Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2018, 16:39   #1
BHPian

Mahindra Thar - Relocating the 4x4 shifter?

Mods: If this post is in the wrong forum, I request you to kindly move it to where it should belong. This one seemed to be the most relevant place to me. Thank you.

I am a complete novice to this, and I am about to ask what is probably the dumbest question ever; so I beg your patience (after you finish laughing at me )

I wish to buy the 2018 Thar CRDE. However, I have an ergonomics problem - the humongous centre console (or hump or trim) that runs across the middle of the floor between the front seats - the one that houses the shifter levers - this is so wide and tall that I do not have anywhere to comfortably rest my Left foot other than just in front of the driver's seat itself.

This position is very uncomfortable for me and I cannot sustain this position for anything longer than five minutes. In fact it was so uncomfortable that I could not even drive car out of the showroom for my test drive - had to abort the drive and any thoughts of buying the 2018 Thar.

So, I can think of two ways to overcome this:

1. I have seen pictures of old jeeps and MM series and old Thars where that centre hump is either much narrower, or the floor is much flatter. Can this be done in the new Thar (aftermarket of course). This way I can sit with a wider stance, and my Left leg does not need to be pushed towards my Right leg. I believe "manspreading" is a term that explains what I want to be able to do.

2. This is the "dumb" question - can the 4x4 shifter lever be relocated from the Right of the main shifter lever to the Left of the main shifter lever?

Imagine this - in countries where cars are Left-hand drive, the 4x4 lever is on the side away from there driver's leg and leaves the leg free to move around. In Right-hand-drive countries that lever fouls up the driver's Left foot.

Please, pushing the driver's seat back is, unfortunately not a workable solution because I am short; and it is not the "stretching" that's my issue, it's the "spreading". To explain further, I would like to keep my Left foot on the floor next to the clutch pedal (or where a dead-pedal might normally be found). What happens in my case is, if I try and wedge my foot next to the clutch pedal, I am unable to do so because the 4x4 lever prevents me from doing so; and also that hump.

Once again, I know this is probably the most ridiculous question that has ever been posted, but please do indulge me.

Thanks and cheers

Last edited by tilt : 22nd May 2018 at 16:51.
Old 22nd May 2018, 16:49   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Mahindra Thar - Relocating the 4x4 shifter?

Easier thing to do is just remove that central tunnel console and see if that frees up space for you to "spread". One of my friend's Thar has this set up and it actually works. You will lose the storage pods and the levers would look little raw sitting there.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2018, 16:55   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Easier thing to do is just remove that central tunnel console and see if that frees up space for you to "spread". One of my friend's Thar has this set up and it actually works. You will lose the storage pods and the levers would look little raw sitting there.
Yes, that is exactly what I want to have done. I do not mind having a bare floor, as long as it's a flat floor! Once that is done, maybe I can find some way to fashion a 4x4 lever that's kind of bent away from my leg (and is longer than that stubby one that's there now).

My fear is that it might not be a bare floor underneath, it might be a big hole through which I can see the road and have things fall into said hole and out of the car

Edited to add: Also, would it be possible for you to have your friend take a picture of this setup and post it here, or PM it to me please?

Cheers

Last edited by tilt : 22nd May 2018 at 16:57.
Old 22nd May 2018, 17:28   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Edited to add: Also, would it be possible for you to have your friend take a picture of this setup and post it here, or PM it to me please?

Cheers
All the answers are within the forum have a look at this

Mahindra Thar - Relocating the 4x4 shifter?-front-rubbesr-mats.jpg

Mahindra Thar - Relocating the 4x4 shifter?-gear-lever-boot.jpg

Mahindra Thar - Relocating the 4x4 shifter?-rubber-mats.jpg

Hope this helps, there is a slight hump for the central tunnel which is part of the body design and there is no easy solution to that since it would require major mechanical work to flatten that area. But if you are ok with the OE floor, this is an easy way to go.
Jaggu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2018, 17:35   #5
BHPian

Thank you. This looks quite workable. Did your friend get this done somewhere locally?

I wonder whether there is enough of a gap between the two levers for my leg to slide through!

I can work with the remaining slight hump.

Cheers
Old 22nd May 2018, 18:27   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Thank you. This looks quite workable. Did your friend get this done somewhere locally?
This is not my friends car but our fellow members Thar pics (check the link). The central tunnel console can be removed by any good accessory shop or at your dealership, it is not a big deal at all. Do note the earlier Thar's never came with this contraption.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2018, 11:08   #7
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar - Relocating the 4x4 shifter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
This is not my friends car but our fellow members Thar pics (check the link). *SNIP*.
Oops, my apologies; I never even noticed there was a link! Thank you.

Cheers
tilt is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks