Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2015, 09:23   #1591
BHPian

re: The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread

For Thar cRDE, what is the general consensus for AT tyres for mixture of tarmac (80%) and 20% (bad roads) in stock size 235 70/R16

We have seen Michelin MTX AT2 and Continental Cross-contacts. I was discussing with Blackpearl and he suggested staying off Yokohoma Geolanders. Any other options one should be looking at?

Alloys will be Neo Fighter or some Plati model (to be decided later). Anything to specifically look for with regards to PCDs etc when choosing the Alloys?

Thanks in advance.
johy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2015, 10:54   #1592
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
We have seen Michelin MTX AT2 and Continental Cross-contacts.
I have used Michelin LTX AT2 (I am not sure whether there is any MTX) and now using Continental Cross-contact AT. Both tyres are of size 235/70/16.
Would suggest you to go for Cross Contacts over Michelins.

Shubhendra
Shubhendra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2015, 11:31   #1593
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
I have used Michelin LTX AT2 (I am not sure whether there is any MTX) and now using Continental Cross-contact AT. Both tyres are of size 235/70/16.
Would suggest you to go for Cross Contacts over Michelins.

Shubhendra
Thanks. I meant LTX AT2..was a typo. How is the comfort on normal highway tarmac on the Continental Cross-contact ATs?
Old 6th October 2015, 17:50   #1594
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
How is the comfort on normal highway tarmac on the Continental Cross-contact ATs?
More noise than Michelin but it has stronger side walls and aggressive pattern which is better in offroading scenario.
My friend is using the same tyre in Scorpio and he finds ride minutely harsher with Continental.
Grip in high speed is good and tested at quite crazy speeds in scorpio.

Shubhendra
Shubhendra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2015, 15:36   #1595
BHPian

Hi all,

I am looking for Continental Crosscontacts 275/75 R17 AT/Rs for my Fortuner. Does anybody here know where can I get them in Bangalore? [Are they available at all?]

The next choice will be Pirelli Scorpion AT/R.

Any feed back on these two tires will be more than welcome.

Regards,
Ramagiri
Old 16th December 2015, 03:26   #1596
BANNED

Hi I am planning to use 255/85R16 mt tires on my thar crde.
1. Will I need a bodylift
2. Do I need to do changes to the gear ratios.
3. Does anybody know a competent person who can do the gear ratio change if needed.
Regards
Old 16th December 2015, 11:50   #1597
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
Hi all,

I am looking for Continental Crosscontacts 275/75 R17 AT/Rs for my Fortuner. Does anybody here know where can I get them in Bangalore? [Are they available at all?]

The next choice will be Pirelli Scorpion AT/R.

Any feed back on these two tires will be more than welcome.

Regards,
Ramagiri
I think 265/65R17 is the stock size available in Conti Cross Contact. The ATs are pretty good. We've a couple of vehicles in our group with that tyre. Can try www.changemytyre.com or contact Pavan Anand on Fb. Goes by the name Jeep Tyres India. He should be able to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drlmtukkar View Post
Hi I am planning to use 255/85R16 mt tires on my thar crde.
1. Will I need a bodylift
2. Do I need to do changes to the gear ratios.
3. Does anybody know a competent person who can do the gear ratio change if needed.
Regards
Interesting size. Where do you get it? Price/brand? Those tyres will definitely require a lift-job.
I doubt if crown-pinion ratios (not gear ratios) can be changed for the Thar for lack of options. Not heard folks do that so far.
Old 16th December 2015, 12:05   #1598
BHPian

Thanks for the message. Yes, I got my 265/65/ ATR CrossContis. BUT, only after I wrote to Continental Germany and waited for 2.5 months, and they shipped just 5 pieces from SA! Seems, manufacturing of them is stopped and they are about to re-start in India.
Old 16th December 2015, 14:48   #1599
BANNED

They r available on jeeptyres.com and a friend of mine a tyrewala has arranged maxxis bighorns inthis size for me but...... they cost 17k a piece but still I plan to go for them once I get some proper job info on the forum
Old 16th December 2015, 19:49   #1600

I plan to upsize the tyre of my Bolero DI 4x4 to Maxxis Bighorn 31x10.5R15. I have lifted the vehicle through leaf cambering and shackle lift and gained around 3 inches lift. I am looking to increase the track of the vehicle by going in for offroad negative offset steel rims. What is the ideal wheel for the above mentioned tyre? Should I use 8J rims with negative offset or can I use 10.5J rims with negative offset? Can I use a 10.5J negative offset steel rim on Bolero DI 4x4 without it fouling with the suspension or insides of the wheel well?
Old 16th December 2015, 22:41   #1601
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgm View Post
Can I use a 10.5J negative offset steel rim on Bolero DI 4x4 without it fouling with the suspension or insides of the wheel well?
I would suggest use an 8J rim for a 10.5 inch wide tyre. If you go for wider rims, the problem is, during offroading, instead of tyre sidewall nudging on stuff, it'll be the rim. Also, one more issue is you cannot lower the pressure beyond 20psi safely. The rims will leak air beyond that point.
Also, there is a possibility of muck getting stuck between the rim and tyre with wider than recommended rims.

The recommended rim width for 10.5 inch tyres are 8J.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2015, 09:35   #1602
Senior - BHPian

My skinny tyred Xenon XT needs a tyre upgrade.

The OE alloy is 5.5J and has a 205 R16 tyre. Can I safely upsize to a 235/70 on the same alloy?

Also, I've found quite conflicting reviews of the Yoko Geolander AT. My only concern is if the tyre can handle the Ladakh circuit. If yes, then I'll opt for those.

Can someone help me out here?
Old 19th April 2016, 14:56   #1603
BHPian

I need help in finding 5 pieces of Sand & Highway pattern 7.5-16 tyres. Preferably Apollo bullets or ATF as the MRFs are out of production. There is one dealer for ATF in Pune who has been promising me to ship the tyres the very next day when ever i call. This has been happening for the last 1 week.

Regards,
Krishna.
Old 22nd May 2016, 16:10   #1604
BHPian

Need recommendation for MG410W tyres. The vehicle thread is here.

Currently running Michelin 4X4 AT

Usage: 90% bad roading 10% highway. 90% himalayas. 20% ice and snow < 6 inches.

I love the Michelins this MG410 is shod with, and I am willing to stick with the brand. Unfortunately there isn't much choice in the 215-75-15 category. I don't plan to upgrade to 235 because they fowl with the suspension. Any takers on Latitude Cross? or any other suggestions are welcome.

Thank you.

P.S. I don't offroad, just a lot of bad-roading in J&K and Himachal. People who live in remote mountains know what i mean. Here's looking at you @ringoism @DirtyDan

Last edited by antihero : 22nd May 2016 at 16:13.
Old 22nd May 2016, 17:19   #1605
Senior - BHPian

Yokohama Geolandars AT; available in the 215 size. Excellent tyre for Gypsy. But if you can find the same Michelins you are using, those ought to be just as good; no idea about the mixed pattern Cross.

Last edited by Sawyer : 22nd May 2016 at 17:22.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks