Old 26th November 2021, 09:38   #16
HTC
BANNED

Re: Tata Safari: Unable to engage 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdubey23 View Post
Hi, bumping this old thread up.

Hoping to get a response.

P.S: The vehicle is in a slightly remote area. I did take it to a tata service center but they were sounding a bit clueless. I guess a big tata showroom in a big city will be able to diagnose

Please help! I'm keen on buying this car.
As suggested, take it to biggest and oldest tata service in Bangalore. They will have experienced mechanics. If the owner doesn't cooperate, walk away. Getting 4x4 mechanism fixed is a expensive affair. And the thought of it failing again doesnt give confidence on the vehicle reliability.

May I know which area the car is from and which year model? If near to south bangalore, call Keys tata service and check if they have service personnel who have good experience in 4x4 safaris.

I dropped couple of safaris from list as the owners were clueless or not interested to get it inspected. Search is still ON.

Keep us posted on the outcome.
HTC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 13:06   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdubey23 View Post
Hi, bumping this old thread up.

Hoping to get a response.

Problem:
4x4 system is not engaging.

Symptoms:
When I turn the ignition on, both the 4H and 4L lights turn on, then turn off for a second and then turn on again. After that, both the lights just stay on (see img) while I'm driving the car.

Toggling the switch from 2H to 4H while the vehicle is stationery or while moving at low speeds is not engaging the mechanism. Same with 4L when the vehicle was stationery.

I would SLOWLY roll forward and backward 5 meters and hit the brakes a little hard. At the end of each 5 meter stop, try to move the transfercase lever from H to L and in and out of four wheel drive. You might also turn the key completely off a few times while doing this. Maybe you will shake something loose in the process or maybe it will at least act differently, giving you a clue as to what is wrong. You might try this 15-20 times.

If you are thinking of buying this....well, it's gonna be your expensive problem so figure that into the the price equation. Good luck.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 26th November 2021 at 13:10.
DirtyDan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2021, 11:35   #18
BHPian

Thank you for the advice Dirty Dan and HTC.
But a few additional conversations with the owner has made me feel that he is not being completely honest about the vehicle. I have shared my experience with test driving this car in the "Buying a used safari 4x4" thread.
sdubey23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2022, 12:20   #19

Hello BHPians,
I own a Tata Safari VX 4X4 2011 model. It was 1.40k km done when I bought this a year ago and spend quite a bit to get all the mechanical issues fixed and past 6months, it's been hassle free and running good with no issues. Now it's 1.52k kms on the odo.The 4x4 has not been working since I brought it and whenever I speak about this to the service centre folks, they have not been confident and always convince me not to spend on it now. I too was sceptical about spending on 4x4 as that was not my priority then. Now that there's no other known problems and the vehicle is running great, i thought I should get this 4x4 issue too fixed.
I have been getting it serviced through the authorised Tata service centre in Edapally here at Kochi. Can anyone suggest a good expert for fixing the 4x4 issue.

Problem: While turning on the ignition, 4H and L lights come one temporarily and goes. But the system doesn't engage while shifting into 4H or L.
Old 31st January 2022, 12:14   #20
Senior - BHPian

For BorgWarner Electric shift troubles...

1) Lift car off the ground - all 4 wheels

2) Remove motor from Tcase mount (3 bolts) and operate the shifter inside the car 2H-4H-4L

3) Does the motor shaft turn accordingly? - No - Replace the motor (The wheel sensors and BW ECM dont fail that easily)

4) Motor Turns - Yes - Then take a Plyer and manually rotate the Tcase small shaft sticking out - this needs experience to hear the click Vs clank to know if Tcase if good or bad. It has to be firm 3 step rotate click, excess play means the chain and gear inside is worn out.

5) If the Tcase shaft inside (manual) turns are way too loose or tight - replace Tcase.

Motor Failure main cause - Electrical component exposed below the car, and love for pressure wash!! 2nd Main cause - not used frequently. It has to be operated once or twice a month if possible. Just move the car in 2H-4H-2H for 2-3 meters inside your car park or office park. Both forward and reverse.

Tcase Failure main case - Ignoring the oil change. Owner/Mechanic - "I/You only drive in 2wd, I/You dont need to change the Tcase ATF"... Which constantly is under 2WD torque and heating up the lube inside it.

Tcase (in India) 2nd failure reason - No secondary oil cooler for transmission oil. It is a self contained lube system with only the under-body ambient air flow for cooling.

Wheel Sensor/ECM failure - Ignorance of mechanic handling the wheel sensor, limited Part life, and water seeping into bulk head due to shoddy windshield change, or AC evap drain hose block causing water and condensation to seep into nearby components.

Last edited by svsantosh : 31st January 2022 at 12:16.
svsantosh is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 12:40   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praj28 View Post
Problem: While turning on the ignition, 4H and L lights come one temporarily and goes. But the system doesn't engage while shifting into 4H or L.
Hi Just thought of updating this thread:
Last weekend i got my 4x4 working ( made it work for the first time after its purchase in the last 2 years so all excited )
But i got the electrical mechanism replaced with a physical gear knob for shifting and a pulley fixed under the vehicle for shifting Between 4H, 4L and 2H. So the update is that it works successfully in all the 3modes. I got this done with a local 4X4 expert in Kerala who is a mechanical engineer and has his own garage. I liked the concept and have seen 3 other folks with a 4x4 dicor replacing their unit into this manual shift and is a success!
But today I'm having a new issue. While taking a U turn or i should say when i rotate my steering completely to the left or right, my rear wheels are locking ( looks like the 4H) mode is not getting released properly) and when its released, i hear a noise from the wheels while it is in motion.. Does anyone know what could be the issue?
Taking this back to the same 4X4 mechanic where I got this done is not a quick/ easy option as it is 100 plus Km away. Any suggestions would help!
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari: Unable to engage 4x4-img20221015203222.jpg  

Tata Safari: Unable to engage 4x4-img20221015203217.jpg  

Tata Safari: Unable to engage 4x4-img20221015203140.jpg  

Praj28 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 14:03   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But today I'm having a new issue. While taking a U turn or i should say when i rotate my steering completely to the left or right, my rear wheels are locking ( looks like the 4H) mode is not getting released properly) and when its released, i hear a noise from the wheels while it is in motion.. Does anyone know what could be the issue?...
Safari Dicor 4x4 does not have rear diff lock but only LSD, which might be engaging due to slip between wheel, during turns. This should engage only during hard turn and not, say, at roundabouts.

When was the last time you changed the rear diff oil and when you did, hope you used the right grade or added the additive needed for LSD diff's.
HappyWheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 14:05   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Taking this back to the same 4X4 mechanic where I got this done is not a quick/ easy option as it is 100 plus Km away. Any suggestions would help!
You can surely consult him over a call/video?
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 21:22   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
When was the last time you changed the rear diff oil and when you did, hope you used the right grade or added the additive needed for LSD diff's.
Hi! I get my Safari serviced regularly in TASS. But I don't think they would have changed the rear diff oil, as I have not been able to use the 4x4 since I bought the vehicle 2 years ago and it was never fixed. TASS technicians admitted that they don't have the expertise to fix or find what the issue was. Also it was not my priority too. Finally when i got this option I converted to manual mode. I will anyways take it to the service centre and try changing the rear diff oil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
You can surely consult him over a call/video?
Yes, we are in touch. His advice was to take it to the nearest service centre and get it checked, as it was not in use for 2 plus years. Anyways will take it to the service centre next week and will also follow the advice from Happy Wheels .

Last edited by aah78 : 18th October 2022 at 23:22. Reason: Typos fixed. Posts merged. Please use QUOTE+/MULTi-QUOTE. Quote trimmed.
Praj28 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2023, 21:03   #25

Quote:
Yes, we are in touch. His advice was to take it to the nearest service centre and get it checked, as it was not in use for 2 plus years. Anyways will take it to the service centre next week and will also follow the advice from Happy Wheels .
Hello Praj28,

Happy new year.
Could you please let us know how has been your experience of converting 4x4 system into a mechanical shifting mechanism. How reliable is the system for normal use case?
I am looking for the same modification to be done on my Safari too. Thank you.

Best regards,
Shrix458
Shrix458 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2023, 08:55   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But today I'm having a new issue. While taking a U turn or i should say when i rotate my steering completely to the left or right, my rear wheels are locking ( looks like the 4H) mode is not getting released properly) and when its released, i hear a noise from the wheels while it is in motion.. Does anyone know what could be the issue?
You are exhibiting classical signs of a drive train windup.

What did your mechanic say finally?
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2023, 14:06   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrix458 View Post
Hello Praj28,

Happy new year.
Could you please let us know how has been your experience of converting 4x4 system into a mechanical shifting mechanism. How reliable is the system for normal use case?

Best regards,
Shrix458
Hi Shrix458, Happy New year!
It's pretty reliable i should say. Though It's a little hard ( need to use a little exta power) to shift between 2H and 4H and 4L, it does engage when we need it to function unlike the electronic module, which was highly unreliable.
Go for it would be my suggestion, if you frequently have issues with the electric.
Praj28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2023, 14:14   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post

It's fixed now. Have not been having issues, since they cleaned it up. Technicians did mention that as it was not being used for a long time it's having trouble. I have been using it for more than a month now after the service and have no issues.
Old 3rd April 2023, 05:33   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrix458 View Post
Hello Praj28,

Happy new year.

Best regards,
Shrix458
Hello Shrix458,
My experience after shifting to a mechanical system has been good. It's now reliable and can be engaged when I need it, unlike the other I strongly recommend this and thanks to Sajith ( the expert who did the mechanicals) for helping in getting this done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post

After servicing the 4x4, ( oil change and clean up), never had this issue again. I'm just following the usual advice. That's is after shifting to 4L, When we want to come back to 2H, just ensuring to follow this.
1. Engage 2H
2. Drive 20 meters to the front, and do the same on reverse gear.
Now your all good, 4L is released, back to 2H and start driving!

Last edited by khan_sultan : 3rd April 2023 at 07:26. Reason: back to back posts
Old 1st January 2024, 13:42   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Shrix458,
My experience after shifting to a mechanical system has been good. It's now reliable and can be engaged when I need it, unlike the other I strongly recommend this and thanks to Sajith ( the expert who did the mechanicals) for helping in getting this done...
Hello Praj,

Can you share the details of this mechanic, Sajith?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks