Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2015, 20:10   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: MM550: Issue with steering precision & turning radius

Hi Arka,

Thank you very much for the detailed yet succinct checklist. My answers and further questions below:

1. Ok. Is there supposed to be any compliance in the steering column?

2. No U-joint, it's directly bolted. Steering box is made by Rane. I'm convinced it's the OE worm-&-roller box and also almost convinced to change to the RCBT box (Armada??) which mounts in the same place as this one. Please let me know your comments on the same.

2a. Yes there is about 5-8 degrees worth of play here, as measured at the steering wheel. Even without the benefit of having the factory spec for it, I conclude that this is excessive.

2b. Where is this J clamp located? Is it the tab on the front of the steering box?

3. Yes there is play here as well. We plan to replace the entire Bellcrank per your suggestion.

4. I'm certain these are also out of spec after all these years. However I counted only 6. Are there any self-lubricating sealed tie-rod ends available for this application?

5. Yes it's not my favorite either, the bushings will basically be toast after a few cycles. I have some ideas on how to redo it but it will involve machining new parts. Any ideas on how to redo it with available parts?

6. Ok.

7. Ok.

Sincere thanks,
Ananth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Ananth,

Please check the following

1) Steering Pipe and Bushes in the Cabin

2) Check if the Steering Box has an UJ on the input shaft. Or does the Steering Pipe come through the firewall and bolt to the Steering Box?

2a) Check the Steering Box for Play on the Pitman Arm.

2b) Check if all the steering Box Bolts are tight, check the J Clamp or the J Clamp Replacement Bracket on the chassis.

3) Check the Bell Crank this is usually the culprit since the sector shaft is held by a woodruff key which is inadequate.

Change the bell crank to the Mahindra Major or Army MM550XD type.

4) Check the Tie Rod Ends(Ball and socket joints) 7 in total for the Bell Crank system

5) Check the Steering Damper, the one mounted on this vehicle is very poorly done.

6) Check King Pin Bearing and Kingpin

7) Install the Felt and Rubber Knuckle Kit.

Regards,

Arka

Last edited by ananthkamath : 28th December 2015 at 20:13.
Old 31st December 2015, 16:14   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: MM550: Issue with steering precision & turning radius

As a result of all the input I've received on this thread, we have been able to arrive at a conclusion. My mechanic feels very confident about doing the MRCBT conversion using the Bolero box, since he has done a few before. We've decided to ditch the bellcrank which I'm very happy to get rid of. Thanks all for your help! I'll keep the other thread updated with our progress.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks