Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2012, 16:43   #1441
BHPian

re: The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwaschettri View Post

2. Some Goodyear tires

This pic is off the net, maybe from T-BHP only. I cant recollect. Love these tires. These have bigger sipes than JK so shall perform better in wet conditions as well.

I am in town for replacement tires for my 550. I need 7.50-16 AT/MT or equivalent. Kindly pour in suggestions.

vishwas
That's my Jonga in 2011 shod with 7.50x16 Goodyear G90's . they were really hard to source and costed me 6k a piece in 2011.
as already mentioned here, finding inch tires is a real pain.. you're better off switching to 15 inchers and upsizing the tire.

EDIT: I remember Arka (EX670) had a set of 5 Goodyear G90 for sale. you might want to PM him to see if he still has them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
Hi Vishwas,

The 7.50x16 is ~31 inches and the 235/75 R15 is ~ 29 inches so your calculation is right. The Maxxis tyre that Genesis mentions fit perfectly on the Gypsy rims and would be a worthwhile and cost-effective option except for the loss of GC.

Cheers,
Adi
Here are a couple of good comparison pic between 31" Muddies and 7.50 x 16 Goodyear G90 on my Jonga. There's hardly any difference in height (overall diameter) but a massive difference in width. 31" Muddies can go as wide as 285mm which cannot be mounted on stock rims.

Cheers!!

Last edited by GTO : 27th August 2012 at 16:11. Reason: Please re-upload your attachments. They aren't visible
Old 30th August 2012, 23:14   #1442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32_GTR View Post
Here are a couple of good comparison pic between 31" Muddies and 7.50 x 16 Goodyear G90 on my Jonga.
Cheers!!
No pics . Plz repost
Old 31st August 2012, 15:47   #1443
Senior - BHPian

Sounds above like people are kind of recommending a move away from 16" tires, but if not mentioned elsewhere, we should probably remember that early Scorpios used 16" wheels and while there may be very few hard-core offroad tires in modern designs available, there are some dual-purpose tires like the Michelin Latitude (Rs8,100 each in HP) or Bridgestone Dueler in 235/70 (or 75) 16 that would work well enough for conditions that a lot of forum members probably find themselves in. Seems they sell the former in Australia to mixed online reviews.

Re: wheels, if you can find a decent enough lathe / welder wallah, you can actually get your original steel wheels widened to match the tires you want to use...

In my case, my Marshal had 16" Scorpio styled steel wheels - about 6-7" wide. I figured that on account of the snow up here I need all the ground clearance I can get, so didn't want to go to 15's. It has 6x16's right now, but I've seen grippy 7x16's radials for the rear of pickups, etc, which should be pretty affordable when I need new rubber.
Old 31st August 2012, 16:19   #1444
Senior - BHPian

I realize that this all started off as an offroad tire question, but for anyone reading the thread who is more dual-purpose oriented, I don't think the move away from 16" tires is really necessary. There are some dual-purpose tires like the Michelin Latitude (Rs8,100 each in HP) or Bridgestone Dueler in 235/70 (or 75) 16 that would work well enough for conditions that a lot of forum members probably find themselves in. Seems they sell the former in Australia to reasonably favorable online reviews.

Re: wheels, if you can find a decent enough lathe / welder wallah, you can actually get your original steel wheels widened to match the tires you want to use. Gypsy 15" wheels are going to be way too narrow (according to manufacturer's recommendations) for 265-section tires, and if you go by the book, even for the 235's. If you're going to the trouble to widen the wheels, why not just do it on the original Jeep 16's for cases where a basic dual-purpose tire will work.

In my case, my Marshal (more wheel options in that bolt circle) has 16" Scorpio styled steel wheels - about 6-7" wide. I figured that on account of the snow up here in Manali I need all the ground clearance I can get, so didn't want to go down to 15's. It has 6x16 CEAT cross-ply's right now similar to original-fitment Gypsy tires, which only have lugs on the sides and are not too grippy really, but I've seen more aggressive 7x16 radials for the rear of pickups, etc, which should be reasonably affordable when I need new rubber.

If something a little less aggressive than the NDMS tires but more aggressive than the CEAT/Gypsy type is desired, I've seen a 6x16 Apollo design in inch sizes that looks perfect for snow and probably would be good in mud, too. I can try and get the exact name for anyone interested.

Regards,
-Erik
Old 31st August 2012, 16:31   #1445
Senior - BHPian

In my former life, I was a tire-wallah. Really. I realize that this all started off as an offroad tire question, but for anyone reading the thread who is more dual-purpose oriented, I don't think the move away from 16" tires is really necessary. There are some dual-purpose tires like the Michelin Latitude (Rs8,100 each in HP) or Bridgestone Dueler in 235/70 (or 75) 16 that would work well enough for conditions that a lot of forum members probably find themselves in. Seems they sell the former in Australia to reasonably favorable online reviews, and here in Manali most local 4x4 campers, etc, are running the latter.

However, back to the original question, both the stock Jeep wheels and the Gypsy wheels people are recommending are going to be way too narrow (according to manufacturer's recommendations) for 265-section tires, and probably even for the 235's (generally intended to fit on 7" wheels). If you can find a decent enough lathe / welder wallah, you can actually get your original steel wheels widened to match the tires you want to use. But if you're going to the trouble to widen a set wheels, why not just do it on the original Jeep 16's for cases where a basic dual-purpose tire will work.

In my case, the Marshal DI 4x4 (more wheel options in that bolt circle) has been fitted with 16" Scorpio styled steel wheels - about 6-7" wide. I figured that on account of the snow up here in Manali I need all the ground clearance I can get, so didn't want to go down to 15's. It has 6x16 CEAT cross-ply's right now similar to original-fitment Gypsy tires, which only have lugs on the sides and are not too grippy really.

If something a little less aggressive than the NDMS tires but more aggressive than the CEAT/Gypsy type is desired, I've seen an Apollo design in inch sizes that looks perfect for snow and probably would be good in mud, too. I can try and get the exact name for anyone interested. Not the sand/hwy tires.

I wonder, too, if a truck-oriented lug design like the Apollo Milestar could work for tall dual-purpose type tire. Saw it in 7x16 and it looked interesting. Would certainly be rugged enough. Too hard???

Regards,
-Erik
ringoism is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2012, 21:14   #1446
Senior - BHPian

Moderator: sorry for the multi-posts above. Connection was bad and I thought it hadn't gone out. Feel free to remove at least two of those.

RE: more inch-size 16" options: I really like the look of this one...

http://www.mrf-exports.com/product_d...?c=18&s=&p=213

But shows up only under "export" MRF. Anyone have any idea if there's a home-market equivalent?

JK Tyre Trak-Tuf I've seen looks pretty aggressive & snow/mud-worthy in a 6.00-16, and could be a good compromise for Jeepers who want a little more road grip / life compared with NDMS - JK's website only lists the 7.50-16, which is intended for buses / trucks; ply count might be too high (too hard/thick) for lighter vehicles and if the photo is accurate, it's a lot less aggressive pattern in that size anyway.

Just trying to figure out what to do for my Marshal... tires are always a compromise, none offer superior performance in all conditions. Lifespan / grip / rolling resistance / noise control /price always at odds.

Wouldn't mind 7.00-16's, size-wise. 30" diameter vs. 28" for 235-75-16's. Extra inch of GC and cheaper. 7.50's just seem a little big for the wheel-wells and I wonder whether I'll have clearance issues. Also cost. If anyone out there is running 7's they like which are available, let me know. Otherwise could probably find some good 7.00 casings and find a fairly aggressive re-tread pattern for not much over Rs3,500 or so.

I saw an excerpt from a U.S. military report outlining their reasons for switching from NDMS tires to more modern radials; generally, that the NDMS (or NDCC for "Cross-Country") is a pre-WW2 design and performance-wise can be bettered by modern designs for current applications, also that it is now considered "unsafe" - as a few people above have noted re: on-road use.

Regards, Erik

Last edited by ringoism : 1st September 2012 at 21:17.
Old 2nd September 2012, 06:55   #1447
Senior - BHPian

@ Erik,

You could try Apollo Bullets which are available in 16" rims and where the cross section is under 235mm. It is approx 31" and is fair/good over rough terrain depending on your tyre pressure.

JK Sand cum highway is another popular option but the lugs are narrower than apollo!!
headers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2012, 19:47   #1448
Senior - BHPian

I am skeptical that Bullets would handle snow well. I am not sure... The lugs are big but don't have many/any sipes (mini lugs inside the lugs) that you need in snow. Also, most of you have seen Army jeeps with Bullets mounted. When they get some wear on them they are like racing slicks, about the last thing you want on snow/ice.

You can switch to 15 inch tyres without losing ground clearance. You can buy tall 15 inch tyres that more than make up for the 1 inch difference from 16s. You may or may not want to do this depending on what tyre you want and whether it is available in 15 or 16 inch sizes.

There are some online tyre shops now where you can purchase tyres and have them delivered to you. If nothing else, the sites give you some small idea of what tyres are out there and available. Here is one link.

http://changemytyre.com/
DirtyDan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2012, 10:38   #1449

HI I'm planing to upsize my tyres on the THAR request help.Dont wanna sped a bomb but have just bought the vehicle so can exchange the original ones.Can i put the 17 inch ones too on original rims?Or just maintain the 16" ones.I'm wanting the wide look,at the same time not going too much off track as will be offroading often.
Old 24th September 2012, 23:14   #1450
BHPian

Hi Guys. I have a few queries, request tire gurus to help me out here.

Coming weekend my ’96 Armada’s 4wd conversion, SPOA and few other mod work will begin. Right now it’s running Bridgestone Dueler HT 215/75 R15s and I know they are going to be absolute useless Off-road. Now my queries are:

1. I am planning for Maxxis Trepedor M8060 235/75 R15s. Will I need to change my steel rims for those? As they are tubeless type and my rims are 16 years old now.
2. If yes, can I go for used/new steel rims from a newer vehicle? How much approximately should I pay for them? Reason being by the end of all the mechanical mods, I’ll be left with few Vitamin Ms and can upgrade to -ve offset alloys only by early next year. But I really want to change tires right now only.
3. Now the Bridgestones I am using are 4 years old but have >85% grip left on them as they’re run less than 2000kms since. Reason being our rare use. It’s only once a week that I take it for a very short drive around. But my mechanic told me that such less use creates ruptures and minor cracks on walls of tires and they will be of Zero value now if I sell them. Is it true?

Thank you.
Old 27th September 2012, 12:39   #1451
BHPian

please excuse me of going heavily off topic here , a lil history on why if you might care to read..
ive had a jeep (95 mm 540) for over a year now, initially had yokohama geolandars and i liked the decent off road/tarmac performance and grip. they didn't wear too quick but recently one burst and ive been left with the situation of buying a new set. have been on the look out for 31x10.5 for a bit yet what really irritates me is the prices that retailers have been charging. they pick up the tires at 8 to 9 grand and retail for 12 to 14 thousand each. they may be right ethically or morally, but since when did offroading, become such an expensive interest to have...
khalil_khan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2012, 12:55   #1452
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagar iswalkar View Post
Hi Guys. I have a few queries, request tire gurus to help me out here.

Coming weekend my ’96 Armada’s 4wd conversion, SPOA and few other mod work will begin. Right now it’s running Bridgestone Dueler HT 215/75 R15s and I know they are going to be absolute useless Off-road. Now my queries are:

1. I am planning for Maxxis Trepedor M8060 235/75 R15s. Will I need to change my steel rims for those? As they are tubeless type and my rims are 16 years old now.
2. If yes, can I go for used/new steel rims from a newer vehicle? How much approximately should I pay for them? Reason being by the end of all the mechanical mods, I’ll be left with few Vitamin Ms and can upgrade to -ve offset alloys only by early next year. But I really want to change tires right now only.
3. Now the Bridgestones I am using are 4 years old but have >85% grip left on them as they’re run less than 2000kms since. Reason being our rare use. It’s only once a week that I take it for a very short drive around. But my mechanic told me that such less use creates ruptures and minor cracks on walls of tires and they will be of Zero value now if I sell them. Is it true?

Thank you.
1. If your Armada is 139.7 PCD go for new Gypsy rims. Easy to get and will work perfectly for your Trepadors. If Armada is 160 pcd then go for older Scorpio/Safari 15 inch rims. Should work fine
2. Steel rims are 1000-1200 per rim tops. Older ones should be cheaper
3. I'd change to Trepador. In fact if you are going for SPOA on the Armada maybe 31x10.5R15 Mud terrains would be a better idea than 235s. See if that works for your budget.

Cheers,
Adi
AVR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2012, 17:15   #1453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagar iswalkar View Post
if rims are bad then you need to change them.

Quote:
Dont go for -ve offset alloys - go for a new set of steel rims or normal alloys if vitamin M permits. IMO Steel is better suited to hardcore offroad use, but hardcore is individualistic so i leave it open

Quote:
I would deflate the tyres for the terrain suitably and wear them out before i spend money on new tyres.
headers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2012, 22:23   #1454
BHPian

Thanks a lot @headers and @AVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
I'd change to Trepador. In fact if you are going for SPOA on the Armada maybe 31x10.5R15 Mud terrains would be a better idea than 235s. See if that works for your budget.

Cheers,
Adi
I've talked to a guy who promised to bring some used alloys for me to see. The problem is its very difficult to talk to those used part dealers and make them understand what's PCD and all. All he could tell me was those are some sparingly used 15' OE alloys but couldn't even tell me the make and model.

Will definitely try to stretch my budget for 31's but can do that only when my mechanical parts shopping is done and my technition has given me a clear estimate of his labor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
IMO Steel is better suited to hardcore offroad use, but hardcore is individualistic so i leave it open

I would deflate the tyres for the terrain suitably and wear them out before i spend money on new tyres.
Yes well 'hardcore' is what I have in my mind. So maybe I'll stick to steel rims but a new set.

Deflating tires for OTRs is actually a good idea. But I would still change to 30/31'. Reason being my current tires will look puny when compared to the new found height. Also I've talked to a Sumo cab'ie and he is ready to pay me a good amount.

Thanks.
Old 14th October 2012, 10:59   #1455
Senior - BHPian

Hi, need some quick inputs.

Am taking delivery of my new Thar in the coming week and want to change the tires and wheels immediately.

I do not foresee any highway driving. Most of it will be in the city or I might explore some OTR's etc. as I go along. Therefore, I think that A/T's would probably suit me best until the time I figure out how I'll be using the Thar.

Based on preliminary research on TBHP, I have shortlisted the 255/65/16 Yokohama Geolander. Is this a good choice?

What about 265/70/15?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks