Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2011, 03:40   #1321
BHPian

If you still require Apollo Bullet (5 no.'s) contact me on 98850 71025.
Regards,[/quote]

I settled for jk, thanks for the offer anyway.
Old 5th September 2011, 14:34   #1322

re: The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread

hi jeepster
This is regarding the ATF tyres you had posted about on the 1st of august. Need to talk to you. Could you please pm me ur number.

regards
sangi
Old 5th September 2011, 15:48   #1323
Senior - BHPian

What exactly is the current problem with imported tyres and when will the problem be fixed....soon? There is a shortage, right?

Last edited by DirtyDan : 5th September 2011 at 15:50.
Old 5th September 2011, 16:13   #1324
Senior - BHPian

The common rumor is: there has been some import restriction on non-ISI marked tyres. ISI is a kind of quality standard for India. And since most of the A/T, M/T types of tyres we talk about here, are from outside, those are not ISI marked. Hence the restriction on importing the same and hence the shortage of supply. No idea when it will be fixed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
What exactly is the current problem with imported tyres and when will the problem be fixed....soon? There is a shortage, right?
Kandisa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2011, 12:14   #1325
BANNED

^^ very well summed up problem with 16" size tyres

I am sharing few pics for the trials I did & findings

1) A 245/70 x 16 tyre mounted on Land Rover disc -- Findings

a) reduces ground clearance

b) may touch vehicle parts ( too close to suspension components )
The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread-dscn1950.jpg

2) A conversion of wheel disc to cut ring ( commercial ) type & a Birla steeler tyre on it --- Not recommended

Note : there was a severe problem ( As always ) here in India for the 16 " light vehicle tyre , specially when a 8 ply equivalent was needed , one could only get 14 ply tyres or 16 ply tyres from LCV segment . These tyres were a pain to fit on regular discs .Often tyre or rim used to get damaged .
I bought my first Landy in 1999 , since then I have faced this problem ( specially fitting it on normal discs ) .So I converted the discs to Cut Ring type to facilitate easy fitting . I had chosen 14 ply Birla Stellers to fit on them .

This whole contraption was too heavy

The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread-dscn0921.jpg

The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread-dscn0923.jpg

3) Apollo Bullet 7.50 X 16 the last option I am trying now .. got these from a friend though are from an old lot , the problem seems to have taken care of for a while at least

The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread-dscn2912.jpg

The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread-dscn2913.jpg

Note the substantial difference in tyre height ( profile wrt ground clearance ) when compared with the 245/70 tyre

The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread-dscn2914.jpg

Sudarshan
Sudarshan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2011, 00:08   #1326
Senior - BHPian

these are my ATF Sand/Highway tyres.

bought at 4.5K for a Tyre+tube.
The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread-dsc05501.jpg

The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread-dsc05502.jpg

The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread-dsc05503.jpg

The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread-dsc05505.jpg
you can see the three depths of the tyre tread.

have tested them only for 150Kms on road , so cant tell any thing for now.
jeepster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2011, 10:39   #1327
BHPian

Hey all, I 've been looking for All Terrain Tyres for my Ford Endeavour in Chennai for the past 2 months and cannot find anything suitable. Could really really use some help!

Stock tyres are 245/70/16 MRF ZVRL Highway Tyres. I'm looking to get some fatter (atleast 265 width) that have a pretty aggressive All Terrain tread pattern. I would like the BFG TA/KO tyres the most followed by Yokohama Geolanders, and Pirelli Scorpion ATRs. No tyre dealer seems to have the width that I am looking for!

My current Tire Diameter is 29.5 so I'm looking for atleast that.

My preferences for an AT tyre are as follows:
1) Grip on mud/sand
2) Width
3) Diameter
4) Look of the pattern

If anyone has any idea where I may get a suitable set of tyres in Chennai or delivered to Chennai please please let me know. I am even willing to drive to Bangalore just to get these tyres! There is a shop in Chennai that it offering me 275/60/16 All season tires from Maxxis but they are likely to do very badly in the grip on sand department.

I know of the shortage in supply issue due to some import restrictions right now but I still want a new set of aggressive looking tyres. Really need some help guys and would really appreciate the help.

I am also open to other tyre brands if they satisfy my above preferences. Looking forward to hear from you all
Old 11th September 2011, 11:36   #1328
Senior - BHPian

You can try Reliance Mart for the BGF's though I doubt they'd stock 265's. I have 265's on my Pajero, Yoko Geolanders but the rim on Pajero is a 15, the same dealer had fitted Geolanders which was also 265's (i think, not very sure) on a Endeavour - it looked much better than what it did with the stock tyre, which looks too narrow for such a large vehicle..

Regarding grip on sand, I have not experienced that, but on mud they seem to do well.

Cheers
Old 11th September 2011, 13:02   #1329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavour333 View Post
No tyre dealer seems to have the width that I am looking for!
Try:

1. Tyrestore off Greams Road
2. LAL on whites road
3. LAL on Llyods road
4. MRF on Cathedral Road.

Usually non standard sizes are tough to come by. There are other options though!
headers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2011, 15:58   #1330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangi View Post
hi jeepster
This is regarding the ATF tyres you had posted about on the 1st of august. Need to talk to you. Could you please pm me ur number.

regards
sangi

sorry didnt see your post.

please mail me here jeepsternikhil@gmail.com as i cant sent you PM.
Old 13th September 2011, 07:50   #1331
BHPian

After calling about 15 different Tyre Dealers in yesterday for the third time (they already knew who I was when I called!) I have finally found myself two tyre dealers that have AT tyres! (for my Ford Endeavour)

My stock tyre size is 245/70/16 (Diameter = 29.5in.). The two sizes available for Geolanders are 255/65/16 (Diameter = 29.05in) and 265/70/16 (Diameter = 30.6in.).

I want to get the larger one but it will most definitely scrape against the mud guards on my car if the suspension compresses when the wheel is turned (only when both happen at the same time). Not sure which one would be a better buy. I could potentially shave off some of the front mud guards but i'm not sure how that will affect the look of the car. Please let me know what you all think I should do. Thank you all for the help.

Getting either one of the tyres tomorrow along with a rear tow hook at some point.
Old 13th September 2011, 17:04   #1332
BHPian

Quote:
After calling about 15 different Tyre Dealers in yesterday for the third time (they already knew who I was when I called!) I have finally found myself two tyre dealers that have AT tyres! (for my Ford Endeavour)

My stock tyre size is 245/70/16 (Diameter = 29.5in.). The two sizes available for Geolanders are 255/65/16 (Diameter = 29.05in) and 265/70/16 (Diameter = 30.6in.).

I want to get the larger one but it will most definitely scrape against the mud guards on my car if the suspension compresses when the wheel is turned (only when both happen at the same time). Not sure which one would be a better buy. I could potentially shave off some of the front mud guards but i'm not sure how that will affect the look of the car. Please let me know what you all think I should do. Thank you all for the help.

Getting either one of the tyres tomorrow along with a rear tow hook at some point.
you can go for 265/70/16 (Diameter = 30.6in.) with out any modification
matchless is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2011, 19:38   #1333
BHPian

About the Awesome Geolandars that I was planning to get:

I was so excited to get my huge Geolandar tyres that I actually skipped work that day to go to the shop as soon as it opened! I ended up getting to the shop at 10.15 in the morning when it was supposed to open only at 10.30 so ended up waiting there until someone showed up! Once the guy came in to open up the shop, I found out that they DID NOT have the size that i wanted in stock! Apparently the guy I had been talking to on the phone all along was the manager of a sister shop that doesn't completely know the stock of this one. I was very very disappointed

My 2 month long search for the perfect AT tyre that I thought had finally come to a sweet sweet end was to be continued indefinitely. Damn that ISI approved import blah blah blahh!

I still have the 255/65/16 Geolandars on the table but I dont want to go smaller than my current tyre. Does anyone still think it would be a good idea to go for those anyway? Another tyre on offer is a Goodyear Wrangler at 245/70/16. Sort of hesitant to get that because I really wanted wider tyres. Might just end up settling on that though.

Another important question: Do you think it would be wise to wait a few months until this mess with importing all terrain tyres / ISI dis-approved tyres will alleviate itself? I'm not sure how long all this trouble will last.

I've even made an Excel file of all the tyre dealers, their phone numbers, what they have in stock, tyre brand, dimensions, and price. I'm serious about this search but just cannot seem to get lucky.

By the way, this question was asked in another thread (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...#post2506517):

Is it ok to fit tyres that are meant for a 17 inch rim on 16 inch rims? I thought no but just wanted to make sure.

Thank you
Old 15th September 2011, 20:20   #1334
Senior - BHPian

Endeavour

Quote:
About the Awesome Geolandars that I was planning to get:

I was so excited to get my huge Geolandar tyres that I actually skipped work that day to go to the shop as soon as it opened! I ended up getting to the shop at 10.15 in the morning when it was supposed to open only at 10.30 so ended up waiting there until someone showed up! Once the guy came in to open up the shop, I found out that they DID NOT have the size that i wanted in stock! Apparently the guy I had been talking to on the phone all along was the manager of a sister shop that doesn't completely know the stock of this one. I was very very disappointed

My 2 month long search for the perfect AT tyre that I thought had finally come to a sweet sweet end was to be continued indefinitely. Damn that ISI approved import blah blah blahh!

I still have the 255/65/16 Geolandars on the table but I dont want to go smaller than my current tyre. Does anyone still think it would be a good idea to go for those anyway? Another tyre on offer is a Goodyear Wrangler at 245/70/16. Sort of hesitant to get that because I really wanted wider tyres. Might just end up settling on that though.

Another important question: Do you think it would be wise to wait a few months until this mess with importing all terrain tyres / ISI dis-approved tyres will alleviate itself? I'm not sure how long all this trouble will last.

I've even made an Excel file of all the tyre dealers, their phone numbers, what they have in stock, tyre brand, dimensions, and price. I'm serious about this search but just cannot seem to get lucky.

By the way, this question was asked in another thread (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-alloy-wheel-section/91202-replacement-tyres-new-ford-endeavour-4x4-2.html#post2506517):

Is it ok to fit tyres that are meant for a 17 inch rim on 16 inch rims? I thought no but just wanted to make sure.

Thank you
Hi Vishnu,

Why don't you get a set of 15" rims and go in for 31-10.50-15?

Also you can try the Maxxis Mudzilla 31-11.50-16.

Hav you read the intructions on any 16" Tyre? IIRC it is speciafically mentioned not to mount on 16.5" Rims so what do you think will happen when you mount 17" Tyres on 16 in Rims?

Regards,

Arka

PS - IIRC Ignite & Raghav are not into sourcing tyres.
Old 15th September 2011, 20:44   #1335
BHPian

Re: Endeavour

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Vishnu,

Why don't you get a set of 15" rims and go in for 31-10.50-15?

Also you can try the Maxxis Mudzilla 31-11.50-16.

Hav you read the intructions on any 16" Tyre? IIRC it is speciafically mentioned not to mount on 16.5" Rims so what do you think will happen when you mount 17" Tyres on 16 in Rims?

Regards,

Arka

PS - IIRC Ignite & Raghav are not into sourcing tyres.
Hi Arka, thanks for replying.
I dont want to get 15" rims because that will mean I will have to spend a lot more than what I had planned for. I just want to get tyres and sell the ones I currently have. Dont want to get MT tyres either because this car is my daily driver. The reason I wanted to get new tyres is for the off road ability of All Terrain tyres, wider tyres for better flotation, grip, and the obvious visual appeal of wider more rugged looking tyres. I think the current tyres look too skinny on the Endeavour and they are also HT tyres with not very deep tread.

My ultimate goal is also to be able to have a more capable car to feel confident that I can come off roading with you all when you decide to try some milder terrain. I am also getting a tow hook attached to the rear of my car to make towing out easier. A winch will also be looked into shortly although I might have to get myself the ironman front bumber to make that work. This is all just my attempt at trying NOT to make things too difficult for the rest of you when I do come on an OTR. I dont want you guys to be spending all day pulling me out Just being considerate.

I definitely thought that 17 inch tyres could not be fitted on 16 inch rims but this question was asked by someone else in the other thread and I told him that he could not but just wanted to make sure. Thank you for clarifying.

I wasn't badmouthing Raghav or anything, sorry if I came off like that it was not my intention. I knew he couldnt help me with tyres and someone in the other thread thought he did so I was just correcting him.

I cant buy a jeep for off roading right now but am trying to make my Endeavour more capable than it already is to atleast be able to do some "SUV Trailblazing" like terrain

Last edited by Endeavour333 : 15th September 2011 at 20:47.
Endeavour333 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed