Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2018, 13:07   #1

Help needed - Toyota B Engine upgrades

Fellow Jeepers and BHPians,

I'm running a Toyota B Engine on my 1986 Land Rover Defender 90. So far the engine has about 1800km on it. However, I'm in the process of rebuilding the car, I'd like to change or add the following components:

- A Turbocharger (although this engine is a monster, I'd like to make it even more terrifying)

- AC compressor (current compressor, when running, makes odd noises, and produces a burning smell, so I pretty much refrain from using it)

Engine Specifications:
3.0 L inline-four eight-valve OHV diesel engine. Compression ratio is 21:1. Output is 80 hp (60 kW) at 3,600 rpm with 141 lb·ft (191 N·m) of torque at 2,200 rpm.

The car and me are based in Bombay, and I'm looking for any help/guidance with regard to your knowledge of this engine.

Thanks in advance!
kilopapa93 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2018, 14:20   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Help needed - Toyota B Engine upgrades

Hi!
Not an authority on this subject, but from whatever little experience I have of old diesels, I think you are looking at not just a Turbo, but you'll need oil cooler, intercooler, and a exhaust temp gauge.
Look up NA or European forums for old Chevy diesel conversions and you'll get an idea.
I hope some others on the forum have some experience in this.
roy_libran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2018, 14:31   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilopapa93 View Post
- A Turbocharger (although this engine is a monster, I'd like to make it even more terrifying)
Engine Specifications:
3.0 L inline-four eight-valve OHV diesel engine. Compression ratio is 21:1. Output is 80 hp (60 kW) at 3,600 rpm with 141 lb·ft (191 N·m) of torque at 2,200 rpm.
21:1 compression ratio might be a little high if you want to turbo it. Look at turbo (BT) engines in the B engine family to see if you can use parts from BT engines to lower the compression and go turbo.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2018, 17:49   #4

Quote:
I think you are looking at not just a Turbo, but you'll need oil cooler, intercooler, and a exhaust temp gauge.
Definitely sounds like more work than I'm set out to do, I'll see if I can find some workarounds.

Quote:
Look at turbo (BT) engines in the B engine family to see if you can use parts from BT engines to lower the compression and go turbo.
Probably going to scour Opera house for these. Now I've gotta figure out how to make the tachometer work..
Old 7th February 2018, 10:33   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Help needed - Toyota B Engine upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilopapa93 View Post
I'm running a Toyota B Engine on my 1986 Land Rover Defender 90. So far the engine has about 1800km on it. However, I'm in the process of rebuilding the car
Since you are from Mumbai, I would suggest you get in touch with Allan Almeida. He's a 4x4 master, has a workshop in Navi Mumbai and lots of experience with Land Rovers (thread 1 & thread 2). You can also see some of his work on this page.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks