Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2017, 23:00   #1
BHPian

Loading a pickup truck's bed

There is an increasing tribe of recreational truckers around now, especially since the V-Cross variant of the D-Max was launched. Proud to consider myself one of this rare breed. Not sure that's a compliment though.

Dealers now have a range of product available to meet this demand, and we will see more custom setups given the flexibility inherent to this format of vehicle. Bricks, household goods, furniture, even pets can be transported easily. I'm mulling a dinghy or kayak for our weekend and extended camping trips. Except that an inflatable is more convenient since I live in Mumbai and all the mansions were taken. Sharing some examples of what's happening in our ASEAN neighbourhood for comparison -

Loading a pickup truck's bed-images-5.jpg
Loading a pickup truck's bed-images-1.jpg
Loading a pickup truck's bed-images.jpg

Just love this one
Loading a pickup truck's bed-images-8.jpg

And these too
Loading a pickup truck's bed-images-11.jpg
Loading a pickup truck's bed-images-4.jpg

Of course, proper stowage and safety are important as also a sound understanding of loading and hauling capacity. Perhaps tow rigs are not too far in the future. Matching the ability to go almost anywhere, with cargo to suit the trip is an overlanders' dream. Seems like it is coming true. I believe our country has superb potential with great driving destinations and some pretty awesome roads now.

Anyone knows what the RTO has to say about all this. Are they prepared, or will they be playing catch up to this emerging segment?
VivOverland is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th October 2017, 11:42   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Loading a pickup truck's bed

One thing for sure - once you buy a pickup truck, everyone in your circle will be calling only you for moving stuff .

Sharing some ideas from Isuzu itself - link:

I think you should buy an ATV before the kayak. Will be so much fun for the entire family:

GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th October 2017, 13:25   #3
Team-BHP Support

Home on wheels:

Loading a pickup truck's bed-azad.jpg

More customization options available at www.azad4x4.com
SmartCat is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 9th October 2017, 13:59   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Home on wheels
Man, this would be the ultimate car for a college kid. All of us had to make do with Padminis & 118NEs that overheated while idling, thus proving to be a distraction when you're - ahem - busy .

The custom pickup you posted would be the ultimate for a pickup!

Related thread - Hanky Panky car

And a video from this thread:

Too bad VivOverland is already married.

Last edited by GTO : 9th October 2017 at 14:00.
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 9th October 2017, 14:54   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Too bad VivOverland is already married.
Sorry GTO, we'll have to wait for a younger reviewer to come along with a post (and their own car). Not that I'm old, just suffering from an MLC

You're right though; the V-Cross does have space for Hanky, Panky and a few friends.
VivOverland is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2017, 15:39   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivOverland View Post
Dealers now have a range of product available to meet this demand, and we will see more custom setups given the flexibility inherent to this format of vehicle.
On the Delhi Chandigarh stretch, I came across a Tata Xenon in black color and a Team-BHP sticker too at the back, it literally was loaded with a lot of stuff and probably had everything equipped on it. They make for brilliant expedition vehicles IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Home on wheels:

Attachment 1683773

More customization options available at www.azad4x4.com
I have seen this particular truck at Ambience mall in Gurgaon back in July, it was there on display. The guy there told me that it's a total expense of around 12 lac on the Isuzu to get this one.

Now, I recall a desi arrangement we did once in an XUV, low cost and more comfortable - just fold down the seats from middle and third row and push in a mattress or a thick quilt. It will serve all the purposes and at a lower cost.

Quote:
Man, this would be the ultimate car for a college kid. All of us had to make do with Padminis & 118NEs that overheated while idling, thus proving to be a distraction when you're - ahem - busy.
GTO got emotional!

Quote:
The custom pickup you posted would be the ultimate for a pickup!

Related thread - Hanky Panky car

And a video from this thread:
That Hanky-Panky car thread is a riot!

Man, you need to take emergency escape part into equation. Since this Isuzu offers no direct access to driver's seat and only option of getting there in case of a hurried escape (trust me, I am 25) is getting out of the vehicle and then get in again, this vehicle can prove to be unsafe. Better will be to get a full size SUV where middle and third rows do fold flat easily, it will give more space, comfort and safety at the same time. Get a 4x4 and go-and-enjoy-anywhere thing is also taken care of.

Spare me guys, my classes ended earlier than usual today And that 12 lac addition to the cost of V Cross doesn't sound like a very good idea to me either. Also I doubt if the canopy will be able to hold on to itself or protect the passengers in case of an overturn or a hard rear hit by a heavy vehicle.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 9th October 2017 at 17:24. Reason: Removing video link
VKumar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th October 2017, 16:53   #7
BHPian

I saw this is another thread - Unusual / funny / heartwarming experiences on the road. I thought this would be relevant here as well : )

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...ml#post4283527 (Unusual / funny / heartwarming experiences on the road)
Old 19th October 2017, 18:46   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And a video from this thread
Now we know why the suspension blocks were not removed on the vRS. Next stop, the Laura.

Regards
Sutripta

Last edited by GTO : 19th October 2017 at 20:04. Reason: Removing video from quoted post
Sutripta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2018, 11:03   #9
BHPian

It's been a bit quiet here! Posting loading pics from a recent trip Goa to Mumbai. Items carried - I quote these to highlight the different packing needs they required -

1. Wooden bed in multiple parts (12 small planks, mattress, 2 side posts, head and foot board)
2. Trolley rated for 300 kgs load.
3. 2 laptop bags
4. 2 cabin bag sized suitcases
5. 2 baskets of assorted stuff
6. Guitar

Stage 1 - collecting the bed

We were staying in the North, and had to pick up the bed from the South. The trolley was extremely useful, and allowed us to carry the bed in 1 sortie as can be seen in the image below. Note the liberal use of bungee cords, which are readily available from any hardware store.

Loading a pickup truck's bed-whatsapp-image-20180502-10.24.46.jpeg

Stage 2 - loading

Transporting wood requires some due diligence. You want to make sure that panels aren't placed side by side, or they will abrade and scar each other badly. Wooden planks jiggle easily, and you certainly wouldn't want to be greeted by sawdust at the end of the journey. Long wooden poles cannot jut out of the left / right of the vehicle, and may only legally extend beyond the tail (so long as they are lit / highlighted with a red flag / cloth).

The first stage of the trip just required a journey of 30 kms, about 90 minutes of driving, across rugged roads. The load would be jarred and tossed side to side.

Loading a pickup truck's bed-whatsapp-image-20180501-19.02.42.jpeg

You can see the liberal use of packing material to 'jam' multiple pieces, also the bedsheets which reduce abrasion of the main head and foot board. An extendable shower curtain road helps keep the whole mass in one place, and bungee cords provide back up to 'tamp' the load down in the truck bed.

The truck needs to have multiple 'tug points' which provide mounts for hooks / rope to attach.

Stage 3 - fully loaded for the 570 kms / 12 hour journey, Goa to Mumbai.

Adding in our long weekend luggage and precious guitar took a few minutes. Decided to place the guitar on top to avoid getting hit in case the load moved within the truck bed. Covered with a cloth to avoid road dust between Patradevi and Gadhinglaj.

Loading a pickup truck's bed-whatsapp-image-20180501-19.02.42-1.jpeg

Worked like a charm!
VivOverland is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2018, 12:10   #10
BHPian

Continuing your topic, this is how I loaded my truck during Pondicherry trip.

Not a clear pic but thats all I have got.
Attached Thumbnails
Loading a pickup truck's bed-img_7352.jpg  

tazmaan is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th May 2018, 09:27   #11
BHPian

This handy guide found on The Art of Manliness helps with some basics, which are easily forgotten. I've discovered a whole new world of appreciation for our transporters in India, who travel across this nation with heavy / dangerous / expensive loads through often harsh conditions.

Loading a pickup truck's bed-loadingpickup42.jpg
VivOverland is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th May 2018, 22:50   #12
BHPian

Oh wow, I wish to own a truck one day, till then I make do with watching these threads and videos on Youtube. Posting one of the videos below from one of my favorite channels where a young couple modified their truck and drove all over Australia living in it.

MaSh
mashmash is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2018, 14:48   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
Posting one of the videos below from one of my favorite channels where a young couple modified their truck and drove all over Australia living in it.
Australia produces some of the best off road TV series. My absolute favourites from YouTube - All4Adventure; 4WD Action

Cheers!

Last edited by Rehaan : 22nd June 2018 at 13:19. Reason: Old post, but removing video from quote :)
VivOverland is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2018, 15:07   #14
BHPian

Was facing the issue of luggage moving around the bed during short trips. Would reach and have to stretch to get my stuff from the other end of the truck bed. After some online research and mental physics, managed this setup -

The product - available on Amazon (make sure you check for what size you need - 54-90 inches is right for the Dmax).

Yes, it is a curtain rod
Loading a pickup truck's bed-71iqxu65ofl._sl1500_.jpg

Here's a close up (easily adjustable for wherever you need it).
Loading a pickup truck's bed-img20180304wa0005.jpg

And, a long shot.
Loading a pickup truck's bed-img20180304wa0004.jpg

This setup is very handy when I have just a few things in the truck. They don't roll / move around, and are easily accessible when I need them. Since I use the Carryboy roller lid, I just keep the lid on setting 1 (1/3rd open) so I don't even need to open it up when needed.

The solution is not perfect. For heavier loads, I recommend using a bracket which is bolted to the bed, or at least some super glue. This is more of a space organizer than a load or tug point.

In case you missed my previous post, here's an image where the setup helps to keep an entire wooden bed in place on a long drive.

Loading a pickup truck's bed-snip.jpg

Hope this helps and happy trucking!
VivOverland is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2018, 16:53   #15
Senior - BHPian

This is some good use of a pickup truck !

Loading a pickup truck's bed-img_20161211_220225.jpg

Another one where we dumped all our luggage in the load bay of a friends D-Max

Loading a pickup truck's bed-img_20161125_133148.jpg
fiat_tarun is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed