Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2019, 16:43   #1651
BHPian

Re: The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread

Fellas,

Am looking for an OEM 5.5F-16" Rim (the one that comes default on the Army MM-550s) for the spare wheel for my MM-550 NGCS. With so many folks swapping them with Alloys, I wanted to check if anybody was ready to giveaway/sell the rim.
Old 21st March 2020, 07:17   #1652
BANNED

Hi,
COuld you please update me details of your Japanese tyres make and model.

Regards
Suresh

You can also look to go for an MT tyre in size 215-75-15. I have been using a japanese imported tyre in this size on my gypsy since the last 4 years. On stock rims, absolutely no fouling of leaf springs. Only requires a bit of front fender trimming. Looks good too.

Attachment 1234877

best regards,
Dr. A Ghosh[/quote]
isrsuresh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 22:40   #1653
BANNED

HI Ghosh,

Can you update me details of Japan tyre brand name and specifications

Quote:
Originally Posted by abheekg View Post
Vishwas ji
You can also look to go for an MT tyre in size 215-75-15. I have been using a japanese imported tyre in this size on my gypsy since the last 4 years. On stock rims, absolutely no fouling of leaf springs. Only requires a bit of front fender trimming. Looks good too.

Attachment 1234877

best regards,
Dr. A Ghosh
Old 7th April 2020, 20:38   #1654
BHPian

Are any off-road or A/T tyres available for the Ecosport? The OEM size is 205/60R16. I often have to drive through seriously bad "roads" at my current place of posting. I am seriously considering a downsize to 15 inch wheels and 205/70R15.
Old 31st August 2020, 05:37   #1655
Senior - BHPian

I have a Jeep Compass Limited Plus Diesel 9 Speed Automatic.

It comes standard with 225/55 R18 tyres with Alloy wheels from the factory.

These tyres are not ideal for offroad conditions as the sidewall height is quite less and there is a lot of danger of damaging the tyres and alloys in offroad condition. Secondly these tyres are not offroad tyres as their tread pattern is for highway driving. There is no All Terrain Tread pattern available in this size in the market.

However the spare tyre that comes with the car is of a different size, i.e. 215/65 R16.

Can I use this space saver tyre size 215/65 R16 size tyre on all 4 wheels when going on rough roads.

I can buy 4 new steel rims with 215/65 R16 size tyres and use them only when going on rough roads.

These tyres are better suited to rough offroad conditions as they have taller sidewall and also available in All Terrain Tread Pattern.

Are there any concerns or issues in this approach. Any issues with the Automatic gearbox or anything else.

Last edited by Traveler : 31st August 2020 at 05:38. Reason: Removed Asterisks
Old 3rd September 2020, 09:58   #1656
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Are there any concerns or issues in this approach. Any issues with the Automatic gearbox or anything else.
You can check the difference here - https://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire...&ismetric=true
Basically you would end up losing 10mm of your ground clearance.
And a small change in the speedo.
Beyond that, i do not see any issue with this approach.
Old 23rd September 2020, 10:02   #1657
BHPian

Hi

I have a 2005 Maruti Gypsy King which I recently purchased from Auto Attitudes. The car is running on a new set of Yokohama Geolander A/TS tires. The performance is really good at both, off and on the the road. But what I have seen and heard is that Yokohama Geolander tires are prone to sidewall failures while offroading. I was planning to get the Maxxis Bravo AT and was also considering Maxxis Bighorn and Maxxis Trepadors MT tires. The MT tires are great off the road but I will lose out on wet pavement grip and ride quality on road and it is an important factor as I spend more than 80% of the time on the road. Please suggest me what should I do in this case.

Thanks in advance
Akash
Old 23rd October 2020, 23:33   #1658

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akash_1806 View Post
Hi

But what I have seen and heard is that Yokohama Geolander tires are prone to sidewall failures while offroading.. The MT tires are great off the road but I will lose out on wet pavement grip and ride quality on road and it is an important factor as I spend more than 80% of the time on the road. Please suggest me what should I do in this case.
Hello akash, I would suggest you to stick to Geolander cause you spend more time on the road. If you are a mild offroader, the geolander would be more than enough for your use.
happy.camper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2021, 09:15   #1659
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi

I have a 2005 Maruti Gypsy King which I recently purchased from Auto Attitudes. The car is running on a new set of Yokohama Geolander A/TS tires. The performance is really good at both, off and on the the road. But what I have seen and heard is that Yokohama Geolander tires are prone to sidewall failures while offroading. I was planning to get the Maxxis Bravo AT and was also considering Maxxis Bighorn and Maxxis Trepadors MT tires. The MT tires are great off the road but I will lose out on wet pavement grip and ride quality on road and it is an important factor as I spend more than 80% of the time on the road. Please suggest me what should I do in this case.

Thanks in advance
Akash
The days of soft sidewalls are long gone. I have done Raid De Himalaya circuit three times on Geolander tyres on a Pajero and never even had a puncture. In over 1 Lac kilometers with two sets of Yokos I had just one puncture and that too on a smooth tarmac road due to a big bolt penetrating the face of the tyre.

The off road grip is phenomenal and it grips tarmac pretty well too. They remain pretty silent even when at the end of their life. Need for wheel balancing is also considerably less. I would suggest you retain the Yokos.
Old 4th January 2021, 22:35   #1660
BHPian

Quote:
Hi

Thanks in advance
Akash
Hi Akash,

I concur with the previous posters.

Yokohama Geolander is a very good tire. I have a 2016 Gypsy King and have driven it all over Himachal on various roads (both paved and unpaved) and have never experienced any issue however my Gypsy has just 7,500 km on the odometer.

One more tire that you can consider is the BF Goodrich T/A KO2. It is now officially available in India at a similar price point as the Geolander.

https://www.bfgoodrich.in/auto/brows...egory/off-road

KO2 is also a very popular tire among Jeep owners here. 4 of my neighbors who have Jeep Wranglers have their vehicles shod with these tires and swear by it.

I would not suggest a mud tire in view of your usage as these will be noisy, offer poor grip in the rains, and will also affect your fuel mileage adversely.
Vikram Arya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 22:46   #1661
BHPian

I hate the geolander AT/S. It has proved very puncture prone on both my Pajero SFX and my dad's Montero. I can't think of any other tyre on any vehicle in 47 years that has been so consistent in getting regularly punctured. Not to mention one that burst and two that have slow leaks but no punctures or valve failure that can be traced.

I'm looking forward to trashing the geolander AT/S on my pajero well before the tread is worn down.

I wish I could find the Hankook Dynapro MT again.
Old 17th March 2021, 23:32   #1662
GT3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
It has proved very puncture prone on both my Pajero SFX and my dad's Montero.
Since you own both the Pajero and the Montero, I would love to hear your views here: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-...s-montero.html (Used Mitsubishis : Pajero Sport vs Montero)
Old 3rd April 2021, 00:24   #1663
BHPian

Can anyone please suggest if 35 inch tyres (35/12.5 R17 Radar R7 Renegades MT) will be ok for the New Thar Diesel Automatic without necessarily needing to regear. I don't mind a little loss in power, faster off road rolling speeds and odo error as long as the mechanical components don't suffer from a lot of strain.

The original gear ratio is 4.33:1 and I can't seem to make much sense out of the the gear ratio convertor online.
https://tiresize.com/gear-ratio-calculator/

And yes.. I do realize that 35 inch tyres are not the most practical options for the new Thar and therefore I was originally planning to go in for a 33 inch tyres. But due to the whimsical import ban by the government I can't seem to find any 33 inch AT tires from a good brand which is what got me wondering on the practicality of the 35s. They do look pretty good though.
Here's are videos of a New Thar riding on 35/12.5 R17s with one in spacer lift on the front.

Thanks in advance !
Old 4th April 2021, 15:22   #1664
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaky_blinder View Post
Can anyone please suggest if 35 inch tyres (35/12.5 R17 Radar R7 Renegades MT) will be ok for the New Thar Diesel Automatic without necessarily needing to regear. I don't mind a little loss in power, faster off road rolling speeds and odo error as long as the mechanical components don't suffer from a lot of strain.
You will get a SUBSTANTIAL loss in power, not a "little loss in power".

Going for an extreme off road size tyre while running an automatic transmission seems like cross purposes to me. I think your wheel bearings may wear prematurely. Your tranny may survive it. I doubt whether you could change the differential gear ratio enough to make much difference in performance, and that is going to be an expensive proposition. What do YOU mean by "regear" exactly?

I hope you are not thinking of doing this for some notion of "good looks".

Speaking only for myself, I am going to wait and see if this import ban goes away, like a dead mongoose.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 4th April 2021 at 15:29.
DirtyDan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2021, 22:54   #1665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
What do YOU mean by "regear" exactly?
I meant changing the pinion and ring gears to a more appropriate gear ratio to better manage the balance of torque and speed caused due to change in the tyre size. Although i want to avoid that as I feel it will be an expensive and tedious project.

Quote:
I hope you are not thinking of doing this for some notion of "good looks".
I actually want to raise the ground clearance a bit more. Additionally, I feel that the original tyres on the Thar don't give it the right 'stance' and the vehicle is really calling out for bigger tyres. 33s would be perfect but as I mentioned, I am unable to find a set of 33s in a good brand.

Quote:
Speaking only for myself, I am going to wait and see if this import ban goes away, like a dead mongoose.
The ban has partially been lifted and tyre companies were granted import licensed in January but I think they are allowed to import only about 40% of their sales volumes from previous years. I discussed the issue with the regional sales head of a reputed brand and he feels that initially the tyre companies want to utilize that 40% volume to bring in tires used more commonly to cater to the demand of luxury vehicles rather than bring in niche sizes for off roaders/enthusiasts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks