Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2007, 19:31   #46
Senior - BHPian

Guys,
I have been using Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Tubeless Tyres on my Sierra..Awesome performence on rural and terrains..
Old 1st December 2007, 19:51   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Guys,
I have been using Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Tubeless Tyres on my Sierra..Awesome performance on rural and terrains..
Holy cow! Is that the Scorpion ATR, that's supposedly the best A/T tyre. How much did it cost you, how is the tyre noise? My OE tyres are quite noisy, especially for rear seat passengers, today my son was complaining about that.
Old 1st December 2007, 20:27   #48
Senior - BHPian

Sipes = edges

Sipes are the little cuts, little edges you see molded into the bigger lugs of the treads. In other countries when you buy a set of tyres, especially off-road or all purpose tyres, the bigger shops have special machines that will actually cut more sipes into the tread at evenly distributed places around the tread to give you more edges. More edges = more traction. Generally Michelin has a lot of sipes right out of production and Michelin is a great tyre. I have used the Goodyears and they are great for about 20,000k and then they develop scalping and cupping and the last 20,000k are not so pleasant. I have not tried Pirelli for awhile, having been disappointed by a set many years ago.
Old 1st December 2007, 21:06   #49
Senior - BHPian

I will add my input to this thread tomorrow but remember this Samu, the more wider the pattern (with relation to the space in the grooves of the tyre & the size of the blocks) the more noisy it'll be on-road. Make sure that you do not choose a design which becomes painfully loud on the highway.

Last edited by iraghava : 1st December 2007 at 21:08.
Old 1st December 2007, 22:06   #50
Team-BHP Support

That's why I want some first person feedback on noise.
Old 3rd December 2007, 14:20   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
I will add my input to this thread tomorrow but remember this Samu, the more wider the pattern (with relation to the space in the grooves of the tyre & the size of the blocks) the more noisy it'll be on-road. Make sure that you do not choose a design which becomes painfully loud on the highway.
Yow tyreman, where art thou?
Old 3rd December 2007, 14:48   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Yow tyreman, where art thou?
Was busy with a friend's marriage. Will reply by today evening positively.
Old 6th December 2007, 17:00   #53
Team-BHP Support

Bump .
Old 6th December 2007, 17:30   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Was busy with a friend's marriage. Will reply by today evening positively.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Bump .
Winter is setting in at NCR & weddings (that too friends weddings) take a while to get over - all that blood in the alchohol stream , I mean all that alchohol in the bloody stream, I mean.....hic, hic.......you know what I mean right
Old 6th December 2007, 17:43   #55
BHPian

@Samurai

You may want to see this page for some information on tyres.

I had 235/75R15 Bridgestone H/T tyres on my 4x2 MM540DP. They were quite good on the tarmac, but useless off it. I replaced them with the same size Michelin AT-X tubeless tyres. The ATs provide much better traction on lose surfaces and rocks. The grip on tarmac is lesser, I can feel the steering has become lighter, and it is now possible to kick the rear end out in a jeep! Tyre noise is considerable, and they often kick up small stones into the wheel arches. One also has to regularly dislodge pebbles from the treads. I haven’t driven them in mud yet, but ATs are not very good for mud. There you’ll need proper offroading M/Ts.

I feel you should avoid changing over to 235/70R16 as they will cause some under reading in your speedo and odo, and the ABS might cut in slightly early too. Instead go for 225/75R15 if you are willing to change the wheels too. It’s a common size and the higher profile will help on poor surfaces.
Old 6th December 2007, 18:26   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa_Kilo View Post
You may want to see this page for some information on tyres.
We team-bhpians have a long relationship with that web site.

Quote:
I had 235/75R15 Bridgestone H/T tyres on my 4x2 MM540DP. They were quite good on the tarmac, but useless off it. I replaced them with the same size Michelin AT-X tubeless tyres. The ATs provide much better traction on lose surfaces and rocks. The grip on tarmac is lesser, I can feel the steering has become lighter, and it is now possible to kick the rear end out in a jeep! Tyre noise is considerable, and they often kick up small stones into the wheel arches. One also has to regularly dislodge pebbles from the treads. I haven’t driven them in mud yet, but ATs are not very good for mud. There you’ll need proper offroading M/Ts.
I have heard about these issues with AT tyres, that's why I am looking very carefully. I am looking for the best compromise. But the limited selection in India is making it difficult. My H/T tyre is quite noisy already.

Quote:
I feel you should avoid changing over to 235/70R16 as they will cause some under reading in your speedo and odo, and the ABS might cut in slightly early too. Instead go for 225/75R15 if you are willing to change the wheels too. It’s a common size and the higher profile will help on poor surfaces.
I have checked already, it is only 1.9% which is very acceptable. But I didn't understand how ABS will cut-in early? Downgrading the wheels to 15", that's something Team-BHPians rarely do, I want to stick to 16" wheels.
Old 7th December 2007, 17:53   #57
BHPian

ABS will cut in slightly early because the wheel speed sensor reading will be slightly lower with the new tyres wrt the linear G sensor when braking. Same case with TCS.

I prefer 15" because higher profile tyres on them are better on rough roads/no roads.

OT: Can one cut off ABS for off-roading in the GV?
Old 25th August 2008, 22:23   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Geolander M/T vs. Maxxis Mudzilla? Price/Where

Folks,

Have zeroed down on the following 2 as the next set of tyres for my Gypsy.

Maxxis Mudzilla:
The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread-mudzilla2.jpg

Geolander Mud Terrain:
The Offroad Rims & Tyres Thread-yokohama_geolandar_mtl.jpg

My requirements are:

Should perform GREAT in the following conditions (preference in descending order):
  • Mud
  • Rock
  • Jungle/Loose Gravel Trail
  • Sand
  • Street
I am currently running 215/75/15. Have decided to put in 30x9.50R15.

Questions folks:

Where in Bangalore would these be available and at what price points?

Personally, I am more inclined towards the Geolanders over Maxxis.

Cheers,

Last edited by khan_sultan : 25th August 2008 at 22:26.
Old 26th August 2008, 12:11   #59
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Where in Bangalore would these be available and at what price points?
Maxxis have advertised in car mags showing dealers only in Delhi and Bombay. If you need the Bombay number let me know

Shahnawaz my only concern with these tyres is the road noise and increased wear on highway. Ideally we should cart them to the offroad site, have our fun, put back the road radials and drive back in comfort. This becomes an issue when you have to drive for atleast 100 or 200 kms on highways at speeds above 100.

The price is approx Rs 8500 for a 275/70 R 16 Mudzilla

Are these Geolanders available here in India? Excuse my poor knowledge but is that a model from Michelin?
Old 26th August 2008, 12:20   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
... my only concern with these tyres is the road noise and increased wear on highway. Ideally we should cart them to the offroad site, have our fun, put back the road radials and drive back in comfort. This becomes an issue when you have to drive for atleast 100 or 200 kms on highways at speeds above 100.
That's an ideal scenario. I would be happy if I get ~30K kms from these tyres in total. That would mean say 4-5 years for me in OTR's.

I feel that if one loves off-roading then I have to be prepared for all the not so nice/comfortable aspects of it also :-)

Quote:
Are these Geolanders available here in India? Excuse my poor knowledge but is that a model from Michelin?
Geolanders are a model/brand from Yokohoma.
khan_sultan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed