Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2009, 11:21   #316
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Hey Gotzuk (Vaibhav),
Could you kindly share your experience with Goodrich?
I've seen it on your super cool red gypsy .
Would be very helpful for all of us here.
Cheers,
Deepak
Deepak,

I have been running on BFG's for about 18 months now and have covered 33000 kms so far. During the last alignment visit to the tyre shop, I got the tread depth measured and found it was down by about 40%, which means, theoretically, that the tyres should run for another 40000 kms safely.
My driving pattern is 30% city, 30% highway and 40% mountains.

The grips levels are very good in snow and slushy road conditions, though grip on wet tarmac is not something to write home about. I would like to add though, that these tyres give ample warning before locking up under heavy braking and I like that safety margin. As far as heavy mud is concerned, I am yet to see an AT tyre that really is head and shoulders above the rest. I didn't have much driving time in sand with these tyres and am looking forward to seeing their performance during the Desert Storm.
During the various OTR's that I have managed to attend the tyres have performed really well apart from the mud/clay pond beds where all other tyres also struggle to get a footing.

In my group of friends we have Gypsy's with Yokohama Geolandars, Bridgestone Dueler Revo, Michelin LTX AT and of course, BFGoodrich.
The Revo's were very good on grip and comfort but wore out very quickly. The same gypsy is now shod with BFG's. Amongst the Geolandars and the BFG's, the BFG's have the edge off road and the Geolandars on the tarmac. Overall, both are almost equally matched. The BFG though, gets the brownie points for its visual appeal thanks to the aggressive tread pattern. The Michelin rocks overall, excellent ride, handing, braking and grip but the high price waters down the excitement quite a bit.

If somebody is looking for tyres only for offroad use, the best choice would be an M/T. As an everyday multipurpose tyre, I would say both Geolandars and BFG All Terrain TA are excellent choices and considering the high tread life, excellent value for money, definitely a lot better than Sand Grips with their short life spans, high noise and poor road grip.

Hope this helps.
Cheers.

Last edited by gotzuk : 11th February 2009 at 11:24.
Old 11th February 2009, 12:41   #317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotzuk View Post
we have Gypsy's with Yokohama Geolandars, Bridgestone Dueler Revo, Michelin LTX AT and of course, BFGoodrich.
The Revo's were very good on grip and comfort but wore out very quickly. The same gypsy is now shod with BFG's. Amongst the Geolandars and the BFG's, the BFG's have the edge off road and the Geolandars on the tarmac. Overall, both are almost equally matched. The BFG though, gets the brownie points for its visual appeal thanks to the aggressive tread pattern. The Michelin rocks overall, excellent ride, handing, braking and grip but the high price waters down the excitement quite a bit.

If somebody is looking for tyres only for offroad use, the best choice would be an M/T. As an everyday multipurpose tyre, I would say both Geolandars and BFG All Terrain TA are excellent choices and considering the high tread life, excellent value for money, definitely a lot better than Sand Grips with their short life spans, high noise and poor road grip.

Hi, thats a nice comparo - Thanks. Now why would you not consider Michelin LT-X ? Is it the price alone? or some other factor that overrides that?

Cheers
Old 11th February 2009, 16:30   #318
BHPian

Quote:
Deepak,

In my group of friends we have Gypsy's with Yokohama Geolandars, Bridgestone Dueler Revo, Michelin LTX AT and of course, BFGoodrich.

Hope this helps.
Cheers.

Wow ,

This is excellent comparison GOTZUK. When you say Yokos have edge over BFGs on tarmac - what exactly you mean?

Mechellin excells on all these conditions you mentioned? Anybody who is using Michellin for some time can just put light like GOTZUK?

And also Anybody has a different view on this friends?

Tarkesh
Old 11th February 2009, 17:10   #319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_3007 View Post
...When you say Yokos have edge over BFGs on tarmac - what exactly you mean?
I guess less noise on road.
Quote:
....Anybody who is using Michellin for some time can just put light like GOTZUK?
GTO has already shared his experience with Michelin in this thread.
-regards,
Old 11th February 2009, 17:48   #320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
I guess less noise on road.

Ok. Yokos are silent then, I guess.

GTO has already shared his experience with Michelin in this thread.
-regards,
OOps Sorry !!GTO has already shared.

Tarkesh
Old 11th February 2009, 17:53   #321
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice, so its a spin off between the Geo's and the BFG's. BFG's have a more aggressive tread pattern? I always thought the Yoko's were more aggressive. Let me try and visit a couple of tyre shops this week end and see them face to face. I have never shopped for or used any of these tyres so I am the last one to talk.
Old 11th February 2009, 19:27   #322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Vaibhav,
Thank you very much for your detailed post. It is very helpful for all of them who are looking for good tyres for their offroaders. When headers was looking for this info, i remembered that you have BFGs on your Gypsy. And yes, as only a window shopper till now, i have seen the tread pattern on both BFGs and Yokos and i personally found BFGs more aggressive and mean looking than the Yokos.
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 12th February 2009, 07:52   #323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
When headers was looking for this info, i remembered that you have BFGs on your Gypsy.
I use Michelin LT-X 235/75 R15 on my G-King and no complaints so far. Did the Palar Challenge last year and came up triumphs

The tyre is better than the Pirelli Scorpion 215/75 r15 that was previously used by me.
Old 12th February 2009, 08:59   #324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Nice, so its a spin off between the Geo's and the BFG's. BFG's have a more aggressive tread pattern? I always thought the Yoko's were more aggressive. Let me try and visit a couple of tyre shops this week end and see them face to face.
"Aggressive" meaning big lugs is one factor. Sipes are the small little cuts or edges you see in the lugs. They give you more grippy edges on many surfaces hence better traction. In other countries tyre shops have special machines that cut extra sipes into new tyres in a balanced way in order to give more traction. It makes quite a difference in performance and I say this to you with first hand experience on several sets of tyres. So, look for sipes besides big lugs.

As stated by others, but it bears repeating, in the deep mud, AT tyres and a lot of mudders as well, just will load up and be ineffective. But I have had several sets of BFGoodrich ATs and they were no worse than others and not so bad.

Michelin is just a superb tyre. If you can afford it, get it. A lot of Michelin owners do not bother cutting sipes into Michelins. They already have a lot of sipes right out of the oven.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 12th February 2009 at 09:01.
Old 12th February 2009, 11:58   #325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Hi, thats a nice comparo - Thanks. Now why would you not consider Michelin LT-X ? Is it the price alone? or some other factor that overrides that?

Cheers
Headers,
Yes, only the high price is a bit of a deterrent. But if money is no issue then Michelin is the tyre to buy, atleast for the gypsy. When I bought the BFG's, I had the option to put LTX AT, but I liked the BFG's tread better and the lower price vis a vis the Michelin cemented the decision to buy BFG and I am happy with the choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_3007 View Post
When you say Yokos have edge over BFGs on tarmac - what exactly you mean?

Tarkesh
Tarkesh,
The Geolandars provide more grip on tarmac than BFG and generate slightly less road noise.

Cheers
Old 12th February 2009, 13:25   #326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Michelin is the tyre to buy, atleast for the gypsy. When I bought the BFG's, I had the option to put LTX AT, but I liked the BFG's tread better and the lower price vis a vis the Michelin cemented the decision to buy BFG and I am happy with the choice.
Hi, There is one guy in our group who has used the BFGs and then to Michelins on his Gypsy King. He claims the BFG to be superior in most aspects. BUT I believe that one's driving style is of importance here to decide on BFGs to be better!

The stuff I've heard is that BFG is a good tyre but very SOFT and wears out fast.

Anyways, am glad that the Michelins have a good rating
Old 12th February 2009, 23:46   #327
Distinguished - BHPian

I have heard just the opposite! Michelin softest, yokos softer, bfg not so soft. Thus i guess grip levels and tyre life also increase and decrease in that order.

Thanks dan. Am not looking for offroader tyres for my jeep, have the ndms for them. Looking for something to go on a 2wd bolero to bolster the car and plant it at the corners. Any advice there? I hope i am not in the wrong thread!
Old 13th February 2009, 00:33   #328
Team-BHP Support

This thread is for offroad rims/tyres. For general tyre queries, we have an entire section.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...wheel-section/
Old 14th February 2009, 19:52   #329
BHPian

Hello guys,

Wanted to know what will happen if I put M/T tyres on my jeep. What will happen to the drive comfort on the roads. i am getting MT tyres on my jeep and i am worried about the drive comfort on Roads.

Can you please reply to this ASAP. I have to take a decision and put tyres in my JEEP tommorrow.

Regards
Babu
Old 14th February 2009, 19:56   #330
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baburajs View Post
Hello guys,

Wanted to know what will happen if I put M/T tyres on my jeep. What will happen to the drive comfort on the roads. i am getting MT tyres on my jeep and i am worried about the drive comfort on Roads. ...
If these are proper M/T tyres then for sure drive comfort on tarmac will go for a toss. Expect a lot bumpy ride compared to A/T tyres.

BTW, what's the current tyres you got?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks