Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2021, 15:40   #1

My Mahindra CL500 MD 2WD

Hello BHPians,

Happy to be part of the forum and look forward to learning from the gurus and enthusiasts and share learnings wherever I can with the community.

Recently bought a CL500MD 2WD. Am the fifth owner and the jeep probably ran 100K plus. The last owner spent some good money as probably apparent; I have driven jeeps earlier and I thought this behaved well and is in stock condition (I think) barring the seats. Eager to hear views and opinions basis some snaps I have attached here.

As part of the education, I did go through a lot of threads. Though focused on CJ3Bs and DIs it really did help me orient myself on some basics.
I do want to keep it “stock” as much as I can. I have always loved the 3+1 gear combination and have read in this forum that the engine here is pretty reliable, so there goes. I don’t intend to off-road (2WD by choice), my tally will be 15-20 km every alternate day, averaging 40-50 km/hr and on pretty good roads. Thought prudent to keep “stock” barring the below:

1. Disc instead of drum brakes; any recommendations on which ones I should go for?
2. ARC front shock absorbers – I liked what I saw of reviews on YouTube but way above my budget (28K); any alternate recommendations here?
3. Can’t see my side mirrors at all even with the tarp flaps well strapped. Any suitable mirrors, though not very large
4. Does not have seat belts and suggestions on what works well here?
5. Can I fix a handbrake?

The tyres are currently 16’ nylon; my uncle gifted me 2016 Thar CRDEe rims and have ordered a spacer + convertor to use 245/75/R16 or 235/75/R16 tyres.

Some clarifications and excuses if some appear silly:

1. For my “first” service at the Mahindra Service Centre, I have listed oil change, brake fluid change, cleaning the oil and diesel filters. Is there anything else I should add to the list like spark plugs, fan belt, radiator, nozzles?

2. What should I check for on a daily/weekly basis to keep it prim? For e.g. water in the radiator, battery, pumping?

3. If I don’t drive it for a couple of days or after a day of heavy downpour, the battery has the habit of stalling and then jerks on after I wait out a minute or two. I have ordered a replacement, but anything specific to on-going maintenance on battery for the jeep I should be aware of?

4. Engine oil recommendations?

5. Also, I have seen YouTube videos where folks just top up the engine oil themselves (not changing); is that recommended?

6. Can we use coolant instead of water in the radiator? Almost sure that this is a stupid question

7. Exhaust pipe
(i) can I fit one where the exhaust is at the full rear instead of side rear
(ii) is there a way I can reduce the exhaust fumes; I did see a couple of threads on FIP but the takeaway looked like don’t fool around unless you have a real expert which is dicey and I think BOSCH. If you notice the pics, my mom and wife tend to a small but neat garden and with the limited space and the way the exhaust is positioned, I am playing spoil-sport

8. Any specific areas of the jeep which is prone to rust quickly; I live near the shore and therefore. I intend to paint the undercarriage soon and any specific recommendations on metal paint will also be much welcome

Again, feel privileged to be part of this community and look forward to hearing and advice from the experts.

Regards
Attached Thumbnails
My Mahindra CL500 MD 2WD-engine-bay.jpg  

My Mahindra CL500 MD 2WD-front-bay.jpg  

My Mahindra CL500 MD 2WD-front-view.jpg  

My Mahindra CL500 MD 2WD-instrument-console.jpg  

My Mahindra CL500 MD 2WD-plate.jpg  

My Mahindra CL500 MD 2WD-rear-view.jpg  

My Mahindra CL500 MD 2WD-view.jpg  

nohassle is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 19th June 2021, 21:44   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: My Mahindra CL500 MD 2WD

Congratulations upon becoming the proud owner of the CL 500 MD. It appears to be a pretty neat bodyline. The engine has run 100 K kms, but this should not be much of a botheration. Proper upkeep and timely maintenance will ensure that the machine so designed to run against all odds, doing its job to your satisfaction.

Your queries are related to aftermarket add ons on the original design that we can leave to experts to answer. However, as regards OE, a handbrake can be surely fitted. The lever is placed below the dash panel on the driver's side. It used to be an OE with the CJ 3B/4A series. This body is derived from the CJ 4 A.

For seat belts, please check those for the Mahindra Thar or also the Mahindra Major. The Major used to have a front bench seat however.

Please get the fuel tank cleaned thoroughly for sediments that could have collected over a period of time.

If the battery needs a change, please go for a new one. Though the engine runs without a battery (a rare case in a modern automobile) please change the battery as the headlights, indicators, wipers, parking lights and the horn fully depend on the battery power.

Engine oil used to earlier be SAE 40 (SAE grade) as recommended after its launch. But now in the age of multi grade oils 15W-40W or 20-40W grade engine oil for diesel engines is used. It needs seven litres of fresh engine oil to replenish, after an oil change. Oil filter must compulsorily be changed with every oil change.

After the oil change you can run for the recommended kms merely by topping up the oil whenever required to do so.

On a daily basis, the radiator water and engine oil need to be checked before every use.

If there is no coolant chamber added by the previous owner/s, there is no need to mix coolant with water in the radiator.

For a demonstration of DIY oil change you can view this video. However, box spanners and not ring spanners are preferable for such jobs. Especially for the engine oil drain nut and also the oil filter housing nut tightening, box spanners do the job well and do not create bald spaces on the nut head in case of misses. Such bald spaces are dangerous. And always a proper sized and clean funnel needs to be used unlike the makeshift one used by this person..

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 19th June 2021 at 21:50.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 20th June 2021, 07:44   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Any specific areas of the jeep which is prone to rust quickly; I live near the shore and therefore. I intend to paint the undercarriage soon and any specific recommendations on metal paint will also be much welcome
You've also asked about rusting since your are based near the sea coast. Overall, I would say that Mahindras are slightly less prone to rusting than Ambassadors and Premiers.

But it starts in the floor area especially in the driver's cabin in the portion below the accelerator, brake and clutch pedal placement. The floor area on both sides in this location is where it could start.

Also the entire chassis needs to be well treated to preempt signs of rusting.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2021, 08:17   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Though the engine runs without a battery (a rare case in a modern automobile)
I am not sure what this means. Does it mean the engine is hand cranked or something?
Could you explain this more please for us muggles?
RedTerrano is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2021, 12:16   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano View Post
I am not sure what this means. Does it mean the engine is hand cranked or something?
Could you explain this more please for us muggles?
Thanks for going through the post and raising this query.

The MD 2350 International diesel used here as we all know was a straight lift from the International tractor model that Mahindra was manufacturing in the 1970's. They played a googly against the fuel shock of 1973, coming out with the CJ 500 D in 1975 as a first among all Indian car makers.

This engine is very crude and noisy, had the provision for a heater switch on the dash to heat it (battery operated) in cold weather, when starting it could be at times troublesome. The engine needed adequate battery power to crank it to life, else with a low battery or even no battery, the driver would have to resort to get it pushed with the help of a few persons to get it started. That's in case there was no jump start option available. And now coming to the point, the engine once started this way, never needed the battery's electrical power to run. Even the Mico Bosch fuel pump did not require battery power, unlike its successor, the MM 540 DP (2112 cc Peugeot engine) whose rotary fuel pump was battery powered. Hence, the MD 2350 engine could run without a battery. But the self starter and other electrical equipment very much needed the battery support.

The engine can also be hand cranked with the crank handle as an aftermarket accessory though, but there was no OE as such from Mahindra. Also a hole needs to be drilled on the front bumper at the appropriate spot.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 20th June 2021, 12:38   #6
BHPian

Thank you for the explanation. It all makes sense now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
This engine is very crude and noisy, had the provision for a heater switch on the dash to heat it (battery operated) in cold weather, when starting it could be at times troublesome.
This revived some latent childhood memories.

One of our neighbours were from an active farming family. Once a month, some relative from their village used to visit them in a Jeep, which I realise now, must have been a CL500.
In the morning, it was a familiar sight to see all men of their household bunch up near the engine with the hood popped up. After a few minutes, someone would light a torch (some rags tied to the end of a rod), stuff it somewhere in the engine bay, and eventually the engine would belch thick black smoke and reluctantly come to life.

Having seen the wood fired water heaters at my grandma's place, I used to think, the Jeep too was fire driven!
RedTerrano is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th June 2021, 14:37   #7

Re: My Mahindra CL500 MD 2WD

Hello BHPians,

Can more members help here; am handing over the jeep in the next 2-3 weeks to the mechanic to see the changes through. Will see change of ownership, decision on tyres (thinking AT 235/75/R16 or 245/75/R16; spacers have arrived) by then.

I did look up the rules to make sure my rejoinder isn't in haste since the last post on the 19th; looked OK and therefore. Much appreciate further inputs esp. on the clarifications sought on maintenance.

Dear Anjan - thanks much for your very detailed responses.

Regards
Old 7th November 2021, 15:23   #8

My Mahindra CL500 MD 2WD

Back in action after a few months in the garage. Major changes were (1) replaced the front differential from that of a Bolero (2) replaced the drum brakes with disc (3) hanging pedals (4) 245/75 R16 General tyres (Thar rims)

Suggestions on the below are welcome:
1) I have got the regular Mahindra flares on, but the front tyres are still two and a half inches off; need to figure flares which will accommodate the width of the tyres.

2) thinking of decarbonizing the engine as well, not sure if it will help reduce the fumes.

3) the right air pressure for the tyres

Look forward.
Attached Images

nohassle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2023, 19:13   #9

Re: My Mahindra CL500 MD 2WD

Was the front axle from the bolero a straight fit, or does it require cutting and welding? And what is the track difference between the front and back axles after swapping?

I own a 93 Jeep commander 650Di , Thinking of changing the front axle.

Most Viewed