Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2024, 21:38   #61
BHPian

Re: Enabling 2WD Low Mode (2WDL) for the Maruti Jimny: A simple modification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Given I have driven on sealed surfaces with steep gradients on 4L - I do not think there is any issue as long as your tire size is stock, your vehicle is not overloaded and you are easy on the A pedal
Tyre size is irrelevant here. As long as you are driving straight in 4WD its okay but as soon as you start taking a turn on tarmac/friction full surface you risk winding up TM depending upon the angle of the turn you are taking and how long turn you are taking.
mathur2012 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2024, 14:56   #62
BHPian

Re: Enabling 2WD Low Mode (2WDL) for the Maruti Jimny: A simple modification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post

Providing 2L would mean more parts to not let the front and rear shafts to lock in 2L and then another system to lock the front and rear shafts in 4L. So TC size would increase - as per my understanding. Is it worth the additional development would be the question for the manufacturer to cater to a very minuscule user base for 2L?
Hi,

Thanks for the reply and explanation. I would like to differ on the quoted part only. TC size won't increase. Why? Look into the TC operational mechanism. There is only an interlock in the TC preventing it from slotting into 2WD-L. If the interlock is removed 2WD-L is quite possible without adding any other component.

Reference with Links.
https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?t=229293

Enabling 2WD Low Mode (2WDL) for the Maruti Jimny: A simple modification-interlock_.jpg

https://www.cj3b.info/Tech/2WDLowRange.html

Enabling 2WD Low Mode (2WDL) for the Maruti Jimny: A simple modification-interlock_lever_2.jpg

Even Late BD Sir also touched upon this earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Tini - please refer the original Jeep manual. 2WD low is not to be engaged. Axle shaft will break. I have broken it, just to see, it snapped like a matchstick! In your specific case it worked because you were going downhill so you were not torquing the axle shafts. That's why T18 transfer case has an interlock. As long as 4WD is not engaged, the smallest lever will not go towards the front, means low will not be engaged.
Enabling 2WD Low Mode (2WDL) for the Maruti Jimny: A simple modification-gl.jpg

Remember these gear levers. Heavy load-hauling trucks do have such setups. They have huge gearbox to accommodate the extra cogs! I believe TC reduced this enormous size of GB by providing a single reduction gear system. The net result is quite similar.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks