Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2009, 09:05   #541
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone tell me what would be the best set of tubeless radials to go on the 16" original army rims of the MM550XDB? I am not looking for extra wide tyres. My driving would be 65% highways, 35% off-road (jungles, slush, rocky terrain, very less sand).

I thought that the Yokohama Geolandar 235/85R16 AT/S was a good size, but got to know yesterday from the Yokohama regional manager that this size was not available here. He suggested the 245/70R16 (which decreases ground clearance) or the 275/70R16 (which I doubt would fit the rim, also not keen on huge width).

Looking forward to your help (yes, almost zeroed in on a MM550XDB!).
Old 29th May 2009, 10:18   #542
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
Can anyone tell me what would be the best set of tubeless radials to go on the 16" original army rims of the MM550XDB? I am not looking for extra wide tyres. My driving would be 65% highways, 35% off-road (jungles, slush, rocky terrain, very less sand).

I thought that the Yokohama Geolandar 235/85R16 AT/S was a good size, but got to know yesterday from the Yokohama regional manager that this size was not available here. He suggested the 245/70R16 (which decreases ground clearance) or the 275/70R16 (which I doubt would fit the rim, also not keen on huge width).

Looking forward to your help (yes, almost zeroed in on a MM550XDB!).
@DiscoverWild,

On the Army rims the only tyres that will fit perfect are the Sandgrips/Bullets. The army rims less wide and so any broad tyre will have a balloon effect. I have seen MRF Wonderers on the army rims, they fit well but the overall height reduces drastically.

What I'd suggest you is look for sandgrips or bullets. There is one more tyre you could look into which is the BF Goodriche ATs. This is one tyre I think which will fit perfect and performance would also be amazing on and off the road. For the Sandgrips and Bullets I guggest you to see Harjeev's posts.

Cheers !!!!!!!!!!!!

Randeep
Old 29th May 2009, 10:52   #543
Senior - BHPian

Hi Randeep,

Thanks for the quick reply. As I mentioned earlier, My driving would be majorly on highways. My guess is Sandgrips would be a pain and also wear out faster. What size would you recommend on the BF Goodrichs?
Old 29th May 2009, 11:12   #544
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amar82 View Post
.. I am confused about getting Wheel/tyre package...i really like broad tyres but they are not good for offorading. The wheel of Gypsy is 15" and if i go for offroad tyres with 15" , i cannot find more than 235 width... any suggestions regarding alloy rims or tyres ...
That's strange, you can get whatever size you want in 15" man.

31"
33".....

Infact 255 is very common in the Goodyear Wrangler A/T pattern.

Maybe you need to look at some good tyre shops in your/nearby towns

Cheers,
Old 29th May 2009, 11:56   #545
BHPian

Hi Khan Sultan,
Actually the issue is that i live in vancouver and visit india often, my parents(who are in india) are helping me restoring the gypsy(inspired after reading Harjeev's Thread) that i got 2 weeks back. now the issue is that i myself can't go to the shops. i have to tell my parents to grab things for me and they are no very expert at all these things. so i have to let my parents know what set of tyres and alloys i want so that they can order for me. i am really interested in 275 AT or mud tyres for my gypsy without any suspension modification..???
Old 29th May 2009, 13:30   #546
Senior - BHPian

discoverwild,

I have BFG AT's on my Jeep. The only size in 16" in the AT's is 235/70 R16. Here is a picture, you can save a bit of money by contacting a few local BFG dealers (see Michelin India - Home for dealers). I got 4 tyres for RS5,500 each and the spare cost a bit more.

Amar82,

I did something similar when I got my MM550 built in India whilst in England. You will get much better prices in Jalandhar than Ludhiana. Also we found that the big tyre dealers in Jalandhar are more honest than the Ludhiana lot. There are a few big tyre dealers in Ludhiana and a similar number in Jalandhar. The Jalandhar dealers would tell you if they had nothing in stock over the phone and that you needed to order. The Ludhiana dealers would assure you they had everything in stock but when you got there they had nothing in stock (wasted journey).

Bakkhshisons near Apollo Chowk in Ludhiana were quite poor when it came to service. Assured my dad that they had tyres in stock but they did not have them and instead tried to get receipts from my dad for the tyres he bought in Jalandhar as the dealer there was selling below the MRP. My dad told them to as they were not getting any receipts.

If your stock rims are not too wide then you will have to source new rims or alloys. Again plenty of dealers in and around Ludhiana for rims. Just pick some neo, aura or prestige up if you want alloys.

.:: Aura - High Performance Alloy Wheels ::. (be aware google says the site puts malicious software on your PC might be worth browsing in sandboxie)

Welcome to Neo Wheels

:: PRESTIGE DESIGN ::

Last edited by bigman : 29th May 2009 at 13:41.
Old 29th May 2009, 14:35   #547
Senior - BHPian

Dear Bigman,

That is a beautiful MM550. Can you tell me the performance of the tyres on/off road and also the ground clearance? I believe the overall diameter of the tyre will be around 29". Does this affect on-road performance (engine running at higher rpm)?
Old 29th May 2009, 15:05   #548
BHPian

Guys where can I get 15" or 16" Diameter Alloys or rims with a 10" depth.?
Old 29th May 2009, 15:10   #549
Senior - BHPian

discoverwild,

On road performance is fine and have had no real issues apart from teething issues after a rebuild (none of them engine related). The ground clearance is slightly reduced but I expect for our usage it should be fine (more road usage and some usage on loose dirt tracks around farmland). If you are going to do a lot of OTR then ground clearance will become a bigger factor. The Jeep has not been used OTR yet so can't comment on that yet. However I think someone on this thread has posted about using them offroad on this thread.

The other comments on these tyres was the life of the tread is said to be exceptional. Someone posted something on this thread about the pattern being less than half worn after 40,000KM.

Last edited by bigman : 29th May 2009 at 15:12.
Old 29th May 2009, 22:41   #550
BHPian

Thanks for your PM Satnam....i will order my tyres from jalandhar..

The problem is that you can find tyres on internet but you don't know if they are avaialable in indian market. Do u know any Tyre brand(in india) that provides AT or Mud Terrian tyres in 275/60/R15 configuration..
Old 30th May 2009, 09:08   #551
Senior - BHPian

Thanks again, Bigman.

One more question. With so many different options of tyres for the MMs (varying widths, aspect ratios, even rims), the speedometer and odometer is definitely going to be giving false readings. Do owners bother about correcting them (unaware of the right term)?

How will you know the actual speed you are driving at or the actual distance travelled?
Old 30th May 2009, 11:39   #552
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amar82 View Post
Thanks for your PM Satnam....i will order my tyres from jalandhar..

The problem is that you can find tyres on internet but you don't know if they are avaialable in indian market. Do u know any Tyre brand(in india) that provides AT or Mud Terrian tyres in 275/60/R15 configuration..
Found this in our own t-bhp classifieds, may be this could be of your help:

Team-BHP Classifieds - alloys's Ads - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

There are 3 - 4 good options for 15 inch Mud terrain tyres from this seller.
Old 30th May 2009, 13:05   #553
fk7
BHPian

neo wheels

hi all,

First of all, thanks for the alloy wheel links. I found that neo wheels have 16" wheels in 139 PCD. For example as below.

Does anyone have any opinions and user reviews about these neo wheels? Are they good quality?

Firoz
Attached Thumbnails
The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread-wheel-neo.jpg  

Old 2nd June 2009, 09:02   #554
BHPian

Lowdown on Gypsy Rims

After reading on this thread and elsewhere on the net, it looked like Gypsy rims, with its 139.7 mm PCD 5 bolt pattern was the correct match for the mm540, albeit with a Negative offset(thereby pushing the tyres away from the leaf springs).
Since I was looking for a low-cost alternative, the Gypsy rims were the most appealing. Hence I bought a set of 5 rims at Rs 1190/- each. I got the rims yesterday, and i ran some quick measurements to try and gauge the offset.

Here are some pics:
The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread-bp-001.jpg

The stamping on the rim:
The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread-bp-002.jpg

Measuring the 'PCD plate' from the outer part of the rim:
The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread-bp-003.jpg

Measuring the PCD plate from the inner part of the rim:
The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread-bp-004.jpg

From the above, it seems to me,from a pure common-sense perspective, that the Offset seems to be Positive, which means that the tyres will be pushed towards the inside of the vehicle, i.e towards the leaf springs. Comments please.
The next step, in a bid to protect my investment, will be to carry out the same exercise with the stock rims to estimate the impact of switching over to the gypsy rims.

I would like to hear from those who have 235/75R15 tyres on gypsy rims on their MM540's to get the comforting feeling that it will not hit the leaf springs on full lock(front tyres) and exhaust(rear tyre) in this setup.

Thanks, hope this helps.
Old 2nd June 2009, 12:42   #555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fk7 View Post
hi all,

First of all, thanks for the alloy wheel links. I found that neo wheels have 16" wheels in 139 PCD. For example as below.

Does anyone have any opinions and user reviews about these neo wheels? Are they good quality?

Firoz
Hi Firoz,

Why don't you get a set from Dubai since there are plenty of models and makes available in the market. I saw many new models here in Saudi which is not available in Indian market.

sadiq

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks