Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2015, 21:05   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Thar DI: Proposed Buildout

I have been thinking about buying a Thar Di and modifying it. 4x4addict has inspired me to greatness! Thar Di 4x4 now comes with power steering as standard. This makes it much more desirable to me. What may stop me before I really get started is this. Somebody mentioned in this forum that the Di now has an ECU. Did it have one before? Does this ECU, if there is one, now prevent crown gear, tyre size changes? I will want to put 4:88s or even 5:38s into it. The idea is to climb mountains easily up here in vertical-land (Himalayas) where you rarely exceed 70kph unless you are falling off a cliff. Getting low end power at the expense of dogging it on Himachal's advanced super highways (chortle, chortle) is just peachy with me. If you know that there is now an ECU that prevents this crown gear/tyre mod, please tell me.

That being said, below is my potential build out. Comments by experts are most welcome. Please give your price on stuff if you think I am in need of correction. This first one, Diffs/axles is a biggy, another potential show stopper.

----------------------------------------------------------------rupees
Differentials and 57” – 53” axles___________________40000
Heater / ac ___________________________________ 40000
Hardtop (half-cap) ______________________________ 40000
tyres (4) 235/70/r16__________________________ 40000
Seats ________________________________________20000
Paint _________________________________________ 24000
(white not good here in
snow country ..orange maybe. Not baby poo
Bayer Cream)

Lights & electricals ____________________________12000
extra lights front and rear

Rack for gear and fuel jerry cans,____________________10000
from end of half cap
to the rear bumper.
Will also hold spare
tyre high up..traction
boards, pick and
shovel (recovery units 1 and 2)

Locking steel boxe(s) behind front seats______9000
bumpers_______________________________8000
headlight guards_________________________3000
insect shield (radiator)____________________ 3000
gages (voltmeter/water temp back lit)_____ 6000
lambda hubs____________________________4500
big radiator or electric fan________________ 7000

Total about 300,000 (3 lakh)

I may just chuck this whole idea and buy a Brezza.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 7th October 2015 at 21:13.
DirtyDan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th October 2015, 22:34   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Mahindra Thar DI: Proposed Buildout

Hey Dirty Dan,
The idea of introducing PS standard in a THAR Di came from the fact that I saw many conversions happening in real world. PS installation is a speciallized job and thats why its there from factory. New Thar Di also features better seats from outgoing CRDe which are far more comfortable and yes they move! Body reinforcement changes that were applicable to Thar CRde have now been carried forward to Di as well. So, now you have a hardy machine that can go to the end of the world and come back without hassle.

The after market upgrades that you listed make lot of sense. Invest in wider axles only if you think its a must. Else just upgrade rims and tyres. You will save lot of money. Invest in a good A/C and heater. Axle ratio change is welcome in hills. Rest of the upgrades are ok.

The only additon I would suggest is to install longer shackles from CRDe (Rear) for better travel both front & rear. Else Di specially rear would break your back. Personally I would like to have much softer ride. For load applications the current set up is just perfect.
vinod_nookala is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 10:36   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
I have been thinking about buying a Thar Di and modifying it. 4x4addict has inspired me to greatness! Thar Di 4x4 now comes with power steering as standard. This makes it much more desirable to me. What may stop me before I really get started is this. Somebody mentioned in this forum that the Di now has an ECU. Did it have one before? Does this ECU, if there is one, now prevent crown gear, tyre size changes?
Dan, it was me who had indicated in the "blanking out the EGR valve thread" that the new DIs come with an EGR ECU, so i suppose its functionality will be restricted to EGR alone.

I changed my axle ratios to 4.3 (43/10) with OE crown and pinion. the drive is just perfect, now need to sort out the 57" front axle and PS (i missed the PS model by less than a month!) 57" axle will also call for the rear axle change, as 57" in front and 51" in the rear will be one odd setup.
sugathan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 12:15   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Somebody mentioned in this forum that the Di now has an ECU. Did it have one before?
Yeah, like Sugathan has mentioned, I believe this ECU controls the EGR.

Quote:
If you know that there is now an ECU that prevents this crown gear/tyre mod, please tell me.
These are purely mechanical mods. I don't think ECU has to do anything with it, except may be something related to the speedo reading change.

Quote:
Differentials and 57” – 53” axles
Why do you need wider axles? More turning radius? The Di, anyhow has PS, so, you neednt do a rolling turn.
Quote:
big radiator or electric fan
I dont think a brand new Di Turbo engine will heat up, even if you are in 1st low, and hauling loads.

That said, dont you have an Invader with wider axles and stuff? Or is it because it doesn't have a PS, you are thinking of the Di? Instead of spending and maintaining one more Mahindra vehicle, why don't you soup up the Invader with the above mods?
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 14:12   #5
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar DI: Proposed Buildout

What else is new in the DI. Colour still only white? Dashboard too old or new one like in crde? Please list all the new changes, thank you.

Contemplating between crde and DI. Crde price shot up again by 10k :(

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 9th October 2015 at 15:18. Reason: Removing unwanted spacing.
Old 8th October 2015, 17:26   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheep007 View Post
What else is new in the DI. Colour still only white? Dashboard too old or new one like in crde? Please list all the new changes, thank you.

Contemplating between crde and DI. Crde price shot up again by 10k :(
I own a CRDe. If your usage is rough, e.g. agricultural or off-roading then the rugged Di is the choice. If you need highway cruising then the CRDe can give you some of that and some off road capability. But it's not an SUV by any means. It is adequate off road but the intricate front suspension is perhaps fragile and a high maintenance item for long term ownership. It handles (steers) beautifully for a vehicle of its proportions. Its motor is good at mid-range speeds but not fast off the line or going up steep hills. The Di can be modified but you won't like it on longer hwy drives unless you are a masochist.

It depends on your usage and your wallet. I have not been happy with my CRDe. Lots of problems. Others are in love with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post

1.) Why do you need wider axles? More turning radius?

2.) I dont think a brand new Di Turbo engine will heat up, even if you are in 1st low, and hauling loads.

3.)That said, dont you have an Invader with wider axles and stuff? Or is it because it doesn't have a PS, you are thinking of the Di? Instead of spending and maintaining one more Mahindra vehicle, why don't you soup up the Invader with the above mods?
1.) Yeah, that's it. The narrow mountain roads here and up to Leh and beyond have sheer drops and I really want the PS and the turning radius. It's important up here if you have to turn around on a mountain road and you have not filed a flight plan. Slides happen frequently, vehicles break down in front of you, bridges disappear, the road gets blocked. You often have to turn around on dangerous narrow roads. Can be VERY nasty.

2.) Delivery pickups with the MDI3200tc ply the steep roads here with heavy loads and DO NOT overheat. But my Invader, a good runner, runs hot in the hills (if the OE gage is correct) and others on this site have reported the same. I don't know if I have the same radiator that these trucks have. Also, the cooling system at high altitude gets taxed much more than down below, as you know. I have replaced my water pump. I am going to have somebody steam clean the radiator and we shall see.

3.) May keep my Invader as backup or I may donate it to a local mountain hospital. Not sure yet what will be it's fate. I am also going to have a long look at the new Maruti Brezza when it launches. At some point I will sell my Thar CRDe. Or just keep it in the driveway and throw rocks at it.

3.8265) I want a bullet proof vehicle, ideally. I am willing to spend the $$$ to get it that way. Breaking down in the deep Himalayas is NOT an option. Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 9th October 2015 at 15:19. Reason: Quoted post edited.
DirtyDan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 18:31   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
3.8265) I want a bullet proof vehicle, ideally. I am willing to spend the $$$ to get it that way.
Buy a Thar Di. If possible, get rid of the electronics & keep a full spanner kit in the vehicle.
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 20:26   #8
BHPian

Quote:
r just keep it in the driveway and throw rocks at it.
Can you please park it in my driveway (down south in Coorg) and throw the rocks from the mountains, I heard that is a sport these days

Why don't you convert the CRDe to full floating axles and get an upgrade to the existing ECU for more low end torque.. There are quite a few conversations by some members, I suppose those would be cheaper than picking up up a Di and getting all the bucket listed items on it!

I suggest you get a Winch added to the list of your's, might be needed to pull yourself up.. Just kidding!
Twinn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 20:53   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
The only additon I would suggest is to install longer shackles from CRDe (Rear) for better travel both front & rear. Else Di specially rear would break your back. Personally I would like to have much softer ride. For load applications the current set up is just perfect.
Dear Vinod,
I would want to try this in my thar-di. Did you mean that the crde's rear shackles to be used in thar-di for both front and rear?
Old 9th October 2015, 11:21   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugathan View Post
Did you mean that the crde's rear shackles to be used in thar-di for both front and rear?
Yes, he meant that.
You can also use, Bolero 2WD rear shackles in front and rear to increase height, I am using the same in my Bolero 4wd.

Shubhendra
Shubhendra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2015, 13:41   #11
Senior - BHPian

At the risk of getting stoned, my 2 cents.

@DirtyDan: Why not buy a brand new Gypsy and do a power steering conversion, along with the other modifications you have planned?

I am not knowledgeable about 4x4s at all, but your point #3.8265 put this thought in my head.

Cheers

PS: You can buy it in Bright Red and spend the 24,000/- on a P/S conversion.

Last edited by Viju : 9th October 2015 at 13:43.
Old 9th October 2015, 14:47   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
Why not buy a brand new Gypsy and do a power steering conversion, along with the other modifications you have planned?
Man wants torque. The petrol Gypsy has very poor low end torque compared to the Mahindra diesels. In fact, the Gypsy 1.0 was a better crawler than the 1.3.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2015, 15:17   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
2.) Delivery pickups with the MDI3200tc ply the steep roads here with heavy loads and DO NOT overheat.
I had the MDI3200 (non-TC) on my MM550 for two years. It never overheated under any condition, not even while running under full AC in very hot weather.

Quote:
I am also going to have a long look at the new Maruti Brezza when it launches
It doesn't have 4WD, why take a long look?
Old 9th October 2015, 15:32   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
You can also use, Bolero 2WD rear shackles in front and rear to increase height.
Could you pl. let me know the length of the bolero 2wd rear shackle? my current ones are 4.25" front and 4.5" rear.
Old 9th October 2015, 16:17   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
New Thar DI also features better seats from outgoing CRDe which are far more comfortable. Body reinforcement changes that were applicable to Thar CRDe have now been carried forward to DI as well. So, now you have a hardy machine that can go to the end of the world and come back without hassle.
Dear Vinod - hahaha, so Nasik part numbers finally got in-warded in Kandivli after 5 years! Enjoy! .

Dear Ken - hello after a long time. Changing over to 4.88:1 or 5.38:1 will not affect the ECU, nor will the ECU disallow it, it will continue to supply its output pretending that the vehicle is still 3.73:1. Fuel efficiency and cruise-ability will get affected, but for your use, it's OK. I am mentioning this after a lot of learning that I got with my "first-hand experiences of so many such changes carried out to a certain black vehicle" between 2009 to 2011. I am sharing with you because you understand!

Dear all - don't monkey around with shackles, you will be "negatively surprised" how much the handling and cornering will become bad!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed