Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2014, 16:09   #1531

re: The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread

Planning to buy an army rim for my mm540 will it affect the steering control that much ?. Else will go for gypsy rims. Need experts advice on this!.
Old 30th March 2014, 15:39   #1532
BANNED

Posting a query for one of my friends. Any reviews on Wanli, GT Savero and Forceum Tyres. How good are they and what are the current prices. Basically he is looking for cheaper brands that perform reasonably well off-road.
Attached Thumbnails
The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread-100_3332.jpg  

The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread-15022009.jpg  

The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread-dsc00413-1.jpg  

Last edited by Live To Jive : 30th March 2014 at 15:42. Reason: Adding pictures
Old 21st April 2014, 17:16   #1533
BHPian

Hi All,

My gypsy needs new shoes as the stock F78-15 have run more than 50K now and gone bald. Traction both onroad and offroad is non-existent.

My options

1. Go again for F78-15 from MRF. I was pretty satisfied with the performance offroad but it scores zero on puncture resistant (being 4 ply), ride quality and looks.

2. Get 205/70 R15 - Cant find any MT in this size. Only Geolander is available.

3. Get 235/75 R15 AT (Geolander?) or MT (Maxxis trepador?) I have seen both perform decently with former better onroad and latter offroad.

I am inclined towards 235/75 but have been told by more than one person that this will require negative offset rims else the tires will touch leaves.

Most of the gypsy boys in Delhi have put these negative offset alloys in their rides which have a proven track record offroad.

The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread-photo0039.jpg

I for one have no interest or money for alloys.

Is there anyway else to install 235/75 R15 in Gypsy? Spacers?

Please help.

cheers
Vishwas

p.s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
Any reviews on Wanli, GT Savero and Forceum Tyres.
@Live To Jive - The owner of gypsy that you have posted with GT Savero is a member here. He had posted a review on 4wd4all eons ago and was very happy with the performance. You can Google it. Thats where I have snipped my pic from.

Last edited by vishwaschettri : 21st April 2014 at 17:27.
Old 27th April 2014, 13:23   #1534
BHPian

Vishwas ji
You can also look to go for an MT tyre in size 215-75-15. I have been using a japanese imported tyre in this size on my gypsy since the last 4 years. On stock rims, absolutely no fouling of leaf springs. Only requires a bit of front fender trimming. Looks good too.

The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread-479888_10152599341295582_979003250_n.jpg

best regards,
Dr. A Ghosh
abheekg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2014, 15:07   #1535
BHPian

Hi Fellow BHPians,

I wanted your views on this question:

I have posted a pic of an Indian Army Jeep from the forum, if you notice the way the tyres fill up the wells.

Why don't we get the same look despite having 16 inch rims and 235 R16 tyres for eg, Yokohama or Bridgestone.

Can anyone help with this query please?
Old 1st May 2014, 15:43   #1536
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohit Tripathi View Post
Hi Fellow BHPians,

I wanted your views on this question:

I have posted a pic of an Indian Army Jeep from the forum, if you notice the way the tyres fill up the wells.

Why don't we get the same look despite having 16 inch rims and 235 R16 tyres for eg, Yokohama or Bridgestone.

Can anyone help with this query please?
Army 550 tyres are 7.50x16 that is 31" size but 235/70/R16 is 29" .
Old 1st May 2014, 21:29   #1537
BHPian

Thanks Sreejesh. I am assuming that these tyres have a higher profile than 70 or is it any other reason?
Old 9th May 2014, 14:48   #1538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abheekg View Post
Vishwas ji
You can also look to go for an MT tyre in size 215-75-15. I have been using a japanese imported tyre in this size on my gypsy since the last 4 years. On stock rims, absolutely no fouling of leaf springs. Only requires a bit of front fender trimming.
Thanks Abheek,

Please call me Vishwas only.

Hmm.. 215/75R15 is also a good size if it doesnt need any mods. Please post pics of trimmed fender if possible.

I can find Yokohama Geolander, Goodyear A/T SA and Goodyear R/T S in this size online. Pretty cheap too I must add. Let me see this weekend what the Chinese have to offer.

cheers
Vishwas
Old 9th May 2014, 16:07   #1539
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwaschettri View Post
======
1. Go again for F78-15 from MRF.
=======

2. Get 205/70 R15 - Cant find any MT in this size. Only Geolander is available.

3. Get 235/75 R15 AT (Geolander?) or MT (Maxxis trepador?) I have seen both perform decently with former better onroad and latter offroad.

I am inclined towards 235/75 but have been told by more than one person that this will require negative offset rims else the tires will touch leaves.
If you going with 235/75, then maxxis trepador is a decent choice. I had put them on stock rims and they foul by like a mm or so in extreme lock to lock situations. (IIRC they foul in both leaf side & wheel wall side also in lock-to-lock). I lived with them but that kkkrrrr noise does require getting used to when it fouls. At same time it's not something that will damage the tyre by much.

215 is a GOOD size and if you can get a MT/AT in that size, go for it. have seen it in more than one friends gyspy and this size works like a charm.

PS: If I were planning a tyre change today, a 31" height tyre with 215 width. That would be my choice.
khan_sultan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2014, 10:27   #1540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
215 is a GOOD size and if you can get a MT/AT in that size, go for it. have seen it in more than one friends gyspy and this size works like a charm.
So the master has spoken . Thanks a ton Khan.
Hmm.. not many options in 215. Let me see, your views on it are encouraging. I am getting very good deal on 215/75R15 Goodyear wrangler RT/S. Something like INR 4000 a piece. But I have read very poor reviews about them both onroad as well as offroad.
Then there is always geolander in that size. Michelin latitude cross is also available.

I am still weening towards 235/75R15 due to loads of option and kickass stance it gives to gypsy.

How is Goodyear wrangler AT/SA? Any idea? I read it has a very rugged casing and sidewalls. It is available for ~5000 a piece in 235 size.

Please note I only do mild offroading with gypsy. I need 80% onroad and 20% offroad tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
PS: If I were planning a tyre change today, a 31" height tyre with 215 width. That would be my choice.
Sirji how do I get 31" tire in 215 width ? I will need 95 profile tires or am I missing something there.

cheers
Vishwas
Old 12th May 2014, 21:04   #1541
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwaschettri View Post
... I am still weening towards 235/75R15 due to loads of option and kickass stance it gives to gypsy.
Yes. 235 give a good stance. No doubt about that :-)

Quote:
How is Goodyear wrangler AT/SA? Any idea? I read it has a very rugged casing and sidewalls. It is available for ~5000 a piece in 235 size.

Please note I only do mild offroading with gypsy. I need 80% onroad and 20% offroad tires.
No idea about GY wrangler in recent times but 6-7 years ago, this was the favorite pattern -- much like Maxxis of today. It was the 'in' tread

I have seen 215/75 of Geo AT perform admirably well in both on road & off road situations. Not one OTR or event, but this is observation over few years across different gypsies with different drivers.

Quote:
Sirji how do I get 31" tire in 215 width ? I will need 95 profile tires or am I missing something there.
That was a expression of wish (less width/more height) -- if available, I would go for that size
khan_sultan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2014, 15:47   #1542

Hello BHP'ians

I'm modifying my MM540. As a part of that awesome journey, I bought a set of army rims to fit in them. But, after reading this thread I've been propelled into a dilemma whether to fit it or not. The main reasons I feel are 1) the steering may become too tight due to the heavy rims (I'm not going in for a power steering now) and 2) The tyres that fit for the military rims are 235X75X16 Geolander tyres. As you all may know, these cannot be fitted with alloys at a later point of time. I prefer a retro look but I'm just grossly worried about the steering tightness.

It'll be great if you all can provide your expert advice on this!
Old 31st May 2014, 20:05   #1543

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Guys,
I have been using Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Tubeless Tyres on my Sierra..Awesome performence on rural and terrains..
Hi hillram,

Am planning on citing my xuv with Pirelli scorpion atr tyres. Wid really appreciate an update from ur side, especially on tread wear, punctures & comfort.

Tks
Sanju
Old 2nd June 2014, 17:29   #1544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjy_dhil View Post
1) the steering may become too tight due to the heavy rims (I'm not going in for a power steering now)
Army rims are very heavy, Somewhere in this thread, their exact weight is listed. That being said they are very tough and can take a lot of abuse.
Steering tightness is not much affected by weight of the rims. It is the width of the tire which matters more in steering effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjy_dhil View Post
2) The tyres that fit for the military rims are 235X75X16 Geolander tyres. As you all may know, these cannot be fitted with alloys at a later point of time.
You wont get alloys in 16inch with 139.7 (Jeep/Gypsy) PCD. But there is always the option of buying 16inch alloys in 160 (scorpio/safari) PCD and get spacers fabricated.

If you like army rims, I did say go for them. I have them on my 550 and have no issues.

cheers
Vishwas
Old 5th June 2014, 18:56   #1545

Thanks much Vishwas
Luckily i saw a jeep with army rims in the same workshop where my jeep is getting restored, the fellow jeeper allowed to fit his rims and tyres in my jeep for a test ride. It was not that bad in the ride quality. So planning to go for new tyres now.
The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread-screen-shot-20140605-7.05.16-pm.png

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks