Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2023, 04:41   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: SUV violently shuddering while trying to get out of beach sand in 4L

Since you were stuck and trying to get out, and nothing immediately in front of the car, I'd keep the steering straight to try and work my way out, and then steer myself to where i wanted to go once free.

Also, one more thing i learnt when off-roading in sand is not to apply the brakes when trying to stop the car, rather allowing it to slowly coast to a stop owing to the natural braking provided by the soft sand. This way, you haven't dug yourself in inadvertently even when parking the car.

Between, the air pressures in the tyres being higher than what we intended owing to hot sand reminds me of the episode I had, mentioned in this post.

Stuck in soft sand (Sand driving and getting stuck - Bribie Island adventures with 4x4 SUVs in Australia)

SUV violently shuddering while trying to get out of beach sand in 4L-stuck-2.jpg
benbsb29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2023, 08:54   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Since you were stuck and trying to get out, and nothing immediately in front of the car, I'd keep the steering straight to try and work my way out, and then steer myself to where i wanted to go once free.
Actually, the problem I had encountered was that the sand further ahead was even softer, and beyond that lay a slushy semi-dried up lagoon, and so I was desperately trying to force a turn while moving forward, and yes, this got me further into a soup. Fortunately, I somehow got the car to start reversing from here.

Quote:
Also, one more thing i learnt when off-roading in sand is not to apply the brakes when trying to stop the car, rather allowing it to slowly coast to a stop owing to the natural braking provided by the soft sand. This way, you haven't dug yourself in inadvertently even when parking the car.
Great advice thanks! If I recall correctly, when I had parked the car in the soft sand I did use the brakes, which I'm sure dug me in.

This was an nice read, thanks for sharing.
corneliu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2023, 13:57   #18
Senior - BHPian

Try getting some beadlocks for the Hilux and get the right tyres and go down to 5-10Psi for Sand, it should do a beach easily. While you are in the process research some OME or Ironman lift kids. A proper set of wheels, tyres and suspension will help a lot in offroad.
svsantosh is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks