Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2007, 13:31   #1
BHPian

4x4 for dummies

Being a newbie when it comes to various 4x4 systems I found this site exteremely helpful http://4x4abc.com/4WD101/4WD-AWD-autoAWD.html

In a nutshell this is what I learnt;-
  • Part time 4x4 : Have Front & rear Differentials & No center diff. (2 diff.)Cannot be used on pavement on Hi or Lo.
  • Full Time 4x4 : Front & Rear diff. + Central Diff.(3 diff.) Can be used on dry pavement on HI.But need all diffs to be locked when going off road.
  • Automatic 4x4 : Are normally 2 wheel drive, converts torque to other other wheels when traction is needed. Read not competant in extereme off road scenarios.
  • Combination 4x4 : A combination of one or more of the above systems.
However I have no clue as to which system SUV's in India utilize.
Based on Judgement I think this is how they would be classified. Owners may feel free to correct me if my assumptions are wrong.

I would think competant 4x4 would use Part time systems such as Endevour, Safari, Gypsy (all jeeps) & Scorpio.
Cars oriented more towards handling would use AWD, such as the Forrester.
Automatic 4x4 : More for traction on gravel and grass rather than out and out off-roading, such as Honda CRV.
I have no clue about combination systems. Wonder what exotics such as the Cayenne, Q7, & the Touareg use ?

Cheers!
Old 8th November 2007, 14:22   #2
Senior - BHPian

You seem to have missed the most competent offroaders of them all - the Gurkha or the Judo, from Force motors.
Old 8th November 2007, 15:01   #3
BHPian

it will be quite useful for a few if this thread be used to discuss 4x4 systems rather than drooling about capabilities of individual brands and models.

i did come across atleast one time in my life when i had an organisation's Isuzu Trooper's key to myself and was scared to use the 4x4 options for fear of breaking something. i did learn in due course. but still not too confident as i dont own a 4x4.

any of the slush champs to educate please?
Old 8th November 2007, 15:49   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Automatic 4x4 : Are normally 2 wheel drive, converts torque to other other wheels when traction is needed. Read not competant in extereme off road scenarios.
Most of these cars are usually FWD. There is a transmission shaft connecting front and rear wheels with a viscous coupling. Under normal run, it works like FWD. The RWs rotate at same rate and both parts of front and rear shaft moves at same speed (they behave as if discontinuous on the viscous coupling section)

==========||=========

But when front wheel slips, there becomes speed difference between front and rear part of the shafts (because FWs slip and RWs are stationary), then viscous coupling causes the two parts of the shaft to behave like a single shaft - so transmission is carried out to rear wheels as well. When front wheels get back traction, it again becomes FWD only.
Old 8th November 2007, 17:58   #5
Senior - BHPian

most 4x4

To answer your question, most 4x4s in India and everywhere else, I think, are part time 4x4s. A small minority of these also have locking differentials or owners have modified them to add Lock dif.
Old 8th November 2007, 19:23   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
A small minority of these also have locking differentials or owners have modified them to add Lock dif.
Can you please give some more info about such retrofits and where these are done.
Old 9th November 2007, 11:11   #7
Senior - BHPian

Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Can you please give some more info about such retrofits and where these are done.

There was a guy in Kahmere Gate, Delhi doing this kind of thing but his web site in gone and so is his mobile. Suggest you PM GTO. I am looking for someone myself now. I am wondering if there is someone in Delhi or Chandigarh that does 4x4 work. These are the closest big cities to me.
Old 9th November 2007, 13:21   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There was a guy in Kahmere Gate, Delhi doing this kind of thing but his web site in gone and so is his mobile.
Thanks DD. Will try to find out. But I'm certainly not interested in a fly by night operator.
Old 10th November 2007, 15:00   #9
Senior - BHPian

4x4 For DUMMIES - OTR Meet

Hi TBHPians,

We can have a 4x4 meet for all TBHPians interested in 4WDs & off-road driving.

The Chennai TBHPians can organize this meet.

Regards,

Arka
Old 12th November 2007, 11:39   #10
Senior - BHPian

TBHP - 4x4 for DUMMIES

Hello TBHPians,

The C-Bhpians (Chennai BHP) met on Saturday @ WOODLANDS DRIVE-IN, and after much debating we ended up at "Headers" pad for a round of drinks and pizza.

The C-Bhpians decided to host a 4x4 for Dummies off-road Sunday on the 09-12-2007 in Chennai.

All TBHPians are cordially invited especially the experienced off-roaders, we would love to have some experts helping us out.

Regards,

Arka
Old 12th November 2007, 12:03   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
The C-Bhpians decided to host a 4x4 for Dummies off-road Sunday on the 09-12-2007 in Chennai.
I'll try my best to attend this one.
Old 12th November 2007, 12:06   #12
BHPian

Quote:

All TBHPians are cordially invited especially the experienced off-roaders, we would love to have some experts helping us out.
that's good to hear Arka,

i will miss it though, wish i could visit my hometown as often.

whoever goes to this meet please post pics and details of whatever learnt / experienced. experience of off-roading from a learner's perspective should be a good read for other beginners who will miss this.
Old 14th November 2007, 11:44   #13
BHPian

Quote:
To answer your question, most 4x4s in India and everywhere else, I think, are part time 4x4s. A small minority of these also have locking differentials or owners have modified them to add Lock dif.

When a part time 4x4 normally comes with 2 differentails ( front & rear), does the addition of a centarl diff. make it more competant. If yes how.

In a full time system I understand its torsen (Torque sensing), or viscous coupling (Ressistance) etc.

Now which is more competant a part time or a full time system when it comes to getting out of extereme situations & why.

Last edited by Torque-ative : 14th November 2007 at 11:46.
Old 14th November 2007, 12:31   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpscars View Post
that's good to hear Arka,

i will miss it though, wish i could visit my hometown as often.

whoever goes to this meet please post pics and details of whatever learnt / experienced. experience of off-roading from a learner's perspective should be a good read for other beginners who will miss this.
Picasa Web Albums - MadMax - Chennai OTR 4/3

these were some of the pics taken during an OTR at Chennai in march.
Old 29th November 2007, 16:43   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My tickets are booked, I am all set for this.

PS: I am coming armed only with my camera.

Last edited by Samurai : 29th November 2007 at 16:50.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks