Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2010, 11:10   #751
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amar82 View Post
I am looking for alloys similar to Arjun's Zuki with silver finish, let me know where i can find those in delhi.
Amar - The alloys I have are the same as Arjun's Zuki. Mine are orignal and Arjun had them painted black. I have give the dealers address on my thread for the GT Savero MT Tyres.
Old 12th March 2010, 20:12   #752
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amar82 View Post
Thanks Kaushik.

I know, white is boring. But have plans to make it look nice. I am not into that much into offroading as i have limited time during my vacation. So my intend is to make it a highway cruiser for going to rajasthan,Leh,etc so will go for either 275 or 255 tyres.
I am looking for alloys similar to Arjun's Zuki with silver finish, let me know where i can find those in delhi.
Sorry MODS for going off-topic here
But Amar dont you think that 255's ot 275 would be a big over kill as far as the gypsy goes. I had a MG410 way back in 1998 and had the same 275's on it, though on the looks part they used to look good to me way back then but driving wise they were a big pain. Firstly the FE goes for a toss, then the driving effort needed to steer such a thing will again mar your driving pleasure, especially in the city, not to mention I punctured my sidewall several times!!! Further as you want to do long distances, I think that such huge tyres on the gypsy will again limit your top end speeds. If I correctly remember the turning radius is also reduced quite a lot with these huge tyres.
Experts please correct me if I am wrong

But at the same time for the turning radius you could always use -ve off-set alloys and for driving effort you could install a power steering.

Just my views. Mods/ Experts pl correct me if wrong
Old 12th March 2010, 20:29   #753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
If I correctly remember the turning radius is also reduced quite a lot with these huge tyres.
I agree with the difficulties in turning and speeds on highways etc. But, don't you think that the turning radius would increase rather than decreasing? Or was it that you wanted to mention and wrote otherwise by mistake?

Regards,

Anirban.
Old 12th March 2010, 20:53   #754
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadVagabond View Post
I agree with the difficulties in turning and speeds on highways etc. But, don't you think that the turning radius would increase rather than decreasing? Or was it that you wanted to mention and wrote otherwise by mistake?

Regards,

Anirban.
My bad
You've got it Anirban
The turning radius will definitely increase by these tyres!!!
Cheers
Old 15th March 2010, 21:29   #755

Hi All,

I'm trying hard to find a set of Sandgrip (MRF or JK) or Bullet (Apollo) in 7.50x16 for my newly acquired Land Rover Series 3.
Would anyone know a place where to get them in Delhi or Gurgaon area?

Thanks
Old 15th March 2010, 22:05   #756
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandeland View Post
Hi All,

I'm trying hard to find a set of Sandgrip (MRF or JK) or Bullet (Apollo) in 7.50x16 for my newly acquired Land Rover Series 3.

Thanks
Please contact B.K Tyres Lajpat Nagar for availability they had recently sold Sandgrip tyres to someone when I was getting my tyres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
That'll be a big help. Since you already know him, please talk to him and ask about availability/price of Yoko Geolandar 205/70/R15.
Sorry, Nitin. I had got caught up with lots of things and couldn't call them up. I'm sending you the number by a message.

Regards,

Anirban.
Old 17th March 2010, 13:48   #757

Thanks for the lead Anirban! I called them up but the guy can't remember selling them and he is asking for which car they were. Do you know on which car these Sandgrips would be fitted? How long was it?
Again thanks for the great help!
Alban
Old 17th March 2010, 15:43   #758
Senior - BHPian

JKTyre Sand cum Highway

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandeland View Post
Hi All,

Thanks
Hi Fandeland,

JK Sand Cum Highway 7.50X 16 is available in Chennai with K.Srinivas 9444113889.

These are Brand New Ex-Army Stock Price Rs3300/- each with out Tubes.

Regards,

Arka

PS - These tyres dont look like the MRF Sandgrip or Apollo Bullet.
Attached Thumbnails
The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread-img_0179.jpg  

Old 17th March 2010, 19:05   #759
Distinguished - BHPian

I have ordered maxxis trepador 235/75/15 for my classic. Now these are directional tyres. Thus, the stepney will be only one sided. I can't afford to have 2 made nor will i ever be able to source another same original classic alloy wheel.
Thus, i must choose to have the spare left or right sided.
What if:
I took another tyre of the same size (eg. Savaro - which has a similar pattern but non directional) and used it for the stepney? Does it make sense?
Most of our OTRs are atleast 75kms away. Would using the spare tyre in the opposite tread direction have a problem driving back these long distances in case of a puncture during an OTR?
I'm getting the tyres tomorrow and need to make a quick decision.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 17th March 2010 at 19:07. Reason: typo
Old 17th March 2010, 19:10   #760
Distinguished - BHPian

Tejas: my 2 cents, just get 4 of these and keep one of the current tyyes as stepney. No need to go for 5.

I have been this path before and hence suggesting this.
Old 19th March 2010, 08:19   #761

Thanks Arka, that's a great news. I'll call him up if I can't get them in Delhi area.
Nice MM by the way!
Alban
Old 23rd March 2010, 12:32   #762
BHPian

Directional Tyres are actually made for getting a better wet surface traction, Hence even if you use it directional tyre the other way it is not going to make any major difference, the actual diference is just 2 to 3 %, hence i sujjest you can go for Maxxis trepdor even for your stepany.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
I have ordered maxxis trepador 235/75/15 for my classic. Now these are directional tyres. Thus, the stepney will be only one sided. I can't afford to have 2 made nor will i ever be able to source another same original classic alloy wheel.
Thus, i must choose to have the spare left or right sided.
What if:
I took another tyre of the same size (eg. Savaro - which has a similar pattern but non directional) and used it for the stepney? Does it make sense?
Most of our OTRs are atleast 75kms away. Would using the spare tyre in the opposite tread direction have a problem driving back these long distances in case of a puncture during an OTR?
I'm getting the tyres tomorrow and need to make a quick decision.
Old 25th March 2010, 22:42   #763
AVR
BHPian

540 Tyre and Rim suggestions

Hi Guys,

Need recommendations:
Current state:
1) Rims: 4.5x16
2) Tyres: 6.0x16

The height is low and the jeep looks rather bad with those smoothened cross plies.

Expected:
Tyre options
1) 235x75R15 - Would the Gypsy steel rims suffice for this one?
or 235x70R16 - What steel rims would I need for this tyre?
or 235x85R16 - I think this is the Xenon stock size. What rims will work for this?

Guys, please advise. Badly need to decide and get rid of the existing tyres.

Cheers,
Adi
Old 29th March 2010, 20:21   #764
Distinguished - BHPian

Crown/Pinion?

What Crown Pinion ratio are you running?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
Hi Guys,

Need recommendations:
Current state:
1) Rims: 4.5x16
2) Tyres: 6.0x16

The height is low and the jeep looks rather bad with those smoothened cross plies.

Expected:
Tyre options
1) 235x75R15 - Would the Gypsy steel rims suffice for this one?
or 235x70R16 - What steel rims would I need for this tyre?
or 235x85R16 - I think this is the Xenon stock size. What rims will work for this?

Guys, please advise. Badly need to decide and get rid of the existing tyres.

Cheers,
Adi
Old 30th March 2010, 00:57   #765
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
What Crown Pinion ratio are you running?
Not sure. Would be the stock ones on a 1990 540 DP??

Finally went in for the FC rims in 5.5x15 size with 235/75R15 "JK Brute 4x4" Tyres. Uploaded the pics in my ownership thread.

This week though the jeep will go in for 4wd conversion. Found a guy with a 4x4 Marshal who wants to castrate it so we are swapping the axles and gearboxes etc.

How would the crown pinion ratio be impacted?

Cheers,
Adi

Most Viewed