Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2008, 12:25   #61
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
I would be happy if I get ~30K kms from these tyres in total
These tyres generally have a softer compound to make them sticky, so their ability to withstand highway wear is compromised. The lugs would possibly wear out quicker, hence the suggestion to cart them to the site. Apart from this road drone can be quite a discomfort.

I use Dunlop Grandtreks on my 207. They are dead silent on the highway and very capable offroad. But obviously not in the league of these Mud Terrain tyres

Quote:
Geolanders are a model/brand from Yokohoma
That would anyday make them a superior product as its from Yokohama

Last edited by DKG : 26th August 2008 at 12:28.
Old 26th August 2008, 12:36   #62
Team-BHP Support

Shan, the following link gives the list of best mud tyres in the world.

Consumer Survey Results By Category

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Shanavaz, you could go for BF goodrich. They are one of the best!
Shakir was very unhappy with his BF goodrich in the Sakleshpur OTR.

Last edited by Samurai : 26th August 2008 at 12:48.
Old 26th August 2008, 12:38   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post

Maxxis Mudzilla:
Attachment 42347

Geolander Mud Terrain:
Attachment 42348

My requirements are:

Should perform GREAT in the following conditions (preference in descending order):
  • Mud
  • Rock
  • Jungle/Loose Gravel Trail
  • Sand
  • Street
I am currently running 215/75/15. Have decided to put in 30x9.50R15.

Questions folks:

Where in Bangalore would these be available and at what price points?

Personally, I am more inclined towards the Geolanders over Maxxis.

Cheers,
Shanavaz, If you want outright TRaction, you could go for the max mudzillas, they appear superior to me than the geolanders. But you will have road noise like a truck!

The geolanders are fair, but the Maxxis Mudzilla is great and you should have one real capable vehicle in Slush!

The Geos may be good on sand, but on slush, once the sipes are blocked, you have a racing slick tyre!

BTW, the max width without modding your suspension setup possible in a gypsy is 235s !
Old 26th August 2008, 14:28   #64
Senior - BHPian

Whup, whup, whup, whup

Off road tyres do not perform well on the road. You will find that the big flat surfaced lugs slip on wet hard surfaces. Other problems you have heard about, noise etc. Also, the wear on hard surfaces will put the heavy lugged tyres out of round in a very short time relatively. Then they will be an absolute hell on road, whup, whup, whup, whup, whup you to death. These tyres are very hard to balance from the day you put them on new because of the heavy tread and they really get only worse after road use. Believe me on this one, I have some experience with this dilemma.

The suggestion to have a set just for off roading is a good one. Then your first pick has the superior tread design, I think, Maxxis. If you go with a compromise tyre, all terrain, then I would say the BFGoodrich is adequate but not great.

I have seen some aggressive tread Michelins around but I am thinking maybe they were black market. Excellent tyre though.
Old 26th August 2008, 18:39   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Geolander M/T is in the Yokohama brochure but not in the pricelist.

I spoke to the company official and he said they are bringing in the M/T in abt a month's time.

There is no 29x9.5 in Yoko, Michelin, Bridgestone or BF Goodrich. They all have 30x10.5R15.

No idea abt Maxxis.
Old 26th August 2008, 19:05   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
There is no 29x9.5 in Yoko, Michelin, Bridgestone or BF Goodrich. They all have 30x10.5R15.
Yokohama also has 30*9.5/15
Old 26th August 2008, 20:47   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
I have seen some aggressive tread Michelins around but I am thinking maybe they were black market. Excellent tyre though.
@dirtydan: I use Michelin AT-X 235/70 R15 on my gypsy king. The thread pattern is good, but nowhere as great as the Mudzilla Maxis! Till date, my dates on sand have been exceptional, hence no complaints

Michelin has dealers in Chennai and Bangalore, am not sure about Dharmasala though!

One of my friends has the same 235s Michelins in his Gypsy King too. He has had a BF-G before and claims that the BF-Gs are better than Michelins, especially in slush.

Last edited by headers : 26th August 2008 at 20:48.
Old 26th August 2008, 22:04   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@dirtydan: I use Michelin AT-X 235/70 R15 on my gypsy king. The thread pattern is good, but nowhere as great as the Mudzilla Maxis! Till date, my dates on sand have been exceptional, hence no complaints

Michelin has dealers in Chennai and Bangalore, am not sure about Dharmasala though!

One of my friends has the same 235s Michelins in his Gypsy King too. He has had a BF-G before and claims that the BF-Gs are better than Michelins, especially in slush.

The main point of my post was to warn khan_sultan that he may be greatly displeased with how off road tyres perform on road. It is not a small discomfort or inconvenience. It is bigger than that. Oh, by the way, road driving will quickly round off the hard sharp edges of the lugs and tend to make them less effective off road, say, after 15k-20k or so. Been there, done that.
Old 27th August 2008, 00:06   #69
Team-BHP Support

Shan, I seriously suggest you consider the best AT tyre you can get instead of mud tyres. Most of your driving happens on the road, to reach the off-road location.

Check out this list: Consumer Survey Results By Category
Old 27th August 2008, 03:13   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Shan, I seriously suggest you consider the best AT tyre you can get instead of mud tyres. Most of your driving happens on the road, to reach the off-road location.

Check out this list: Consumer Survey Results By Category
cheers: @ Samurai..checked on the link, very informative and detailed..was happy to see my tyres "Goodyear Wrangler" at a commanding 2nd place..
Old 27th August 2008, 08:07   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuffRyder View Post
cheers: @ Samurai..checked on the link, very informative and detailed..was happy to see my tyres "Goodyear Wrangler" at a commanding 2nd place..
You have the SilentArmor? Didn't know they stock it in India, the regular Wrangler is ranked at lowly 18 and 19 rank.
Old 27th August 2008, 09:45   #72
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The main point of my post was to warn khan_sultan that he may be greatly displeased with how off road tyres perform on road. It is not a small discomfort or inconvenience. It is bigger than that. Oh, by the way, road driving will quickly round off the hard sharp edges of the lugs and tend to make them less effective off road, say, after 15k-20k or so. Been there, done that.
I think this is a very valid point. Its just not about being able to live with the ridiculous level of noise they make on the highway. You really do end up ruining them using them at highway speeds. The max you would do off road is 30-40 kmph, the bulk even slower at 5-10 kmph. Imagine the wear that would take place cruising at 100 on bitumen.

I strongly suggest to cart the mud tyre set to the offroading venue and then put back the highway radials once you are done. I intend doing just this as Rs 30000+ for a set of four mud tyres is not a small amount to not care about making them last longer. And as Dan said once you've eroded their lugs what use are they offroad? Give it a thought guys.

One problem with A/T tyres is they don't have extra reinforcement on shoulder/side walls. In certain offroad situations, like the extremely narrow jungle trails I've been going on, you risk damaging the side wall. I've been using the Dunlop Grandtreks on my truck which are awesome highway tyres with moderate offroad ability. I must have scraped one of the sides sometime over this past year weakening it at a spot, this last weekend while going through a small rivulet as the tyre hit a bump after crossing, it simply blew through a clean rupture on the side wall. Good mud tyres have a extra side wall protector, so for serious offroading its better to invest in stuff that can withstand the beating.

Also would recommend always picking up a set of five tyres as if ever you damage one you have a new one to replace it with immediately.

Last edited by DKG : 27th August 2008 at 09:59.
Old 27th August 2008, 12:35   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Oh dear Samurai, how i'd love to disagree with you!

Quote:
Dan, while i agree to your point 10%, the main objective for Khan was a good set of off road tyres. If THAT is the objective, then all the rest take a backseat. Also, Most offroaders do NOT use their vehicles for a daily ON ROAD use.

The occasional travelling to an offroad location say 30 odd kms away is not a problem at all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
I think this is a very valid point. Its just not about being able to live with the ridiculous level of noise they make on the highway. You really do end up ruining them using them at highway speeds. The max you would do off road is 30-40 kmph, the bulk even slower at 5-10 kmph. Imagine the wear that would take place cruising at 100 on bitumen.

I strongly suggest to cart the mud tyre set to the offroading venue and then put back the highway radials once you are done. I intend doing just this as Rs 30000+ for a set of four mud tyres is not a small amount to not care about making them last longer. And as Dan said once you've eroded their lugs what use are they offroad? Give it a thought guys.

Also would recommend always picking up a set of five tyres as if ever you damage one you have a new one to replace it with immediately.
Sir, Most serious offroad vehicles hardly cross 80 Kmph!

Also, Is it a practical solution to cart 4 offroad tyres to the offroad spot and change them at location.

Am sorry, but have you been to any serious OffRoad? Are there places marked "This is an offroad location" or do you discover the place as you travel by ?

What about the tyre change procedure? Do you have any?

No offense to you sir, Maybe you are way too distinguished for my understanding.

So long!
Old 27th August 2008, 13:10   #74
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is it a practical solution to cart 4 offroad tyres to the offroad spot and change them at location.
No one drives on racing slicks on highways till they reach a race track and race!

The same way if you desire your extreme offroad tyres to be in great shape you will find ways to change them onsite.

On the other hand if in your opinion its not worth the bother then as Samurai suggested its best to stick to A/T's
Old 27th August 2008, 13:33   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
No one drives on racing slicks on highways till they reach a race track and race!
Sir, thats a very smart analogy. For that matter no race car is ever driven on the road, FYI.

They are transported in trucks / transporters to the track.

Now do you suggest that offroad vehicles also be transported in a transporter?

Most Viewed