Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2012, 11:34   #1456
Senior - BHPian

re: The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
Hi, need some quick inputs.

Am taking delivery of my new Thar in the coming week and want to change the tires and wheels immediately.

I do not foresee any highway driving. Most of it will be in the city or I might explore some OTR's etc. as I go along. Therefore, I think that A/T's would probably suit me best until the time I figure out how I'll be using the Thar.

Based on preliminary research on TBHP, I have shortlisted the 255/65/16 Yokohama Geolander. Is this a good choice?

What about 265/70/15?
Hi Manveet,

My personal suggestion would be to just use the Thar as it is for the first couple of months. Also try and catch up with some of the NIOC folks once you get your Thar and go on some OTRs. Once you do this, you would get an idea yourself if you would prefer to go with ATs or MTs.
For your use case of mostly city use, the stock tyres will do just fine.

If you still would want to upgrade the tyres, decide first if you would want to upgrade the stock brakes of Thar with the ones on scorpio. If yes, do not switch to 15" rims. If you are happy with the stock brakes of the Thar, then moving on to 15" rims opens up more tyre options than 16".

Cheers,
Deepak
starter is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2012, 17:16   #1457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter
My personal suggestion would be to just use the Thar as it is for the first couple of months.
Quote:
For your use case of mostly city use, the stock tyres will do just fine.
Not possible as this is replacing my Accord so a few immediate interior and exterior mods are imperative, including a new set of alloys + wheels.

Quote:
Also try and catch up with some of the NIOC folks once you get your Thar and go on some OTRs. Once you do this, you would get an idea yourself if you would prefer to go with ATs or MTs.
Could you please suggest official page/ link for NIOC or any other groups active in 4x4. The NIOC website has not been updated for 2 years. Alternately please post me 2-3 links of OTR excursions in NCR - from TBHP or elsewhere. You may PM me in case you feel that your reply will take this thread OT.

Quote:
If you still would want to upgrade the tyres, decide first if you would want to upgrade the stock brakes of Thar with the ones on scorpio. If yes, do not switch to 15" rims. If you are happy with the stock brakes of the Thar, then moving on to 15" rims opens up more tyre options than 16".
I am more likely to be dissatisfied with braking quality than get into hardcore 4x4 action so from that perspective will stick with 16 inches. But are you saying that a brake upgrade is NOT possible if I switch to 15 inches. Please confirm.

Thanks!

Last edited by manveet : 14th October 2012 at 17:21.
Old 14th October 2012, 23:14   #1458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
Not possible as this is replacing my Accord so a few immediate interior and exterior mods are imperative, including a new set of alloys + wheels.
I don't quite get you. Why would you want to upgrade tyres because it is replacing an Accord?
Anyway, go with Yoko Geos (AT) if you want a good overall performance.
If you want some butch looks, go with Maxxis Bighorns (MT).
Quote:
I am more likely to be dissatisfied with braking quality than get into hardcore 4x4 action so from that perspective will stick with 16 inches. But are you saying that a brake upgrade is NOT possible if I switch to 15 inches. Please confirm.
No, brake upgrade would not be possible with 15" rims. So stick to 16" rims if you intend to get your brakes upgraded. You could search for Behram's post on the brake upgrade in one of the Thar ownership threads.

Cheers,
Deepak
Old 14th October 2012, 23:51   #1459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by davids4x4mm550 View Post
Just checking cause a lot of people are saying the heavy army rims and 10 ply tyres will cause a lot of problems.
This sounds good am in touch with speedways the are saying 4500 per tyre + 490 tube + 150 transport also checking with ATF.

Thanks for the feedback
Hi David,

If you have not bought a set we at NIOC are trying to formulate a bulk order of 7.50-16 R1 8 ply and 7.00-16 NDMS 8 ply. Prices are similar to Speedway. Check FB page of NIOC, a post by Romi Malick. More the buyers easier would be the deal. UBS sir has ordered 20 pcs of NDMS!!!

cheers
vishwas
Old 15th October 2012, 17:49   #1460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't quite get you. Why would you want to upgrade tyres because it is replacing an Accord?
What I meant is that I will be using the Thar for almost the same purpose I use my Accord and so would like it to be in a similar state of pimp

Quote:
Anyway, go with Yoko Geos (AT) if you want a good overall performance.If you want some butch looks, go with Maxxis Bighorns (MT).

No, brake upgrade would not be possible with 15" rims. So stick to 16" rims if you intend to get your brakes upgraded. You could search for Behram's post on the brake upgrade in one of the Thar ownership threads.
Ok, so Yoko's it is. And thank you so much for clarifying about the brakes. Yes, I had read that in some thread and even downloaded the excel, but somehow missed the part about it not being possible on 15 inchers.
Old 17th October 2012, 20:24   #1461
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwaschettri View Post
Hi David,

If you have not bought a set we at NIOC are trying to formulate a bulk order of 7.50-16 R1 8 ply and 7.00-16 NDMS 8 ply. Prices are similar to Speedway. Check FB page of NIOC, a post by Romi Malick. More the buyers easier would be the deal. UBS sir has ordered 20 pcs of NDMS!!!

cheers
vishwas
Dam too late, i picked up a set of Maxxis MTs from Harjeev.
But Thanks this would have been a good option cause picking them up from Speedways was a task.
Old 23rd October 2012, 00:41   #1462

Hi manveet...I have been driving my thar crde with Yokohama Geolander AT 245/70/16 for the last 11 months. It is my daily commute vehicle plus I do a lot of off roading with these primarily on slushy terrains. Amongst all the ATs, I find Yokohama to be rated better. A bit bumpy with decent on road grip. Well....we are driving a refined jeep so we cannot expect it to behave like a car right. Off road performance is also good as it has performed equally well as compared to MTs on our other jeeps. Off road, I would always put my money on NDMS. Simply superb...IMO, don't go beyond 245 as wider profiles would stress your hubs and steering. I on on a set of 16 inch alloys from Neo Wheels, an Indian manufacturer as I do not trust these Taiwanese brands. Please bear in mind that the uneven wear especially on the outer sides is noticed in thar and you may need to keep a watch and rotate the tires more often than required.
shetsanju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2012, 11:18   #1463
BHPian

ive been on the lookout for tyres that can do both, offroading and lots of highway driving. the highway bit , cuts out any MT tyre because of wear and tear. have found a set of brand new jk sand cum highway ( 7.50 x 16 ) , and strangely they are not the normal 6 / 8 ply , but a new 16 ply as shown by the dealer. any cons as regards to this set up. how would you rate these tyres.
Old 3rd November 2012, 11:45   #1464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalil_khan View Post
ive been on the lookout for tyres that can do both, offroading and lots of highway driving. the highway bit , cuts out any MT tyre because of wear and tear. have found a set of brand new jk sand cum highway ( 7.50 x 16 ) , and strangely they are not the normal 6 / 8 ply , but a new 16 ply as shown by the dealer. any cons as regards to this set up. how would you rate these tyres.
I had them on my x-540. You will get wonderful mileage and tire life, but they are very very very hard tires, so they do not flex even at 15 psi.

It was good otherwise - No complaints, punctures or worries about sidewall cuts.
headers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2012, 11:57   #1465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
I had them on my x-540. You will get wonderful mileage and tire life, but they are very very very hard tires, so they do not flex even at 15 psi.

It was good otherwise - No complaints, punctures or worries about sidewall cuts.
awesome, and how good are they on sand and mud, i have used them extensively on rock and they are much better than my geolandars. and yes, they do have a problem flexing. should the 16 ply rating be a problem?
Old 3rd November 2012, 15:39   #1466
Senior - BHPian

Khalil Khan,

JK, MRF, APOLLO all these army class tyres, wear out very fast on road driving. You can expect not more than 20 thousand kilometers before you see flattened and worn out lugs.

Better option would be to go for softer AT's or MT's.
Regards,
fazalaliadil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2012, 20:30   #1467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalil_khan View Post
awesome, and how good are they on sand and mud, i have used them extensively on rock and they are much better than my geolandars. and yes, they do have a problem flexing. should the 16 ply rating be a problem?
I did not have problems on sand and slush, but as i said before, they are very very hard tyres. IF that is not your concern, you could go for it!
headers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2012, 11:42   #1468
BHPian

guess ill make do with these tyres for now, in the hope that sometime down the road i can lay my hands on ones that are good at highways as well as bad terrain along with good life. thank you headers and fazal sahab
khalil_khan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2012, 18:32   #1469
BANNED

I am going in for Jk supra 245/75R16 for my new thar crde any other suggestions are welcome. I was actually looking out for 235/75R16 or 235/70R17 but could not get these sizes any help would be appreciated
Old 1st January 2013, 11:17   #1470
Senior - BHPian

I am seriously thinking of moving down from my stock Mahindra 16" rims to a 15 inch alloy so as to increase the tyres I can select from and to get a wider rim to accommodate wider tyres.

I want something plain, strong and cheap and I am not too concerned with what they look like...function over form in this case. It's for a 2009 Invader so you know I don't care about style.

So, what alloys do you guys like given my needs?

Most Viewed