Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2010, 15:14   #706
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonziibuddy View Post
Guys,

I have booked a new super white gypsy king, delivery on 7th! (5 days to go)
I am really confused in selecting a tyre on it. To give you brief. I am fitting alloys with silver chrome finish on them 15 x 7 - attached picture
Now i am looking at giving it a clean, premium look. Will be doing around 20-30 % offroading rest will be plain city and highway driving.

I have given myself 2 options
1. BFG AT
2. MICHELIN LATITUDE CROSS

Since i have a white gypsy, i think BFG with white lettering will look good. Problem areas with BFG according to me (as per what i heard) are that the ride quality is not as good as the MICHELIN LATITUDE and since my rims are chrome finished as shown i am worried that they wont match with white lettering. The good part about MICHELIN LATITUDE is that they are good in extreme off roading and will be helpful in my Leh trip.

Now michelin tyre will make less noise on road and ride quality MAY be better, but will the plain black lettering look good on my white gypsy and will they be good on occasional off roading and especially Leh trip ???

Guys please advise as i need to make this decision really fast!

Thanks

Bonzii
Congrats brother!!!!

I think the MICHELIN LATITUDE CROSS looks good for you.
Old 3rd February 2010, 15:57   #707

Need Advice! - Little correction in my previous Post. Added interesting Picture!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
Congrats brother!!!!

I think the MICHELIN LATITUDE CROSS looks good for you.
Guys my previous posts i had mentioned wrongly that the MICHELIN LATITUDE IS EXTREMELY GOOD IN OFF ROADING.
Please find below my CORRECTED post!

Guys,

I have booked a new super white gypsy king, delivery on 7th! (5 days to go)
I am really confused in selecting a tyre on it. To give you brief. I am fitting alloys with silver chrome finish on them 15 x 7 - attached picture
Now i am looking at giving it a clean, premium look (Like the one John Abhraham Owns - Picture attached! His is OFF White, Mine is the Superior White). Will be doing around 20-30 % offroading rest will be plain city and highway driving.

I have given myself 2 options
1. BFG AT
2. MICHELIN LATITUDE CROSS

Since i have a white gypsy (unlike John's Off White), i think BFG with white lettering will look good. Problem areas with BFG according to me (as per what i heard) are that the ride quality is not as good as the MICHELIN LATITUDE and since my rims are chrome finished as shown i am worried that they wont match with white lettering. The good part about BF GOODRICH is that they are good in extreme off roading and will be helpful in my Leh trip.

Now michelin tyre will make less noise on road and ride quality MAY be better, but will the plain black lettering look good on my white gypsy and will they be good on occasional off roading and especially Leh trip ???

Guys please advise as i need to make this decision really fast!

Thanks

Bonzii
Attached Thumbnails
The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread-alloys.jpg  

The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread-john-abhraham-gypsy-maruti.jpg  

Old 3rd February 2010, 16:02   #708
Distinguished - BHPian

I would suggest the BFG over Michellin, IF you plan to do rocks/boulders, loose gravel, bad roads. The sidewall protection on BFG is FAR SUPERIOR to any other A/T tyre.

Mich, are good ride/comfort but their sidewall protection is not that great for the kind of abuse you plan..

Go for BFG I would say.
Old 3rd February 2010, 17:11   #709
Senior - BHPian

I second Shahnawaz. I am running on BFGs 215 75 R15 and they are good.
If your usage is only 30% OTR and 70% On Road, why don't you look at Yokohama Geolander A/T?
They are good in both respects with lesser on road tyre noise and definitely better ride quality than BFGs.
They are also available in the same size as BFGs.
Btw, Sawyer has them on his Gypsy, but its 205 75 R15. You could check them and decide.
Cheers for the new KING,
Deepak
Old 3rd February 2010, 17:43   #710

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
I second Shahnawaz. I am running on BFGs 215 75 R15 and they are good.
If your usage is only 30% OTR and 70% On Road, why don't you look at Yokohama Geolander A/T?
They are good in both respects with lesser on road tyre noise and definitely better ride quality than BFGs.
They are also available in the same size as BFGs.
Btw, Sawyer has them on his Gypsy, but its 205 75 R15. You could check them and decide.
Cheers for the new KING,
Deepak
Thanks Deepak,

Your Gypsy really looks wonderful!

You must be doing maximum On-Road travelling like home to office etc.
Does your BFG's give you comfortable ride on the road??

Bonzii
Old 3rd February 2010, 22:41   #711
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Deepak,

Your Gypsy really looks wonderful!

You must be doing maximum On-Road travelling like home to office etc.
Does your BFG's give you comfortable ride on the road??

Bonzii
Hey Bonzii,
Thanks!
Yep, i am using it to travel from home to office. The ride quality is nothing to talk about. It is not even close to comfortable ride. My wife's alto feels like ABSOLUTE LUXURY in comparison. BUT, you'll eventually get used to it and you will start adapting to the Gypsy ways! Atleast, i did and i hope, you will too.
I've heard from several experienced off-roaders about BFG being very hard rubber and hence giving you a harder ride quality. Also, in hard braking situations on road, wheels lock up big time. Not sure, if this is the same with Yokos. I am seriously suggesting you Yokos over BFGs if your usage is more on the road than off it. Also, you must be ok with that subdued tread pattern of Yokos, they are not as bold as BFGs, from a pure looks point of view
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 4th February 2010, 01:04   #712

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Hey Bonzii,
Thanks!
Yep, i am using it to travel from home to office. The ride quality is nothing to talk about. It is not even close to comfortable ride. My wife's alto feels like ABSOLUTE LUXURY in comparison. BUT, you'll eventually get used to it and you will start adapting to the Gypsy ways! Atleast, i did and i hope, you will too.
I've heard from several experienced off-roaders about BFG being very hard rubber and hence giving you a harder ride quality. Also, in hard braking situations on road, wheels lock up big time. Not sure, if this is the same with Yokos. I am seriously suggesting you Yokos over BFGs if your usage is more on the road than off it. Also, you must be ok with that subdued tread pattern of Yokos, they are not as bold as BFGs, from a pure looks point of view
Cheers,
Deepak

Well deepak, I'm all the more confused!
What do you think of michelin instead of BFG or yokos ???
Michelin will have the best on road comfort
What about off road comfort, capability and performance ???
Old 4th February 2010, 07:34   #713
Senior - BHPian

I must say that I am very happy with the Yokos. They worked just as well as the 215 BFGs on another car in an OTR I was on, that had slush, gravel and rocks, and on the road, they are very good indeed for ride, handling and braking. And seeing the very little wear at 5000 kms, I expect them to go a long distance.
Gotzuk advised me to go for the 205 section, and I am glad I took his advice because all I wanted from my rubber was function on and off road. Which is also why I have opted to stick with the OE wheels and not use alloys.
From a looks perspective, I'd say the best option are the 215 BFGs, on OE rims. They make the Gypsy look correctly tyred and suitably mean, but I am sure they add to the steering effort. My personal view is that alloys do not suit the Gypsy. Just an opinion, of course.
The Michelin Latitude cross are probably as good as the Yokos, may even be better. One of the reasons I did not go for them was because they do not come in 205 section. Another is that the hybrid tread pattern looks weird!

Last edited by Sawyer : 4th February 2010 at 07:36.
Old 4th February 2010, 11:58   #714
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Opps.. I need 33"/35" tyres for 15" rim size (Gypsy). It would translate to "33 x 12.5 x 15" as the spec. (33" dia, 12.5 width, 15" rim size) and so on for the 35" one.

ANY brand would do. Has to be MUD Terrain pattern. I am looking for the cheapest/VFM option right now.
Hi Khan_Sultan,

Yokohama Geolandar MT's 33x12.5 R15 are available at the authorized Yoko dealer at Gurgaon. the price quoted was Rs. 12.3K per tire.
Old 5th February 2010, 19:48   #715
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well deepak, I'm all the more confused!
What do you think of michelin instead of BFG or yokos ???
Michelin will have the best on road comfort
What about off road comfort, capability and performance ???
Bonzii, I am sorry for doing that to you.
It is simple, just decide on what is it that you want the most: Better off road manners or better on road manners. Once you decide that, it would be more easy for you to decide.
Michelins are good too, you could check with Rossi on their off-road performance. He has them on his Gypsy.
If not, like i said, buy the best of both worlds, Yokohama Geolanders.
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 6th February 2010, 12:04   #716
Senior - BHPian

My observation is that BFGs are no way a compromise on-road but then I haven't used Michelin yet. BFGs are excellent on rocks, gravel, mud, sluch, hard sand for that matter loose sand and also on road, got extra long life, makes steering extra soft.

There is only one drawback with them that is on loose sand like dunes (and also snow) if you try to deflate the tyre to get more traction then it wont help. Its side walls are vertical so they don't increase the contact surface. On the other hand the side walls work all the time, as the wheel digs in (in any situation) the contact traction increases automatically..

If your major terrains includes dunes offroading or snow majorly then don’t go for BFGs.. Otherwise highly recommended.
Old 6th February 2010, 12:14   #717
Senior - BHPian

Look what I found.
Geolandars on a custom job.
Attached Thumbnails
The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread-image2376.jpg  

The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread-image2377.jpg  

The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread-image2378.jpg  

The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread-image2379.jpg  

Old 15th February 2010, 15:50   #718
Team-BHP Support

The OE tyre size on my CJ340 was F78x15. I get the 15 inch rim part, but what is F78?
Old 15th February 2010, 17:52   #719
Team-BHP Support

@prince_pervez: If iam not mistaken this is in JP Nagar workshop right Is it complete?

BFG for offroad peace of mind and rocks, heard they are not that great in slush.
Yoko geo a VFM all-rounder, though not as tough as BFG.
Old 15th February 2010, 21:17   #720
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The OE tyre size on my CJ340 was F78x15. I get the 15 inch rim part, but what is F78?
Samurai San, the F refers to Fibreglass belted tyres. 78 probably translates to a 240/75 size in metric terms.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks