Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2008, 14:29   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb View Post
May I know how the MRF Sandgrips performs on the road. The treads don't seem to inspire any confidence for moderate to high speeds (Within 100kmph)
Jyobeb,
NO, they may not be good for highspeed, I have not yet done because of my inefficient brakes.
Old 9th November 2008, 16:18   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Jyobeb,
NO, they may not be good for high speed, I have not yet done because of my inefficient brakes.
Do you think that maybe, your brakes seem inefficient due to the tyres?
Old 9th November 2008, 17:32   #123
Senior - BHPian

Beboy, we both know about the on-road brake performance of the drums in jeeps.
I've done 70-80kph on these tyres. They're ok on road.
Old 9th November 2008, 19:16   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ;1045429
Hi Guys,

A few clarifications about the MM550XD
1) They were introduced in 1997(c) with Disc-Brake in the front on 51" Track Width Axles

2) They were fitted with LSD in the rear semi floating axle, 51" Track Width.

3) In 2004 the NGCS MM550XD was introduced with
a) Box-Section Chassis
b) Wider Leaf Springs (Bolero/Maxx-Pikup/Marshal 2000)
c) Full -Floating Rear Axle with LSD with 53" Track Width
d) Open Knuckle Front Axles with new PCD (Scorpio/Bolero) and 57" Track Width.

To Support the Tyre weight you can reinforce the door with a full height plate/vertically orient and weld a U-Channel behind the Tyre Bracket and add 2 L-Shaped Angles under the door, where the hinges for the drop type tailgate were fitted.

Regards,

Arka
ex670c,
Thanks for your inputs very helpful indeed, the two L- shaped angles are a very simple but extremely efficient as they will prevent the tailgate from sagging, got one welded to my green MM540 just 2 days back, it was my fabricators idea, now I will make him put another one on it, I also wanted to get the same for my white Jeep but refrained, because it would need a paint touchup after the weld. We checked if it is possible to fasten it by nut and bolt, it can be done as my doubt was...will there be acess for a spanner and hand to hold the nut to be tightened just above the rear bumper in my case chasis as I have removed the two peice bumper first thing I bought this Jeep two years ago. Yes I have a near full length plate 6mm welded to the rear part of the tailgate and also ran a pipe through the top pipe of the gate.
Old 9th November 2008, 19:27   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb View Post
Do you think that maybe, your brakes seem inefficient due to the tyres?
jyobeb,
Surely the army tyres are not responsible for the inefficient braking, it is the power+weight ratio against obselete braking technology. The army tyres are wider and should give more contact on road while running as well as braking. I did speeds up to 80 and love the truck like sound the tyres makes when in motion. Never went above this speed for the simple reason BRAKES.
Old 10th November 2008, 09:44   #126
Senior - BHPian

Just making sure about the tyres as I am in the process of buying a gypsy king, on which I will be doing an SPOA and fitiing taller tyres. My use will be 80% tarmac and 20% off-road.
Old 10th November 2008, 11:10   #127
BHPian

Quote:
ex670c,
Thanks for your inputs very helpful indeed, the two L- shaped angles are a very simple but extremely efficient as they will prevent the tailgate from sagging, got one welded to my green MM540 just 2 days back, it was my fabricators idea, now I will make him put another one on it, I also wanted to get the same for my white Jeep but refrained, because it would need a paint touchup after the weld. We checked if it is possible to fasten it by nut and bolt, it can be done as my doubt was...will there be acess for a spanner and hand to hold the nut to be tightened just above the rear bumper in my case chasis as I have removed the two peice bumper first thing I bought this Jeep two years ago. Yes I have a near full length plate 6mm welded to the rear part of the tailgate and also ran a pipe through the top pipe of the gate.
did the XDp 4 wd and 5 speed 1999 model ever come with a LSD???
Old 11th November 2008, 06:53   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitemm550 View Post
did the XDp 4 wd and 5 speed 1999 model ever come with a LSD???
White,
No idea if the 99 came with an LSD.
Old 11th November 2008, 17:05   #129
BHPian

Dear Fazal,

The Civilian models never had a LSD,

The Models from mid 2000 onwards if i am right had the LSD, not before that, the LSD is from DANA spicer india

some of the Jeeps in the indiam army were White in color & were used by the india MI units & the base units like EME, Army hostpitals extra

Best regards
Vinay thomas
-------------------------------------------
Quote:
White,
No idea if the 99 came with an LSD.
Old 11th November 2008, 19:02   #130
Team-BHP Support

Visiting this thread after a year, this time for the Jeep.

These are the top 10 ranked all-terrain tyres according to Tirerack.com site. How many are now available in India?
  1. Pirelli Scorpion ATR
  2. Firestone Destination A/T
  3. Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor
  4. Michelin LTX A/T 2
  5. Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo
  6. Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S
  7. General Grabber AT 2
  8. Kumho Road Venture AT KL-78
  9. BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO
  10. Michelin LTX A/T

I have many times considered switching to 7x16 NDMS or Sandgrips. Considering it is very hard to get either of them, I am looking for other options.
Old 11th November 2008, 19:58   #131
Senior - BHPian

Give utmost importance to sidewall strength and ruggedness for your kind of usage.
Else, you'll be going through sets without wearing even half the tread.
Old 11th November 2008, 20:33   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Give utmost importance to sidewall strength and ruggedness for your kind of usage.
Else, you'll be going through sets without wearing even half the tread.
. Samurai i dont know about Yokohama Geolander AT-S but i can give first hand experience for Geolandar A/T-II+ tyres which are on my Jeep. These tyres have good sidewall strength and overall performance is good with top rating in rock climbing. These are self cleaning tyres so throws a lot of mud though.

I normally keep 25psi for these tyres but they can go down upto 18psi and you can drive around without any worry. My friend once even went down to 14psi for short period during an OTR. You can test drive my Jeep if you are coming BLR or if we meet in a OTR and see for yourself how these tyres perform.

Good thing is they are available in India without much trouble.

Cheers!
-Vaspro
Old 11th November 2008, 21:57   #133
Senior - BHPian

option 6 or 9 would my opinion
Old 11th November 2008, 22:09   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
This is one tyre topic hardly discussed in the forum. Therefore, I am creating a new thread for it.

I live in a rural setting, where the roads are mostly broken tarmac dotted with pot-holes every few yards. The quality of roads including highways is very poor. During monsoon, one can do serious off-roading in certain sections of the highway. This is probably the case in many parts of India.

Those of us who own SUVs in rural settings have all run into this dilemma. What tyres to put on our ride that routinely switch between on-road and off-road kind of terrain. The stock tyres are usually not up to the task ahead of them. The highway tyres are designed to handle very occasional shocks here and there. The kind of off-road terrain presented by our pothole ridden roads is not what the highway tyres are designed for in the first place. We need better sidewall protection, and shock protection. Therefore, we need options to replace them with all-terrain tires that are available in the country.

So, let me kick start this with my tyre requirement.

My Grand Vitara came with 225/70R16 Yokohama H/T highway all-season tyres. Initially I was hoping to replace the H/T tyres with A/T tyres of the same size. However, my hopes were dashed as I discovered that the 225/70R16 size is a non-existent size in the whole country. Since the tyres are fitted in Japan, they obviously don't realise that this size is unavailable in India. The next closest fit is 235/70R16. But there is no hope of exchanging the tyres since nobody wants the tyre size I have, therefore I have currently stuck to OE tyres.

But I have noticed that whenever I drive on uneven broken roads, the traction is less. The turn-off from the main road to my office is really broken into gravel and I feel the slip everyday. In couple of off-roading I have tried, I have easily spun my tyres in dry mud. Therefore I am again thinking seriously about all-terrain tyres.

I know BF Goodrich T/A KO is available. The mud traction is weak according to worldwide user reports. The pattern looks too aggressive, that may affect highway manners. What are the other A/T tyre options, please share your knowledge.
Samurai,
You will have a hard time finding a better tire than the BFG AT for your stated usage.

It is a great tire with a very tough carcass that makes it puncture resistant. The tread is reasonable aggressive and will work well for highway use also. In my opinion, it is just about the perfect tire for Indian road conditions.

Regarding its performance in the mud, the reports that you read from abroad are for total mud bog slogging. This is not a likely scenario typically. I can assure you that they are much better in the mud than your current tires.

If the BFG ATs do not meet your mud needs, then get the BFG MTs. The mud terrains are terrific in the mud and are just fantastic off road tires. I run these on my MM340. But be aware that the BFG MTs are not the best highway tire, and do make some noise, which is typical for Mud Terrains.
Old 11th November 2008, 22:20   #135
Senior - BHPian

You can also try the Bridgestone Dueler A/T 31x10.5 6P. I use this in my scorpio and have found it not loosing traction in gravel and mud. Is a bit noisy on tarred roads because of the tough rubber.

Most Viewed