showroom, Bolero M2DICR, Scorpio mHawk.

Bolero and Scorpio managed to climb the selected steep road smoothly whereas the Thar only managed after considerable clutch slippage which resulted in clutch burning smell. Same test was repeated with MAF sensor wire disconnected and as anticipated the result was awesome and every one was surprised to see that the same Thar with MAF sensor wire disconnected climbed the same road effortlessly.:Frustrati .

The drivers were provided by Snow View Automobiles and they also confirmed that Thar lacks torque at lower rpm and hence they had to keep the vehicle either in momentum or use clutch slippage technique in order to manage the climb.

Mahindra are you listening?

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMT (Post 3560807)
Akshay I used to have a Scorpio 2.6 it would easily shoot up hills in 2nd.
My Thar now requires me to cut down to 1st almost always.
The guys who changed the 2.6 engine to a 2.5 screwed up by making the engine oversquare.
Who puts an oversquare engine in an off roader? Oh I forgot its the geniuses at M&M.

One of their crap ASMs was telling me lately that why don't you put the vehicle in 4X4 LO on paved tarmac roads to get away with the situation.please: When I confronted him that other vehicles from Mahindra like Bolero and Scorpio manages the hill stretches well enough he said you cannot compare the THAR with those vehicles. :Frustrati Surely, The short stroke oversquare engine is at the play for the mess and Mahindra is at fault. Expect clutch burning and slippage on hilly terrains.

I have blanked out the EGR and have had some improvement across the powerband..
It costs just a few 100 bucks at your local mech. Its worth a try.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMT (Post 4488054)
I have blanked out the EGR and have had some improvement across the powerband..
It costs just a few 100 bucks at your local mech. Its worth a try.

Hi,
You have done this mod on Thar CRDE or Thar DI(M2DICR) ?

CRDe.
I have done a few other things but this is the simplest. Pls use good gauge metal as it gets pretty hot.
A 20k DT box is the next step.
Then perhaps a cat-con delete.

I bought a new 2018 Thar at year's end. There was nothing else on the market that gets serviced here close by, not Isuzu, not Renault. There are strong rumors that the Thar is going to get a radical makeover later in 2019, so I beat the 2019 30 thousand rupee price hike and bought a pre-"improved" version of the Thar.

Happily the boys at Mahindra have more-or-less fixed the really poor acceleration problem, off the line, that plagued earlier Thars. This 2018 gets off the line in good shape. But it is still a little slow on steep slopes. There is a re-map in my future, I think.

I would like to know if any of you with later model Thars have disconnected the air mass censor cable and what the results are. Ditto for the EGR, no problems disconnecting that?

I would also like to know what you guys have been using to protect the paint on the underside of your new vehicles. This is a little more important for vehicles that off-road, bad-road or ply areas of salt water.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyDan (Post 4523439)
I bought a new 2018 Thar at year's end. There was nothing else on the market that gets serviced here close by, not Isuzu, not Renault. There are strong rumors that the Thar is going to get a radical makeover later in 2019, so I beat the 2019 30 thousand rupee price hike and bought a pre-"improved" version of the Thar.

Happily the boys at Mahindra have more-or-less fixed the really poor acceleration problem, off the line, that plagued earlier Thars. This 2018 gets off the line in good shape. But it is still a little slow on steep slopes. There is a re-map in my future, I think.

I would like to know if any of you with later model Thars have disconnected the air mass censor cable and what the results are. Ditto for the EGR, no problems disconnecting that?

I would also like to know what you guys have been using to protect the paint on the underside of your new vehicles. This is a little more important for vehicles that off-road, bad-road or ply areas of salt water.

My Thar is from May-2018, I have recently got ECU remapped into stage 2 by Sujay of T8 Performance which included the change of exhaust to free-flow fully SS, EGR deleted . The performance is just another league now. You can start rolling the vehicle from stand-still in 2nd gear. There is a massive torque increase at lower RPM [1000-1500] and the crawling nature has been restored. Also the accelerator response delay has been taken care of. Did some experiments on steep inclines, not a problem anymore. Also the acceleration has increased many folds and now its a torpedo, throw anything, it just climbs and does highway cruising effortlessly. Exhaust note is killer now.clap: No temperature increase, so far clocked 1200kms after remap.:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyDan (Post 4523439)
Happily the boys at Mahindra have more-or-less fixed the really poor acceleration problem, off the line, that plagued earlier Thars. This 2018 gets off the line in good shape. But it is still a little slow on steep slopes. There is a re-map in my future, I think..................

So is there a difference in the late 2018 models vs say 2017 models or early 2018 models?
That is indeed surprising. Any info on whether it is just a software upgrade or something in the hardware has also been changed like some sensor etc.?

Quote:

Originally Posted by navpreet318 (Post 4524616)
So is there a difference in the late 2018 models vs say 2017 models or early 2018 models?
That is indeed surprising. Any info on whether it is just a software upgrade or something in the hardware has also been changed like some sensor etc.?

I couldn't tell you. My comparison was with my old 2013 Thar. Without a re-map and without pulling off the 2018 air mass sensor or EGR, there is a marked improvement of the 2018 over the 2013.

I will try to get a remap though. I have the need for speed.

The subtle improvement is from Feb 2018 onwards, it's in the software only.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurboDiesel (Post 4524397)
Exhaust note is killer now.clap: No temperature increase, so far clocked 1200kms after remap.:)

Can you post some pictures with the new SS exhaust? An audio along with that will be great.